Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75D vs 90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Someone wrote a cool app to actually use the roadways to estimate a more accurate 150 mile perimeter.
You can check it out here: How Far Can I Travel

Just had a look at the app, it is pretty clever. But clearly England is just tiny, 150 miles using roadways from my house seems to cover pretty much a significant area of the landmass.

31198160895_8a373f84d7_c.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: mkq786 and vandacca
I have a 2016 70.

This is the first I've read that it can be charged to 100% daily.

Is this true?

The reason that is a statement out there is Tesla put a 75kw pack in your car (you can check under the front right wheel well). Charging a 70kw to 100% is only 93% of the battery capacity so you aren't actually taking it up all the way. If my napkin math is right your car charged to 96.42% (give or take) equals 90% of the 75Kw pack and is a safe number to charge to daily. Other folks can correct me but I feel like thats the right number.

**Edit
The one thing which is an unknown I think still is how they lock out that last 5kw from you... If they just limit all cells to hold less then you can charge higher. If they outright block that 5kw of cells from use then you wouldn't want to always charge those cells up as high. I think its a black box that only tesla really knows how it works and hasn't shared.

Last edited:
I think it really depends on where you live and what your planning to do.

I live pretty bang in the middle of the UK (Leicester - won the English Soccer championship last year)

Working on the basis our 60kWh Model X will have a realistic motorway range of 150miles when driven at 70mph and heater on, I drew a circle around my house to see just what kind of range that covers. Add in the numerous superchargers dotted on the major roads, I was surprised to see if on a family holiday stopping at any one of those charger points would give us enough range to reach pretty much the whole of the UK without any worries.

Of course a bigger battery is nice but the price differential between our 60kWh X and 90D is in the region of £20K, which is probably enough to pay for a bare bones M3 when it arrives!! If I lived in the US and needed to travel 300 miles+ regularly it would be a different.

@mkq786 When did you last have a chance to drive a car for 2hr+ none stop at 70mph+ living in HK?? The main advantage of a 90D over 75D is in those long trips driving at speed, where you need the extra kWh to act as a buffer to make sure you can make it the last stretch or you want to drive be able to drive at 80mph rather than 65mph. I current drive a 24kWh Leaf, and even with a range of only 70 miles in winter I've covered 12K miles around the city with no issues. Not having a home charger is an issue, but even so I cannot see the extra 30 miles of range in a 90D making your life $10K better off compared to a 75D.

31157665536_f88ec0b286_c.jpg
Thanks guys for these great inputs. I am also gonna decide whether to go for 75d or 90d. We have only three choices and obviously p100d is out of question which leave us with two only. I will be mainly using here in city as we cant go on longer routes here in Hong Kong. Weather is not so cold here. I am bit ignorant on the calculations side so i was just wondering if its really worth on long term bss to spend this extra 10K for 90d.

Though i do hv concerns for frequent charging and depletion as i will be charging at super chargers only.

Thanks mate. My concern is the capacity and i am afraid to go charge the car frequently and considering with time it may degrade, and Tesla recommending to charge upto 90% only. Some people also advising that last 10-15 pct charges very slow which means one may not fully charge and thus reducing it further. It will cost me USD10K extra but if this is worth on long term basis i can consider.

Reactions: gangzoom
It will cost me USD10K extra but if this is worth on long term basis i can consider.

I don't think anyone can answer that apart from your self. The 60D fits my needs because I have a home charger and charging it to 100% is essentially the same as charging a 75D to 80-90% and I simply couldn't justify the cost difference between a 60D and 90D for the sake of an extra 50 miles of range versus our usage/free supercharging.

The price difference between a 75D and 90D is smaller and in the grand scheme of things $10K a horrific extra amount to pay, but if your really worried about the hassle of public charging why not wait for the 100D...Though clearly if you wait too long supercharging wouldn't be free any more.

Reactions: mkq786
Bringing this up.
Wife and I looking at Inventory MX.

FSD, 4yr Warranty, 6 seater
75D v 90D

3.5 years on from this thread - any updates or recommendations?

Essentially that is what we are looking at too. I've found it hard to justify the increase in price for the 90D for 20 more miles of range at 100% charge (257 vs. 237, and 4.8 second 0-60 versus 4.9 seconds). The 90Ds seem to be priced roughly the same 10% more now that they were back in 2016/2017 so given the depreciation it amounts to about $5-6K extra right now.

Reactions: E Dizzle
Essentially that is what we are looking at too. I've found it hard to justify the increase in price for the 90D for 20 more miles of range at 100% charge (257 vs. 237, and 4.8 second 0-60 versus 4.9 seconds). The 90Ds seem to be priced roughly the same 10% more now that they were back in 2016/2017 so given the depreciation it amounts to about $5-6K extra right now.
Weighing those options, too. I have a Model 3 and want to get the wife an X.

Far more important than thinking about range or 0-60 times is to make sure the 75 or 90 hasn't been Supercharged to death by the previous owners!!

I had a P85D loaner S recently, fab 0-100mph time, interior still in nice state, even door handles all still worked.....But despite only having done 56k miles, it Supercharged at less than 30KW even with a warmed up battery!!!

This poor loaner would have been DC rapid charged by every driver, abused with insane mode constantly, and probably charged to 100% all the time too. That's what an abused Tesla battery pack looks like in real life, Nissan Leaf DC rapid charging speeds :(.

49723350421_9e8fc59ed4_c_d.jpg

Where as my 75D X, with 36k miles on be clock will hit nearly 120KW still because I only ever use DC rapid charging on road trips, which makes up less than 5% of my total mileage.

49503048103_e6107f28e6_c_d.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: E Dizzle
75 is a good pack, especially the 2017+. 75 pack manufactured in 2017 probably still clocks 71-72kWh usable today, whereas the 90 packs degrade considerably faster. Given that those had 81kWh as new, they are probably hovering somewhere between 74 - 78kWh today. Moreover, the 75 charges well between 5..65%, averaging over 90kW for such session (130kW peak rate). This is really not the case for the older 90 packs, they may peak slightly higher but taper really fast.