Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

8.1 timing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to @elonmusk, 76 days ago, he said via twitter that 8.1 should be out "next week". That's a pretty big miss and we've not heard a peep about 8.1.
It's called MST (Musk Standard Time). :)

Happily while he oft times gets the dates wrong they always seem to happen eventually.

Ok, back to staring at my modem, waiting for the new release to get to my car.

According to @elonmusk, 76 days ago, he said via twitter that 8.1 should be out "next week". That's a pretty big miss and we've not heard a peep about 8.1.
Yes, but the question was about the mobile app which has recently had an interface refresh and a backend update (and which just had a problematic update which might be a harbinger some big changes to the app and the appearance of 8.1).
IMG_0468.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, but the question was about the mobile app which has recently had an interface refresh and a backend update and which just had a problematic update which might be a harbinger some big changes to the app and the appearance of 8.1.
View attachment 217796
Is this what you're saying? -- You are hopeful that the recent bad update to the app is a sign that 8.1 is coming?

• Disagree
Reactions: Pilot4Hire102
Is this what you're saying? -- You are hopeful that the recent bad update to the app is a sign that 8.1 is coming?
I'm not hopeful, but I am saying that a major backend update followed by a glitchy update may mean a major update to the app and API is in the offing. Granted, it is even more of a leap to take this as a sign that 8.1 is also imminent based on Elon's linking of a major app refresh with 8.1 but this is an enthusiast's site after all.

It is quite possible that they are holding back on 8.1. Imagine how mad AP2 owners would be if they saw AP1 get a new feature at this time.
In case we're cross-talking, I meant Application Program Interface as in features controllable by the app although I hope they would be ok with updates to AutoPilot-one since they are now independent software tracks.

What may be more likely is that 8.1 is being held up because it took longer to get the AP2 sensors to work close to AP1 level - and they could be waiting to release 8.1 until after they have the AP2 software working reasonably well.

Just a guess...

If they'd been able to get AP2 working at AP1 levels in December, as they had originally hoped, then we likely would have seen 8.1 by now.

With the latest AP2 release being pushed out now, we could be getting closer to seeing 8.1 soon.

I'm not hopeful, but I am saying that a major backend update followed by a glitchy update may mean a major update to the app and API is in the offing. Granted, it is even more of a leap to take this as a sign that 8.1 is also imminent based on Elon's linking of a major app refresh with 8.1 but this is an enthusiast's site after all.
Ah, thanks for clarifying! I appreciate it.

One minor quibble, followed by a big ol' rant: "enthusiasts" are people with strong interest in something. There is no necessary connection between being an enthusiast and being a zealot. (Not saying you are a zealot.) My strong interest in electric cars (I have kids. I'd like them to have a place to live and breathe) and my interest in techy goods brought me to TMC. So in this way I'm a Tesla enthusiast: Tesla qua Tesla as maker of electric and techy cars. But I am not a fanatical partisan. I love many things about my car, but unfortunately I was naive about the company's sales tactics. I thought Tesla was a more mature company and that I was getting what I was told, when I was told. The workmanship is shoddy for a six-figure car, and the communication from the company strikes me as either on the line or over the line of duplicity.

I understand hopefulness. But I am overwhelmed by the down-shouting of people who are disappointed in the products and the communication (especially given the high correlation between down-shouters and stock-holders -- if I were the moderators, which I'm not!, I'd put some very tight reins on those with financial interests attacking the concerns of those who are merely enthusiasts).

Concerns about repair times, sales tactics, sloppy builds, misleading sales, sketchy software, very late software are not irrational. And for many people Tesla's behaviors are completely out of line with what it is reasonable to expect from a company with as much value as Tesla.

Rant over. Sorry. I'm so disappointed in the quality and handling of EAP. I feel completely misled and I find the strategy of teasing hope via twitter without any adult explanations to its customers insulting. Seeing the autosteer icon appear and knowing it would be completely insane for me to turn it on is a continual reminder that Tesla has yet to earn my trust at all.

:(