Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

8.0 Music Player Unusable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This has been an ongoing repeating gripe for years covered by dozens or more threads and hundreds or thousands of posts. The consensus is that Tesla won't pay the license fee to Apple to implement iOS.

Elon needs to get over himself here. Carplay is becoming an expected feature. If Tesla doesn't offer it, people will go elsewhere. I would be shocked if the Chevy Bolt didn't have Carplay. Pay the damn licensing fee and stay competitive with features. Hire a real UI team with actual automotive UI experience rather than delegating it to your student interns and cause all sorts of consternation with your ownership base. My god, Elon didn't even know that his own company was discounting cars until a few days ago! The man is clearly stretched beyond his capacity and should hand over the reigns at Tesla to someone who can actually devote the time and bandwidth.

I don't think Elon is too fond of Apple... As I understand it they've been trying to poach his best engineers by offering to double their pay and give them a $250k signing bonuses... I'd think that would make Elon less than enthusiastic about doing business with them in that way. He'd basically be helping to fund his competition.

And that shows Elon to be a petty, small man willing to put his personal issues ahead of what's best for his company and the customers they serve. You don't make your customers suffer because of your own mental block.

My god, Elon didn't even know that his own company was discounting cars until a few days ago! The man is clearly stretched beyond his capacity and should hand over the reigns at Tesla to someone who can actually devote the time and bandwidth..

The one story I saw on this in the news was related to an inventory car which we all know of course has discounts based on mileage and age and sometimes they double those when they're trying pad the quarter.

Is there another discount scenario that has gone beyond the scope of this? I simply took it as the media becoming aware of inventory car discounts that they've had for years. Was Elon not aware of these?

As with any update, some things are better, some take getting used to, and some may be worse. I personally think the new UI is a huge improvement, and, at least for me, the media player changes are good. Quicker access to what I use, my iPhone, Slacker, or Radio, and easier access to recents and favorites. I've never been a fan of putting music on a USB thumb drive or SD card, because then it's too much of a pain to update it. :)

The one story I saw on this in the news was related to an inventory car which we all know of course has discounts based on mileage and age and sometimes they double those when they're trying pad the quarter.

Is there another discount scenario that has gone beyond the scope of this? I simply took it as the media becoming aware of inventory car discounts that they've had for years. Was Elon not aware of these?
Quite a few people had destination fees waived in exchange for moving from a requested Q4 delivery to a Q3 delivery. There's details in the Ordering forum. There were also pretty big incentives on inventory cars, more than the usual $1/mi, whatever per month that's typical of those vehicles.

In any case, the license fee for regular iPhone connectivity is something like $4 or $8, depending on exact terms. Licensing for Android is what, free? We don't have that either. $11k vehicles have this stuff, so licensing isn't breaking the bank. IMO basic smartphone integration isn't a licensing problem and never has been.

CarPlay/Android Auto terms are more closely held, but at the very least we should get the basic integration that nearly every vehicle sold to the US market receives. That's what I think, anyway.

Quite a few people had destination fees waived in exchange for moving from a requested Q4 delivery to a Q3 delivery. There's details in the Ordering forum. There were also pretty big incentives on inventory cars, more than the usual $1/mi, whatever per month that's typical of those vehicles.

In any case, the license fee for regular iPhone connectivity is something like $4 or $8, depending on exact terms. Licensing for Android is what, free? We don't have that either. $11k vehicles have this stuff, so licensing isn't breaking the bank. IMO basic smartphone integration isn't a licensing problem and never has been.

CarPlay/Android Auto terms are more closely held, but at the very least we should get the basic integration that nearly every vehicle sold to the US market receives. That's what I think, anyway.
Infotainment only SDK.....

The more than $1/mile has been frequently doubled near the end of quarters to push volume and it's been done since at least 2014 and maybe earlier. I can't believe Elon didn't know about this.

I don't think it's legal to wave the destination fee. It's not only required but has to be the same amount regardless of whether the car is factory delivered or delivered across the entire country. I find it very difficult to believe that was waved since you can't really wave that. You could wave doc fees, discount the price of a car, etc, but you can't wave the destination fee.

The more than $1/mile has been frequently doubled near the end of quarters to push volume and it's been done since at least 2014 and maybe earlier. I can't believe Elon didn't know about this.

I don't think it's legal to wave the destination fee. It's not only required but has to be the same amount regardless of whether the car is factory delivered or delivered across the entire country. I find it very difficult to believe that was waved since you can't really wave that. You could wave doc fees, discount the price of a car, etc, but you can't wave the destination fee.
Maybe they reduced the price by an amount equivalent to the destination fee. I don't know the logistics, we just know that's what they were offering.

Examples:
Destination & Doc fee waived | Tesla Motors
Waived Destination Fees?

There is nothing broke in the media player.........
If it works for you, doesn't mean it works for everyone's usage case.

I don't use USB media, for me I like the new media player, but I can acknowledge that there is a small (vocal) subset of owners with massive USB libraries which no longer work, but used to work on 7.1.

Good sidebar for the Ordering/Production/Delivery subforum.

Now back to Media Player 8.0 discussion? ;)
Media Player 8.0. Still terrible. :D

:(

I'm still not able to figure out why my USB drive has almost only hex characters while everyone else's only uses \x20 for spaces. I tried renaming it a couple ways and it's always filled with escaped hex stuff. Not sure what I'm doing differently.

• Funny
Reactions: BertL
Maybe they reduced the price by an amount equivalent to the destination fee. I don't know the logistics, we just know that's what they were offering.

Examples:
Destination & Doc fee waived | Tesla Motors
Waived Destination Fees?

Well at least others in the first thread pointed out that the destination is a federal requirement. If it was actually offered and phrased to customers that they'd waive this but instead reduced the price by that amount, I'm suspicious that even this sales tactic may not be legal.

I fear we haven't seen the last of this in the news.

I can access the political shows on Tunein easier than ever with version 8. Maybe Tesla is trying to get EV drivers informed for the election.

My Model X still has version 7.1. Does that make it more marketable after the new falcon wing door seals arrive and are installed?

So has anyone had Tesla respond to their complaints yet? I've heard nothing yet myself and I of course have not installed 8.0. I've also asked Tesla to unstage 8.0 off my car until they fix the USB media player so it's possible to browse large libraries again.

What a cluster !^*&!@#$.

So has anyone had Tesla respond to their complaints yet? I've heard nothing yet myself and I of course have not installed 8.0. I've also asked Tesla to unstage 8.0 off my car until they fix the USB media player so it's possible to browse large libraries again.

What a cluster !^*&!@#$.

Yes, they sent me a very polite reply that they had read my feedback and are always working on improvements. No specific promises were made and no timetable was given for potential update

What a cluster !^*&!@#$.
I've only seen reference to people receiving the boiler plate "Thank you for your input. It has been provided to the appropriate people" sorta thing in reply to emails. My MS is in for annual service since Tuesday and I have my top 3 USB 8.0 issues on my service invoice... not expecting more than "it will be fixed in a future firmware release", but I at least am trying that route in parallel to the NA Service email method others are doing. There is a new firmware release staged on my MS since Tuesday night, but it has not been installed yet while at the SvC, so IDK what that may involve.