Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

90D Fire Sale?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if this has anything to do with Tesla releasing Model 3 75/75D range numbers soon on the 28th. Otherwise, it doesn't make any sense to drop CPO prices now at the beginning of Q3 2017 instead of early September. If they didn't believe the Model 3 would affect Model S sales, they would have waited until September to maximize Q3 sales. Apparently, they do think Model S sales will be negatively affected. This might also explain why they are delaying AWD Model 3 production.

I'm expecting 285 mi EPA for the Model 3 75 and 297 mi EPA for the Model 3 75D. Also, I expect the Model 3 75 to start at $45K and the Model 3 75D at $49K. The Model S 90D has 294 mi EPA. Maybe Tesla thought the S90D CPO's wouldn't sell well after they announce the Model 3 range numbers.

Basically, the Model 3 75D should have the same range and performance as the Model S 90D. However, because the battery is 17% smaller, it means the Model 3 75D will cost 17% less to charge, battery degradation will be 17% slower because of fewer charge cycles, supercharge sessions will take 17% shorter because the car is 17% more efficient and of course, the Model 3 will cost much less not to mention it has the newer cell chemistry which might be a requirement for Supercharger V3.

Last edited:
I wonder if this has anything to do with Tesla releasing Model 3 75/75D range numbers soon on the 28th. Otherwise, it doesn't make any sense to drop CPO prices now at the beginning of Q3 2017 instead of early September. If they didn't believe the Model 3 would affect Model S sales, they would have waited until September to maximize Q3 sales. Apparently, they do think Model S sales will be negatively affected. This might also explain why they are delaying AWD Model 3 production.

I'm expecting 285 mi EPA for the Model 3 75 and 297 mi EPA for the Model 3 75D. Also, I expect the Model 3 75 to start at $45K and the Model 3 75D at $49K. The Model S 90D has 294 mi EPA. Maybe Tesla thought the S90D CPO's wouldn't sell well after they announce the Model 3 range numbers.

Basically, the Model 3 75D should have the same range and performance as the Model S 90D. However, because the battery is 17% smaller, it means the Model 3 75D will cost 17% less to charge, battery degradation will be 17% slower because of fewer charge cycles, supercharge sessions will take 17% shorter because the car is 17% more efficient and of course, the Model 3 will cost much less not to mention it has the newer cell chemistry which might be a requirement for Supercharger V3.
Fun math.
But why will there be fewer charge cycles?

@AMPd, you are right. I mixed up the car models because I used to compare the Model S 75D and the Model 3 75D. Here is the correct version:
The Model S 90D and the Model 3 75D are expected to have the same range and therefore the same number of charge cycles for the same mileage. Both will have slower degradation than the Model S 75D because of fewer charge cycles.

Last edited:
Reactions: AMPd
I think the just want to sell cars and clear the inventory. Don't think there is much more than that. And they can justify discounting the 90 now that they discontinued it, which they can't do with the 75 and 100.

• Informative
Reactions: Out4aDuck
Looks like they have sold over a hundred 90Ds in the past week! With only 70 or so left. I bought mine 3 weeks ago and missed these crazy discounts thinking that end of quarter would have the best deals, I hadn't considered the possible effects of an end of July Model 3 reveal. sigh ... oh well ... As with all Tesla purchases - you get exactly what you order when you order it. ;)

Also, a shout-out for the folks at

https://ev-cpo.com and Tesla Inventory Search

for making systems to find these deals!

Reactions: Bobbyducati

Simple combination of needing to keep sales up, keeping cell sales up and moving obsolete inventory. I expect that they'll be dropping the 90 and then changing the 75's modules to match the 100's, so it's 80/85? and 100 only. That should help sell more cells to get them to the end of the existing 18650 contract sooner, and cutting off supply of vehicles that have the 90's Supercharger issue (max Supercharger rate was lowered although with a slower taper, adding about 5 minutes to charging time).