Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

85D 0-60 MPH 4.4s Sport Acceleration confirmed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The motor's spec might be 470hp from the start but the vehicle itself was rated as 416hp (probably software limitation). My guess is that the increased P85D & P85 acceleration figures (from Elon's tweet) are maybe related to that. Getting the full rear motor's potential for both cars. If true then it would be a nice little power increase for the Classic P85 out there.
Would be nice lil' treat for us old timers.

interesting the display shows 315KW=422hp = nominal power.

The P85D, supposedly 515KW = 691hp never appears to show above ~400KW = well short of nominal
Either Tesla overstated the P85D, or there is a lot more to come with that car.

Close. It never appears to go over 440KW which is still less than 500 hp when you consider inverter and motor losses before you get to the motor shaft.

All a guess as the dial is logarithmic, hopefully a P85D owner can get some logs done which should reveal much more data for comparison.

It is looking increasingly as though Tesla ought to make some statement re this subject though, if they wish to respect the owners and potential owners, as it is all clear as mud at the moment.

All a guess as the dial is logarithmic, hopefully a P85D owner can get some logs done which should reveal much more data for comparison.

It is looking increasingly as though Tesla ought to make some statement re this subject though, if they wish to respect the owners and potential owners, as it is all clear as mud at the moment.

They haven't even told 85D owners!

Anyone have any thoughts on why not just leave it in Sport mode all the time? Is there a range penalty even if you don't use the maximum acceleration?

I have had it in sport mode the last couple days and I have not noticed any difference in energy usage. If anything it's slightly less energy than before (on the same routes I'm familiar with) but that's probably just normal variation from temperature or other factors. And that's in spite of a couple spirited accelerations per drive just to keep reminding myself how amazing the car is and refresh the grin.

Close. It never appears to go over 440KW which is still less than 500 hp when you consider inverter and motor losses before you get to the motor shaft.

Sorry, but you can't trust the analog visualization that Tesla provides on the dash for power. Until you have a high-precision, high-granularity test harness attached to the motor leads -- or Tesla simply certifies that its output display is accurate within that same high-precision high-granularity framework -- you're relying upon a neat-looking, lagging graphic and applying technical math to it.

It's like looking at the charging screen and saying "it stays at 237V constantly, therefore my power is completely clean!"... well, no. Not true.

Where are you 85D folks seeing the "sport" setting? The only setting like that I saw was for the steering wheel (comfort/standard/sport). Or are you saying that that setting affects more than just steering?

You will not see it without latest 6.2 firmware update. The first 6.2 update did not include this. If you do not have that option on the same screen as the steering wheel, you will have to wait till you get the next update and check again.

Next to steering wheel setting is acceleration. You choose between normal and sport. Thta is what it looks like on my 85D.

You will not see it without latest 6.2 firmware update. The first 6.2 update did not include this. If you do not have that option on the same screen as the steering wheel, you will have to wait till you get the next update and check again.

Aha! Thank you both.