Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My order will confirm tomorrow, and I am torn. I am probably going with the 6 seat model X for my family of 6. Thinking that not having the 7th seat will actually make the interior feel bigger and have more room for stuff on longer trips.

The real hard question for me though, is 90D vs P100D. Financially I think the 90d makes more sense, but this has been a dream car of mine, and my heart is screaming to get the P100D. 90d is comfortable financially, but P100D is doable, but more of a stretch.

Any hunches about resale value? Do the performance drive trains depreciate at the same rate as the standard drive trains? Is the larger battery pack more likely to have a greater enough residual to compensate in part for the increased costs? Is there going to be a big insurance price difference between them?

Thoughts?!

Thanks,
Gabe

My order will confirm tomorrow, and I am torn. I am probably going with the 6 seat model X for my family of 6. Thinking that not having the 7th seat will actually make the interior feel bigger and have more room for stuff on longer trips.

The real hard question for me though, is 90D vs P100D. Financially I think the 90d makes more sense, but this has been a dream car of mine, and my heart is screaming to get the P100D. 90d is comfortable financially, but P100D is doable, but more of a stretch.

Any hunches about resale value? Do the performance drive trains depreciate at the same rate as the standard drive trains? Is the larger battery pack more likely to have a greater enough residual to compensate in part for the increased costs? Is there going to be a big insurance price difference between them?

Thoughts?!

Thanks,
Gabe
6 seats and 100-- will be helpful for family trips.

Range is king. 90D if meets your needs, P90D if you really want the kick and can use it a lot, P100D if REALLY want the kick, can use it a lot (but fun and need will wear off). I'd say practicality P100D makes more sense since has the most range, then 90D, then P90D.

As far as depreciation goes, you'll take a bigger hit on the more expensive models, so likely P100D and P90D will lose most value faster than a 90D as they are highly marked up for the drivetrain motor in rear - nothing else is really different on the car at all (except the 100kWh battery model).

If P100D is doable and no one objects it, then go for it. You don't want to be the guy who keeps thinking "I should've gotten the P100D" when you see one on the road (or got smoked by one or other cars). If you are concerned about resale then you should be looking at inventory or used. The more expensive variants take the most hit.

Of course there's probably other should'ves after taking delivery (most likely should've waited more for such and such). Good luck.

Reactions: Cowby
I had the same dilema. I finally opted for the P100D. Basically it was 33% more expensive than an exactly equipped 90D. I believe I'll lose even more in resale value. I still think it's a very bad financial decision but cars are my guilty pleasures.

Reactions: Cowby
Performance capability s king. Get the P100D or I can just about guarantee that you will kick yourself for not getting what you wanted in the first place, will be in here, and elsewhere trying to convince yourself and others that the less expensive car of the two is "just as good as" the one you really wanted, but cheaper out on.

Neither car is a "need". Both are "wants" and arguably both are a "waste". You can get to and fro in a used Yugo or used Gremlin if it really came down to it.

And as long as you're looking at a "want", well then you may as well get all that you want, if it is within reach.

I had the same dilema. I finally opted for the P100D. Basically it was 33% more expensive than an exactly equipped 90D. I believe I'll lose even more in resale value. I still think it's a very bad financial decision but cars are my guilty pleasures.

Perzackly.

None of these PxxD cars makes financial sense.

But there are some things that you get because you "want".

Case in point, your kids. You've got 'em, because you wanted 'em.

They'll probably never make you any money, they'll only cost you money. They make you happy. And that makes them worth the financial cost.

Same as that P100D. While it might not make you as happy as your kids do, at least I hope that it doesn't, it still brings you a degree of happiness.

Happiness, cost money. Always has, always will. That's why the drug, entertainment, sports, and sex trades thrive and in up or down markets. Happiness cost money.

That P100D will never make you any money. It will only cost you money. But you got it because you wanted it. :D

You only go around once. This is not a dressed rehearsal, and you can't take it with you.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Cowby and JayBeeBee
Performance capability s king. Get the P100D or I can just about guarantee that you will kick yourself for not getting what you wanted in the first place, will be in here, and elsewhere trying to convince yourself and others that the less expensive car of the two is "just as good as" the one you really wanted, but cheaper out on.

Neither car is a "need". Both are "wants" and arguably both are a "waste". You can get to and fro in a used Yugo or used Gremlin if it really came down to it.

And as long as you're looking at a "want", well then you may as well get all that you want, if it is within reach.

The hell did I just read? :D

Most people don't value P very much, and the P is a very expensive upgrade, so I believe the P versions will depreciate more quickly. Your insurance will be higher with any car that is more expensive, but may specifically be even higher with a P... call up your carrier and ask them to quote both options. Most importantly, I think you can count on the fact that the P100D will be more expensive for you in every way: purchase, insurance, depreciation, the works. Don't try to rationalize this as a financially-sensible decision.

If your "...heart is screaming to get the P100D..." then simply think hard about whether it's how you spend your money, and what else you won't be doing with those $40K plus interest, and make the call. No one else can tell you what to do. Nothing is "king", and your car should reflect your needs, wants, and priorities. There is no "right answer". That being said, let me offer two thoughts:

First, I went with a P85 when I bought my Model S. Don't regret it for a second. I'm now going for a 90D Model X, because my Model S does 0-60 in 4.2 and the non-P 90D does it in 4.8... and both of those are plenty fast. An SUV that does a mid-four-second sprint to 60 was a mythical beast just a couple of years ago, so I don't see the value of putting $40K into the P100D upgrade: I'd rather get a bigger boat. :D

Second, I'm a strong believer in never stretching financially to buy stuff that depreciates. You have a family of six... if a P100D Model X is a stretch, then you're probably not fully ready to cover four college educations and everything that comes with four kids while you also save and invest for your retirement and legacy. And I'm sure that you'd love to be able to travel more, and do more things with your wife, while having less stress in life and a bigger cushion in case things go wrong. None of those are compatible with "stretching" for an even-more-premium Model X just to get faster acceleration.

Given what you've said, I'd recommend the 90D. But you need to make that call yourself and be comfortable in your decision.

Thoughts?!

Thanks,
Gabe
Go for the 75D.
It's all you really need!

When talking residual and all that - you're basically "already selling the car". Any thought of buying the car and keeping it 10 years? That averages out to under $10k/year for a 90D and maybe $14k/year for P100D. However, residual and depreciation is hardest hit during first 2-3 years. You can look for a CPO or high mileage loaner and take a good amount off the sticker price for a car slightly used. A new, higher-mileage, loaner would offer the biggest bite out of the early depreciation. I would bet you will see P90DX for up to $20K off at year end for the loaners with Vin #s below 14,000. The "P" option is a $10k retail software switch plus possibly heavier contactor (why don't they just install that contactor in non-P models so they can up-sell a post-delivery "P" upgrade?). The depreciation of that alone is probably $7k after 3-years.

Plus the non-P 100DX will be available soon. If you really "need" the range, wait for that. I doubt that 10kWh makes a big difference to most people unless they must commute 150 miles to work at 85mph and need a full charge to do it every day.

Thanks for all the great advice! I don't know how long I will keep it, just depends on how quickly the next Tesla advance that pushes me over the edge comes along. Super glad I got the AP 2.0. I ended up confirming the 90D, fully loaded except for the subzero package.

My DS says it should enter production this week. I guess they don't give the robots time off for Thanksgiving. Hoping for a pre Christmas delivery!