Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

80% Charge is Only Showing 168 Mile Range? '22 MYP w/ 17K miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Possibility 1: You could be hitting a charging current rollback. Slowing your charge and thus never reaching 80% in time. This wont show up on a notification unless you go deep into service menus or tap into Wallconnector IP with 3rd party app. Since you charge overnight I doubt you are watching your current in your Tesla app where you can also see the reduced current. Could be due to Charger Handle Temps or Charger Unit Temps.

I had this charger handle issue on mine after 2 years of ownership a few weeks ago. Tesla sent me a new one. Handle temps went from 150F+ to 115F and now holds a full 11kW 48A load.

Possibility 2: I see you have scheduled charge start time set. You sure don’t have another off-peak limit set as well somewhere where the slower charge ends up having to cut because of off peak time limit?

Interim you may want to start charge earlier until you figure out what is slowing your charge.

IMG_4786.png

Last edited:
Why are you replacing the main breaker? If there is a problem with it it would trip. Unless you have some type of monitoring that is showing problems above 36A there is something else going on and I would bet against it being the breaker. There could be an issue with the in car charging circuitry, or something similar. Have Tesla come check that out.

Thanks. Since lowering the the charge rate, I'm not having any issues. With that said, you're right, I probably should have Tesla out to inspect as I wasn't having any issues charging at 48A for almost 2 years. Something must be going on.

Possibility 1: You could be hitting a charging current rollback. Slowing your charge and thus never reaching 80% in time. This wont show up on a notification unless you go deep into service menus or tap into Wallconnector IP with 3rd party app. Since you charge overnight I doubt you are watching your current in your Tesla app where you can also see the reduced current. Could be due to Charger Handle Temps or Charger Unit Temps.

I had this charger handle issue on mine after 2 years of ownership a few weeks ago. Tesla sent me a new one. Handle temps went from 150F+ to 115F and now holds a full 11kW 48A load.

Possibility 2: I see you have scheduled charge start time set. You sure don’t have another off-peak limit set as well somewhere where the slower charge ends up having to cut because of off peak time limit?

Interim you may want to start charge earlier until you figure out what is slowing your charge.

Now that you mention it, the cord did feel almost hot the few times I came out to check it prior to it cutting off before getting to 80%. Perhaps I'm having the same issue you were. I also changed the scheduled time of the charging and it didn't make any difference. I think I'll bump the charge rate back to 48A and charge it earlier so I can monitor the process and see if I'm missing something as far as notifications go. As noted above, I think I should probably reschedule with Tesla and have them come out to take a look.

Reactions: Mrbrock
So I bumped the charge rate back up to 48V and made sure I had the charging notifications turned on (tested it a few times to be sure). I plugged in the wall connector charger and within about 15 minutes the cord seemed very warm. After about 20 minutes, I lost all power to the house. I checked the subpanel box next to wall connecter in garage and the breaker was not tripped. I went outside to look at the main home breaker and none of these breakers were tripped either. I turned the subpanel breaker (going to garage panel) off then back on and the power came back on. I did smell a slight burning smell at the outdoor panel. The only text notification I got simply said "the charging process was interrupted and stopped".

I tried it again the following night and the exact same thing happened. I changed the charge rate back to 36A late last night and it charged fine.

I've charged at 48A since getting my MYP in Dec. 2022 and never seem to have any charging problems until early last month.

So I bumped the charge rate back up to 48V and made sure I had the charging notifications turned on (tested it a few times to be sure). I plugged in the wall connector charger and within about 15 minutes the cord seemed very warm. After about 20 minutes, I lost all power to the house. I checked the subpanel box next to wall connecter in garage and the breaker was not tripped. I went outside to look at the main home breaker and none of these breakers were tripped either. I turned the subpanel breaker (going to garage panel) off then back on and the power came back on. I did smell a slight burning smell at the outdoor panel. The only text notification I got simply said "the charging process was interrupted and stopped".

I tried it again the following night and the exact same thing happened. I changed the charge rate back to 36A late last night and it charged fine.

I've charged at 48A since getting my MYP in Dec. 2022 and never seem to have any charging problems until early last month.
Sounds like a house electrical problem that needs looking at. Odd that power to the entire house was restored by flipping the subpanel breaker to the garage only.

NONE of the breakers in either the subpanel in the garage or the outside main panel get tripped. I just lose power and to get it back on, I have to flip the subpanel breaker that is in the OUTSIDE panel off and on. It is this outside box where I was smelling something. The subpanel in the garage is about 2ft from the wall connector and there is no smell coming from that one at all.

Thanks for the input. I agree that it sounds more like an home electrical issue than a Tesla issue so I'll have an electrician out to inspect the issue.