Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

85D Now 4.4, P85D Now 3.1 Seconds to 60

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All I want to see is an 85D in Sport mode vs a P85D in Insane mode just to see how underrated the 85D is, and how overrated the P85D is. Not just a dead stop race, but a roll race... So we can ask why the P85D has 275 more advertised horsepower, yet the cheaper and much less "powerful" 85D can keep up with it from 30MPH and on (what I assume is very possible, or close enough to not justify the premium on the current P85D.)

Sorry to burst your bubble. I had .153 installed at the SC yesterday. I'm In the middle of a trip down I5 to LA and am certain that my P85D is now substantially faster 70-90 than it was 2 days ago on an earlier version of 6.2.

Sorry to burst your bubble. I had .153 installed at the SC yesterday. I'm In the middle of a trip down I5 to LA and am certain that my P85D is now substantially faster 70-90 than it was 2 days ago on an earlier version of 6.2.

As much as I want to believe you are correct, the objective data would seem to indicate that you are not.

In the first post in this thread Tesla Model S P85D v6.2 Performance Data and Video

there is a link to this article:
Tesla Model S P85D v6.2 Performance Data and Video | DragTimes.com Drag Racing, Fast Cars, Muscle Cars Blog

which includes this excerpt: (I added the bold)

"Since many Tesla P85D owners have been waiting for the “performance update” we tested the P85D after installing the latest 6.2 software update. The results demonstrated that while the top speed may have been increased to 155MPH, the highway passing power has not increased with the 1/4 mile trap speeds within tenths of each other."

Version 6.1Version 6.2
0-60 MPH3.143.05
0-100 MPH8.3038.13
1/8 Mile7.406 @ 94.9 MPH7.32 @ 95.3 MPH
1/4 Mile11.6 @ 115.5 MPH11.5 @ 115.7 MPH

As much as I want to believe you are correct, the objective data would seem to indicate that you are not.

In the first post in this thread Tesla Model S P85D v6.2 Performance Data and Video

there is a link to this article:
Tesla Model S P85D v6.2 Performance Data and Video | DragTimes.com Drag Racing, Fast Cars, Muscle Cars Blog

which includes this excerpt: (I added the bold)

"Since many Tesla P85D owners have been waiting for the “performance update” we tested the P85D after installing the latest 6.2 software update. The results demonstrated that while the top speed may have been increased to 155MPH, the highway passing power has not increased with the 1/4 mile trap speeds within tenths of each other."

Version 6.1Version 6.2
0-60 MPH3.143.05
0-100 MPH8.3038.13
1/8 Mile7.406 @ 94.9 MPH7.32 @ 95.3 MPH
1/4 Mile11.6 @ 115.5 MPH11.5 @ 115.7 MPH

Objectively I would agree; the results show 6.2 @ 8.45 seconds from 60-115.7 mph and 6.1 @ 8.46 from 60-115.5 which is as near enough no difference. I still wonder how much the car's power management would have an impact on this. Could it be that because the driver has requested continuous maximum power from 0 that it is providing a thermally managed torque curve at a designated speed above 60? With a car this sophisticated which frequently receives revised torque / throttle mapping over the air, I wouldn't be surprised if Dennis is also right.

Are you sure the test was done with .153?

Yes. It clearly said that the top speed had been increased to 155 MPH, which was only done in .153.

- - - Updated - - -

Objectively I would agree; the results show 6.2 @ 8.45 seconds from 60-115.7 mph and 6.1 @ 8.46 from 60-115.5 which is as near enough no difference. I still wonder how much the car's power management would have an impact on this. Could it be that because the driver has requested continuous maximum power from 0 that it is providing a thermally managed torque curve at a designated speed above 60? With a car this sophisticated which frequently receives revised torque / throttle mapping over the air, I wouldn't be surprised if Dennis is also right.

That would be great. I hope you, and Dennis, --ARE-- right.

I just drove the P85D today for 200 miles, which left me at 7% battery (started at 93% today) and there's no power difference with .153, period.

NOW- what I do feel, is both motors working in harmony together when punching it while already moving. The initial kick/pull/hit seems closer to my P85 and not as mild as it used to be. There's definitely a change there. Performance wise, I'd say it's gonna run the same 0-60, and it's going to run the same 60-100MPH times.

I tried the 70-90 test at least half a dozen times, and at SOC ranging from 35%-80%. Each time the car felt noticeably faster than either my P85+ (21K miles) or my P85D with versions earlier than .153 (1.5K miles). I know this was not a scientific test, but I have enough seat time to do a butt calibration. The best way to describe it is that when you floor it at 70mph the car now seems to "jump" forward. Hopefully someone with the proper tools can do a 70-90 (or 60-80) test.

I dont think the butt dynos are going to cut it here, really, but I'll jump on the it's-now-slightly-faster boat. The ramp from current power to max power seems a hair quicker on .153 at highway speeds. I did a few 65->100s during my latest trip and it seemed the ramp up was a hair quicker than before.

Definitely could be wrong, because if it is different it's not by much.

If they've been able to do this for the 85D, just imagine what might be possible for the P85D...

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that if the P85D uses the S85D front engine, it could get a small bump, but it's likely the rear motor does not have that much "overclocking?" room left in it, compared to the new smaller motors. So, probably not a lot. Definitely not "Sport mode" level jump like the S85D just had.

I'm not sure I'd want to run my car in an "overclocked" mode. Doesn't overclocking something cause additional stress and load? Maybe we are using the term loosely with regard to what Tesla has done, but overclocking would imply that the motors are being run beyond their recommended parameters.

I'm not sure I'd want to run my car in an "overclocked" mode. Doesn't overclocking something cause additional stress and load? Maybe we are using the term loosely with regard to what Tesla has done, but overclocking would imply that the motors are being run beyond their recommended parameters.

Well maybe the motors were just not running at their max power because it was unknown how much power they could safely handle? Maybe overclocking is the wrong term.