Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

90D Drops $2K

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your guess is as good as mine on this one.

Included for free, but just missing on order page?
Oversight for this option on the order page?
Tesla is still deciding what to do?
Not available because of low expected demand (on the 90D)?
Or????
Or a big big boo boo.....I saw it as "included" in the 90 early early this morning, now its vanished.
The website has always been poorly presented (aka less than precisely accurate) and I suspect it was a mistake and promptly removed when people started writing to their DSs for impact to existing orders.

Or a big big boo boo.....I saw it as "included" in the 90 early early this morning, now its vanished.

I'm still torn about this. when I wired my summer home in the summer of 2013 the supercharger buildout was still in it's infancy and I wanted to future-proof as much as possible. so i installed a Clipper Creek CS-100 even tho my Chevy Volt was only capable of 3.3kW per hr.

fast forward to March 2015 when I ordered my Model S, there were SuperChargers all over the place and i figured DC charging is they way of the future (and I don't just mean Super Chargers) I did not get the second on-board charger when I ordered, figuring I could add it after the fact.

None of the Destination Chargers I have used in NYC are capable of 80 Amps, so for my daily driving needs 40 Amps is fine. I have occasionally run into an 80 amp HPWC in my travels but can't really same that I have needed same. Then again, I do have the 80 amp charger at my summer home which is not using its full capabilities of 80 amp goodness. (fun fact about the Clipper Creek EVSE: the default DIP-switch setting when you receive the unit is 74 amps max and my electrician never did switch it to 80, so my center console screen says i'm charging at 40 of max 74 available when I charge there)

That said, I am uneasy of losing the high amp option even tho when I REALLY think about it, i do not need it, and in general I don't think it is worth the extra expense.

does anyone know if legacy vehicles can be retrofitted with a 72 amp capable on board charger, even tho it might be software-limited to 40 amps?

FWIW In my 17,000+ miles of driving with a 48A charger I've never said to myself "gee if I had 24 more amps it'd make all the difference in the world"….

Humor aside, even if you find yourself stranded without a supercharger and only have an 80A HPWC to work with, the difference between 48A and 72A is meaningful but not a game changer. I don't think you'll miss it.

Meanwhile .. Tesla confirms ‘slight price increases’ for 100D/P100D models next week after decreases for lower-end models today

Apr 24 - 100D/P100D prices will rise.

However, as battery prices fall, you can imagine that 100D and P100D will also depreciate the fastest.
The way I see it, you buy a car, you are gonna loose money. Just drive it and enjoy it, and stop worrying about depreciation.
If you are worried about that, then buy your 100D by April 23. it's basically a free $5000....

If it makes you feel any better, the 100D is now $5K more than the 90D. But it does now include the ($1K option) High Amperage Charger.
I recall that option as being $1.5K.

@Haxster, this next comment is not directed at you:

Every time Telsa improves their vehicles in some way, or introduces a new option, or lowers the price on an option, there is a predictable slew of posts complaining that the car they just bought is "outdated" or "worth less" or "why didn't Tesla tell me they were going to do this before I placed my order?".

As if Tesla should never make improvements or drop prices, or if they are going to do so, at least announce it well in advance. It's curious...

FWIW In my 17,000+ miles of driving with a 48A charger I've never said to myself "gee if I had 24 more amps it'd make all the difference in the world"….

Humor aside, even if you find yourself stranded without a supercharger and only have an 80A HPWC to work with, the difference between 48A and 72A is meaningful but not a game changer. I don't think you'll miss it.

Its really not a big deal. I have the 72A charger and haven't even had a single occasion when I needed it--probably could have saved the $1.5K or whatever it costs. There's always the chademo adaptor if one needs fast charging in a pinch with no supercharger access.

Every time Telsa improves their vehicles in some way, or introduces a new option, or lowers the price on an option, there is a predictable slew of posts complaining that the car they just bought is "outdated" or "worth less" or "why didn't Tesla tell me they were going to do this before I placed my order?".

My fav is when they go through the trouble of changing their signatures to "obsolete xxxxx". o_O