Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

90% the new recommended SOC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Folks forget that in 2012, the Model S shipped without a slider to choose percent charge... The choices were 'range charge' to 100 percent and 'daily charge' to 92 percent..
They didn’t forget it, they never knew it. It’s not like when we ordered the Model S and we read most of the posts here. Don’t you know that for most Model 3 owners history begins on the day they get their car? I’ve posted about this and the crazy EPA rule that prompted Tesla to introduce the slider in a firmware update several times in recent months but no one seems to read posts that are dated before their Model 3 ownership.

Folks forget that in 2012, the Model S shipped without a slider to choose percent charge... The choices were 'range charge' to 100 percent and 'daily charge' to 92 percent..
Back in the day, we had to drive 150 miles to the next Supercharger! In the snow storm! Uphill ... both ways! Now get off my lawn. :p

Seriously, when Tesla introduced the charge limit slider that was probably in part because of what the EPA did to the Nissan Leaf, although that was never confirmed. But that wasn't necessarily the only reason. We have Tesla battery researchers and Musk himself recommending charge limits of 70-80% for daily use. Couldn't be any clearer?

So I’ve always followed the TMC folklore advice and kept my car charged to 70-80% since I got it three months ago.

After reading this new info I have been charging to 90% the last two weeks but I don’t charge daily as I get free charging at my work and it’s difficult to charge every day.

I did my first charge to 100% the other night before driving 100 miles round trip.

The car only showed 304 miles in a full charge.

Has my car lost 2% range in 2,000 miles of ownership or is this a residual effect of me not regularly charging the car to 90%

?

Has my car lost 2% range in 2,000 miles of ownership or is this a residual effect of me not regularly charging the car to 90%

?
It's most likely just a small estimation error. If it bothers you try discharging the battery to <20% so the car can calibrate the estimator on both the higher and lower voltages. But I don't think this small error is worth it.

• Helpful
Reactions: voip-ninja
So I’ve always followed the TMC folklore advice and kept my car charged to 70-80% since I got it three months ago.

After reading this new info I have been charging to 90% the last two weeks but I don’t charge daily as I get free charging at my work and it’s difficult to charge every day.

I did my first charge to 100% the other night before driving 100 miles round trip.

?

I just did my first 100% charge on my Model 3 performance (that has 240 miles on it), just to see if it would charge to 310 at 100%. It charged to 306. This is on my recently installed Tesla Wall connector, 60amp circuit charging at 48amp.

I'm happy to charge to 80% like on a cell phone or a laptop. It's not like lithium ion isn't lithium ion when it's in a car.

There a bunch of different Lithium Ion chemistries though all used for different purposes. If your car's battery was made up of the same thing as in your cell phone, you would not get the same performance or longevity.

?

I've got about 8,500 on my M3 RWD. I was regularly charging to mostly around 70% at first, and within the first 4,500 miles or so, my extrapolated full-charge rated range dipped all the way down to 285 miles. Then, after looking at these forums, I started charging to 90%. Within a week, my rated range, 100% full charge, went back up to 300 - 307. Now, I charge to 80% for a while, and the range invariably drops down to just under, 300 at full charge (extrapolated), then I charge to 90% for a week or two, and my range pops right back up to 310.

It is my personal experience that the BMS is not good at giving you an accurate rendition of your estimated full 100% rated range when you regularly charge to 70-ish% and you maybe use 10,15% of that on a daily basis (like me).

There is a firm conviction in these forums that charging to 90% doesn't appreciably affect your long-term degradation rate adversely, as it has not seemed to do with the S/X cars. Model 3's have slightly different batteries than the S/X's so it's not clear if the same dynamics will or will not hold here. But one thing is clear: Charge to 90% regularly, and your rated range at 100% SOC will increase back to or back close to 310 (for a RWD LR model at least).

I've got about 8,500 on my M3 RWD. I was regularly charging to mostly around 70% at first, and within the first 4,500 miles or so, my extrapolated full-charge rated range dipped all the way down to 285 miles. Then, after looking at these forums, I started charging to 90%. Within a week, my rated range, 100% full charge, went back up to 300 - 307. Now, I charge to 80% for a while, and the range invariably drops down to just under, 300 at full charge (extrapolated), then I charge to 90% for a week or two, and my range pops right back up to 310.

It is my personal experience that the BMS is not good at giving you an accurate rendition of your estimated full 100% rated range when you regularly charge to 70-ish% and you maybe use 10,15% of that on a daily basis (like me).

There is a firm conviction in these forums that charging to 90% doesn't appreciably affect your long-term degradation rate adversely, as it has not seemed to do with the S/X cars. Model 3's have slightly different batteries than the S/X's so it's not clear if the same dynamics will or will not hold here. But one thing is clear: Charge to 90% regularly, and your rated range at 100% SOC will increase back to or back close to 310 (for a RWD LR model at least).
This is good data, but keep in mind that the measurement is just OFF. There is no guarantee that re-calibrating will bring it UP every time. It often goes down, too.:(

This is good data, but keep in mind that the measurement is just OFF. There is no guarantee that re-calibrating will bring it UP every time. It often goes down, too.:(

I haven't experienced it going down when charging to 90%. It does go down when I start a regime of 70-ish% SOC though. Honestly, I haven't heard of it going down when one charges consistently at 90%, only up. But I'm sure there's somebody out there who has.

I do appreciate that all one is doing is re-calibrating the BMS's estimate, and not literally the battery (though there does seem to be some "rebalancing" of the charges of the cells/packs that happens when one charges to higher percentage SOC). There is some info out there that suggests that if your BMS's "estimate" starts to turn downward like mine did, the BMS actually will limit charge to that lower extrapolated 100% SOC range, but I don't know how true that is. (E.G., by charging to 70% over time, one's estimated 100% SOC rated range might show, as mine did, 287 miles. The idea is that, if this is what the BMS thinks, then indeed that's the range (rated) you'll be getting - it's reading the cells inaccurately, in other words. Don't know if that really is happening, but I've seen on the forums some discussion about that)

Reactions: BerTX
Tesloop found that their Model S battery degradation over the course of the first 194,000 miles was ~6% with multiple supercharges a day to 95-100%, instead of the recommended 90-95%. Between 194,000 and 324,000 miles Tesloop experienced battery degradation of ~22%, but those are extreme conditions
Tesloop’s Tesla Model S Surpasses 400,000 miles (643,737 kM)

Some research has shown < 10% battery degradation after 160,000 miles, and from what I understand 10% is a majority of the degradation that would occur, with the rest happening much slower. It’s going to be much, much better than your typical Leaf that doesn’t have thermal management or whatever. It might be even better for the Model 3 than the Mode S. Don’t quote me on that lol.

For my personal data points: I charge to just under 80% and it finishes around 244-247 miles which sounds just about right. I’ve never charged to 100%. I rent and can’t install level 2 charging so my car is plugged in and charging for about 10 hours which covers my commute, but if I drive more, the car is sometimes charging for a few days straight until it eventually catches up, or I top off at a Supercharger. Car has 17,000 miles on it since July. I routinely drive down to 20-30 miles on long distance trips.

My personal advice is to just keep it plugged in when you have the chance to, charge to what feels right and just let the car manage the battery. Keep an idea of what your typical charge is and if something seems off ask. Apparently for the battery warranty to apply there’s got to be under 70% retention of battery capacity but based on the data no car will get to that point unless something was really wrong
Vehicle Warranty

I personally think climate, overly excessive Supercharging, and maybe constant +90% charge affects battery longetivity the most.

TLDR DO WHAT FEELS RIGHT!

Just continuing to add my data, after charging to just under the 80% line for about 5 months, I charged to 100% for the first time for a trip (via standard 120 volt outlet). I can’t wait for it to finish completely, but it looks like it’ll come to exactly 310 miles.

Update - it finished right at 309. Somewhat related question- does anyone know if slower charging speed equates to more time for the battery to rebalance or whatever, and display a more accurate SOC?

Attachments

• 8C4ED528-5342-4CBC-9D3C-7967735068DD.png
    8C4ED528-5342-4CBC-9D3C-7967735068DD.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 63
Somewhat related question- does anyone know if slower charging speed equates to more time for the battery to rebalance or whatever, and display a more accurate SOC?
Doesn't matter on the S and X. Balancing starts when the pack hits 93% and continues until done, regardless of pack state of charge or if the car is plugged in or not. Essentially, the BMS top balances the pack by calculating how much power needs to be drained from each group of cells, and goes until it has drained the requisite amount from each. It doesn't matter if charging stops during the process, or if you drive 100 miles while the balancing is happening.

I don't see why they'd change it for the 3.