Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

8 inch hairline crack in glass roof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today and Tomorrow its going to be in the 90's here. I'm going to measure the glass temp today to see if they are hotter than the dodge challenger.

Update : 10AM

86 degrees - 75% humidity.

Tesla glass top 101 degrees - Dodge challenger front windshield 113 degrees.

Last edited:
want to point out that model 3's have three variations of the rear glass. one version where the entire rear windshield is IR coated (orange effect on the entire glass). second version where the orange is only on half and stops at the defroster lines. third version which seems to be all new model 3's being delivered in august and forward - no orange effect at all on the entire rear roof.

i wonder if this is due to the cracking issues i've seen reported so they changed something on the new glass? lost the cool orange affect but less prone to cracking?

want to point out that model 3's have three variations of the rear glass. one version where the entire rear windshield is IR coated (orange effect on the entire glass). second version where the orange is only on half and stops at the defroster lines. third version which seems to be all new model 3's being delivered in august and forward - no orange effect at all on the entire rear roof.

i wonder if this is due to the cracking issues i've seen reported so they changed something on the new glass? lost the cool orange affect but less prone to cracking?

Obviously different cars, and I'm making major assumptions here, but I figure if they can get the X front windshield down, the rear 3 glass seems like it should be a lot easier to get right.

Maybe manufacturer change/addition to help keep up with demand/production? I mean, I'm gonna get the rear tinted anyway, but it would be nice to know that my future 3 would have all the sun protection the older ones have from the get go.

Interesting observation.

I did not know earlier builds had the whole rear windshield coated. Then only top half. Then none.

Seems like the new (Aug and later builds) have clear UV protection? I hope.

@Garlan Garner , thanks for the data points. Interesting indeed.

I kept attributing the glass roof to the furnace-like feel esp. when I forget to pre-cool; good to note the contradicting data. Pre-cool 10 mins prior to the drive, or turn the AC on at full blast for 2 mins upon entry, and all is well even with the glass roof.

Now if only they stop cracking, I can make finally my peace :) Just kidding - I, and my toddlers, totally love the glass roof, regardless of the accompanying greenhouse effect (perceived if not real).

@Garlan Garner , thanks for the data points. Interesting indeed.

I kept attributing the glass roof to the furnace-like feel esp. when I forget to pre-cool; good to note the contradicting data. Pre-cool 10 mins prior to the drive, or turn the AC on at full blast for 2 mins upon entry, and all is well even with the glass roof.

Now if only they stop cracking, I can make finally my peace :) Just kidding - I, and my toddlers, totally love the glass roof, regardless of the accompanying greenhouse effect (perceived if not real).

I agree with you 1000%.

Tesla needs to figure out these cracking windows. I wonder how they can be under so much stress.

Mabey I need to stop launching the thing until someone at Tesla says something.....

Reactions: adaptabl
Yikes. Good to know.

No window tint applied, just stock. @Roentgen - been 3 months and 2 days for this to appear, in my case (today’s at least the first I noticed it). Vin range is 19xxx, if that helps. I figure it’s random environmental stressors combined with the defective part that caused this to show; the temperature hasn’t changed that much here since the time I took delivery, and the car is mostly parked indoors, away from direct Sun. I went through the rest of the roof of the car with a fine toothed comb today and I don’t see any other chips/cracks (phew).

Hope that the higher ramp means that Tesla has been stocking up on parts at a higher rate too. We will see... the Tesla rep’s message did sound a lot like “2-3 weeks (Tesla time)...” :)

Has anyone said what's causing this. I see an expansion gap at the front of your glass in the photo. It looks like there is plenty of room for thermal expansion. Unless there really isn't. It's concerning though you are not the only one one this has happened to.

Uhhh naaahhh its not hotter than the dodge charger window.

You guys are acting like the Model 3 window is letting in more heat than other cars because its all glass.

Do the live comparisons.

I agree, it doesn't seem any different than a regular car. In my opinion it performs better than a regular roof. You guys must have just forgotten what that's like?

• Disagree
Reactions: adaptabl
Has anyone said what's causing this. I see an expansion gap at the front of your glass in the photo. It looks like there is plenty of room for thermal expansion. Unless there really isn't. It's concerning though you are not the only one one this has happened to.
There is at least a 1/4 inch gap around the entire glass. As a matter of fact I purchased the rubber gasket thing to insert into the gap that some people says was contributing to wind noise. I haven't heard any wind noise...so it must have been fake news.

I agree with the “massive amount of heat” from the glass roof. Specific example from today from McDonough, GA. Outside was 75F at 10 am and inside the car (as seen from the app) while parked in bright sunlight was 114F. I have disabled cabin overheat protection as I suspected (not validated yet) that it was vampire draining my battery too much even when garaged, and interior temp was well under 105F.

My practice of precooling the car 10 mins before setting foot has had me covered so far. I’ve cursed myself a couple of times for forgetting to precool on the rare occasion when this has happened. The glass roof surely adds to the cabin heat, but precooling in my experience, does help offset this to a great extent.

The glass crack has increased at least 4 inches while parked in the sun. Guess this calls for a second message to Tesla next week. For those who had their glass roofs replaced, should I be concerned that the interior glass layer would be compromised from sun exposure/rain given that the crack is now surely widening? I would love for Tesla to overnight the parts and get it fixed ASAP. Hope don’t have to stay this way (or worse) for 7 weeks...
Running the ac I found is pretty energy consuming. I don’t remember the numbers but I suspect I would lose around 2 miles if pre cooling for 10 minutes