Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

8.0 (2.50.185) caution using TACC/Autosteer features

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately AP1 cars behave the same in that regards. If you engage TACC with max of 40mph but is actually cruising at 15mph, and the a car in front of you changed lane, it will accelerate to 40mph very quickly despite there's another car in front further down going at 15mph.

Reactions: Alketi
After approximately 8 hours and 100 miles of driving, camera calibration completed on my AP2 which allowed me to activate the limited feature set that was released for 8.0 2.50.185 on AP2 hardware.

I enabled auto steer, and early collision avoidance assist.

I was doing cruise control at 65mph and had 3 occasions where a "phantom red car" jumped in front of my dashboard which immediately causes the model x to slow down.

Each time I turned off cruise control by hitting the brakes to take back full control. This is very problematic as randomly hard breaking for no reason poses a danger to cars behind me who would not see that behavior coming.

Second issue I have found is that adaptive cruise control at the default setting (2) tails a car far too closely. I am estimating it is only 1.5 seconds to hit the car in front of me. I would consider this extreme tailgating.

I will likely turn off collision detection for now and increase the following distance and then cautiously monitor the results for following distances and general "sense of safety".

Take my advice, change that TACC distance to AT LEAST 5 or 6, otherwise you won't have the car very long....a setting of 2 only covers speeds at or below 20 mph, AT 60 mph you are going to hit and probably kill somebody, not to mention risking your car and your well being. I keep mine at 7 too, and it always brakes in sufficient time to decelerate to a stop when traffic comes to a standstill in front of us, even at highway speeds.

A setting of 2 is going to wait until the shortest possible distance BEFORE beginning to brake, that is why it is behaving in an 'unsafe' manner, chalk it up to operator error. Do as I suggest and it will be far safer for you and those around you, and enjoy driving in your new Tesla!

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Blastphemy
MXWing: I wouldn't feel obligated to defend your statements to everyone who questions them. I'm mostly interested in your opinion since you are one of the only people with one of these. Your opinions can't be wrong and they are just as important as the intentions of the developers who wrote the update. If you feel unsafe that seems to be enough of a data point and I'm personally interested in all of your observations. More observations. Ignore the folks who say you are wrong. You can't be wrong.

We're having a discussion. A discussion involves back and forth.

If my post is one of the ones that you are referring to when you suggest @MXWing not listen to people who are telling him he is wrong, I want to point out that I did not do that. I let him know how TACC on AP1 cars used to work, and the improvement, as I saw it, that Tesla made to it. It's entirely possible that AP2 is behaving in a different, less safe way. But in my opinion, AP1 TACC now handles cars cutting into our lane much better than it did before, with no unnecessary braking for cars moving fast enough. Since we have no reports of TACC rear-ending cars in this situation, I'd say that is pretty solid evidence that it is working well. Again--I am talking about AP1. I can't say anything, obviously, about AP2.

Serious question:
Does Tesla have employees or volunteers to drive these vehicles, in real time parallel to customer/owners, strictly to get the software up to speed and safe?
And also:
It seems to me that post #1 information would do greater good to all concerned if it were placed in the hands of the people who are actually developing these features. Public displays like this thread seem counter intuitive/productive to me....

Serious question:
Does Tesla have employees or volunteers to drive these vehicles, in real time parallel to customer/owners, strictly to get the software up to speed and safe?
And also:
It seems to me that post #1 information would do greater good to all concerned if it were placed in the hands of the people who are actually developing these features. Public displays like this thread seem counter intuitive/productive to me....
I'm sure the OP has reported this to Tesla, but you can be certain Tesla has an employee hired to scour this website and forward important info to the right departments.

What we really need is ADAPTIVE FOLLOW DISTANCE. Less space at slower speeds and more space at higher speeds. For example, 4-5 seems to work for 50MPH and below. 6-7 is needed for 60-70. Even more than 7 is needed for 75-80.

Not sure how your manual reads, but for AP 1.0 it is said to be a following distance in units of time, so indeed the gap gets wider at higher speeds. Of course, it may simply be that the effect isn't as pronounced as you want. It's amusing because I've heard more complaints in NorCal (home of extreme tailgaters) from folks sitting in my car that even a distance of 2-3 allows other cars in.

What does these numbers even mean? Car lengths? I wish Tesla would calibarate them with time instead of distance. So we can choose from 1-3 seconds of following time in 0.5s increments which will automatically adjust for speed.

They ARE calibrated in time according to the manual.

upload_2017-1-2_13-37-57.png

Edit: So, I saw no mention of time, car length, feet, meters, and it should adjust to speed. Call it Elon distance.

Last edited:
I was going 70 and had a car "cut" in front of me. TACC did not slow down the vehicle speed as I quickly saw the speedometer never dropped.

After having driven over 20k miles with AP, I am convinced that this is actually a very nice feature that I have come to appreciate. When someone cuts in front of you and driving at the same speed, the car shouldn't jerk and pull back immediately, but instead slowly ease out. There is no need to do any jerky movements.

Although it makes you nervous initially, it is not unsafe. If for any reason the car that cut you slows down dramatically, your car will also slow down accordingly and will not rear end.

After having driven over 20k miles with AP, I am convinced that this is actually a very nice feature that I have come to appreciate. When someone cuts in front of you and driving at the same speed, the car shouldn't jerk and pull back immediately, but instead slowly ease out. There is no need to do any jerky movements.

Although it makes you nervous initially, it is not unsafe. If for any reason the car that cut you slows down dramatically, your car will also slow down accordingly and will not rear end.
If there's a gap in front of my AP1 car and there's a car cutting in front of me, the car brakes pretty hard to keep the following distance instead of slowly ease out. Normally I would just lift off the accelerator but this car brakes when using AP.

After approximately 8 hours and 100 miles of driving, camera calibration completed on my AP2 which allowed me to activate the limited feature set that was released for 8.0 2.50.185 on AP2 hardware.

I enabled auto steer, and early collision avoidance assist.

I was doing cruise control at 65mph and had 3 occasions where a "phantom red car" jumped in front of my dashboard which immediately causes the model x to slow down.

Each time I turned off cruise control by hitting the brakes to take back full control. This is very problematic as randomly hard breaking for no reason poses a danger to cars behind me who would not see that behavior coming.

Second issue I have found is that adaptive cruise control at the default setting (2) tails a car far too closely. I am estimating it is only 1.5 seconds to hit the car in front of me. I would consider this extreme tailgating.

I will likely turn off collision detection for now and increase the following distance and then cautiously monitor the results for following distances and general "sense of safety".
As you have noted, a setting of 2 for ACC following is too short a distance. I usually run at 6 or 7. It's easy to change. Just twist the lever.

To try and get better data for TACC follow distance, I took my Volt out which has numerical numbers for following distance.

I am confident in placing AP2 TACC at between 1.3 and 1.5 seconds for setting number 7.

I think Tesla should change the dial settings to "following distance in time" and not abstract it out to 1-7.

IMG_8441.JPG
IMG_8440.JPG

As the owner of a P90D manufactured over Thanksgiving week, I had some concerns. Now reading about software developed between Christmas and New Year's sounds downright scary. Over-promising and under-delivering are dangerous where human lives are at stake. Get it right, Elon, regardless of how long it takes. This is not an unmanned rocket, and a catastrophic accident is the last thing the Tesla brand needs right now.

Reactions: Matias
As the owner of a P90D manufactured over Thanksgiving week, I had some concerns. Now reading about software developed between Christmas and New Year's sounds downright scary. Over-promising and under-delivering are dangerous where human lives are at stake. Get it right, Elon, regardless of how long it takes. This is not an unmanned rocket, and a catastrophic accident is the last thing the Tesla brand needs right now.

Give it some time to settle and for more people to share their experiences. It's not correct to say the software "developed between Christmas and New Year's" as that seems to suggest they only started on the 26th. What concerns you with your vehicle being produced over Thanksgiving week? Too much tryptophan for the quality supervisors?

Reactions: Lbkmxp100d