Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

8k miles range charge only giving 258

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ok cool.. I see a lot of discussions on the subject, but most people are throwing out standard charge #'s.. which is stupid. They changed what a "standard" charge was after 4.5 or 5.x... if you want to talk degradation you should probably stick to full (range) charge #'s for comparison.

Even a range charge doesn't tell the whole story because the pack may not be balanced and the SOC reported is always an estimate. Agreed that it's silly to use the "daily" number.

yea, there's that too... although i'm still not very clear on what kind of difference an out of balance pack would make versus an in balance one... are we talking a difference of 5%, or 25%? Surely it couldn't be more than 10%...

It depends upon how badly out of balance. What happens is that the charging stops when the cell with the least capacity is full (It's a bit more complex than that due to the battery management and the groups of cells, but that's the idea). It could well be more than 10%.

Good question. Does anybody have any idea as to how you can tell whether the pack is balanced or not?

There's no real way to tell. Bear in mind that doing range charges just to balance the pack isn't the best thing for the pack. I wouldn't worry about it, and just let it happen on road trips until it really becomes a range issue. That shouldn't be for several years.

What was the ambient temperature when you charged the car? Was the car outside or in a heated garage?

at home it was enclosed in my unheated attached garage. Probably 50 +/- 5 degrees or so (just guess)

at Lookout Mountain it charged overnight in the cold mountain air... definitely dropped below freezing at the low... by morning when it finished at 8AM it was probably 32-38 degrees.

Strangely I got 1 additional mile after charging in the cold at Lookout Mountain than in my garage, which was much warmer... but this could be due to pack balancing... who knows... :)

- - - Updated - - -

oops. sorry, I thought I was responding to a different thread I created here... that's why I mention charging in two locations, etc... :)

Last edited: