Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

90D order placed - likeminded sanity sought

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

This is my first thread, and it felt appropriate to use it to share my excitement for having just ordered a 90D!

Spec is as follows (I've tried to use the abbreviations):

90D, Pearl White, 19", Pano, Grey Next Gen, Black Gloss, Black Headliner, Prem interior pack, AP, UHFS, SAS.

I ordered on Sunday 21st Feb with the expected delivery of "late May". DS informed me yesterday that it's actuall June/July (seems like I'm experiencing Tesla Time for the first time!). The wait is going to be painful.

I'm going throu waves of unbelievable excitement and also nervousness due to the expense, so I'm selfishly seeking some encouragement that it's the right decision. I've discovered that the majority of the public either don't get EVs (ignorance) or try to make me feel bad about the expense. My plan now is to only speak to like minded people, so I'll be contributing the this awesome forum :smile:

Congratulations Scott. I am fairly certain you have ordered the most sensible specification. You have a car with an amazing range with nowhere out of reach in the UK, loads of superchargers (30+), and incredible performance. The 90D will do 0-60 in 4 seconds flat and autopilot itself up and down the motorways all day long. I also originally ordered a sensible spec 85D, and immediately regretted not getting a P85D at the time. After cancelling that order due to VAT issues I got a P90D Ludicrous and immediately regretted not getting a 90D (what a waste of money on acceleration). I hadn't even tried Insane or Ludicrous but got the P90DL anyway. I found that getting the best spec I could afford leaves less regrets overall. I hardly use Ludicrous mode, but when I do it's priceless and knowing that it's available whenever I need it makes the car that much more enjoyable. When people ask me "how much" I always tell them it starts at $70,000 and they can order it online from teslamotors.com.

All the worries you have now will disappear as soon as you leave the showroom...

Hi Scotty,

There is lot more of us with like minded sanity here!!! We have a somewhat similar configuration ordered so I can understand your excitement. My wife and I just feel fortunate to be living right now when Tesla is disrupting the transportation industry with such amazing cars. What might surprise a lot of people is the modest neighborhoods and with modest homes and garages that now have a Tesla charging in them.

Expensive? Yes, Exciting? Yes, very much so, The right decision? Absolutely!!!! With out a doubt!!!!!

From another being patiently being impatient!!!

Congratulations Scott. I am fairly certain you have ordered the most sensible specification. You have a car with an amazing range with nowhere out of reach in the UK, loads of superchargers (30+), and incredible performance. The 90D will do 0-60 in 4 seconds flat and autopilot itself up and down the motorways all day long. I also originally ordered a sensible spec 85D, and immediately regretted not getting a P85D at the time. After cancelling that order due to VAT issues I got a P90D Ludicrous and immediately regretted not getting a 90D (what a waste of money on acceleration). I hadn't even tried Insane or Ludicrous but got the P90DL anyway. I found that getting the best spec I could afford leaves less regrets overall. I hardly use Ludicrous mode, but when I do it's priceless and knowing that it's available whenever I need it makes the car that much more enjoyable. When people ask me "how much" I always tell them it starts at $70,000 and they can order it online from teslamotors.com.

All the worries you have now will disappear as soon as you leave the showroom...

I definitely subscribe to getting the best you can afford when it comes to everything. P90D was just a little out of my comfort zone, so I've promised myself that if this venture goes fine, I can always take a deeper plunge in 3 years time.

My two test drives were actually in a P90DL, and the cosmetic and technical spec of that car is exactly what I've gone for with my 90D. Completely loved the test drives and the performance of the car in 'sport' was excellent (apparently that's how the 90D will perform?). Tried out ludicrous on the first test drive and I'm ashamed to say I thought it was too fast! Ha ha. Never thought I'd think that. Although I'm sure if I had it, I'd have endless fun scaring the crap out of people.

Congrats on getting the best version of the best car :wink:

OP, congrats on taking the plunge. I have a S90D I took delivery of on October 5 -- exact same specs as what yours will be with the exception I have carbon fiber dash accents. You'll be happy with your decision to get a nearly loaded 90D, I'm sure. I too, just couldn't justify the significant bump in price for a Performance model with a feature I'd rarely use. My S90D has more than enough speed for anything I'd ever want -- it's better than take-off on Space Mountain at Disneyland or Rockin' Roller Coaster at Walt Disney World -- and those are fast enough for me.

If helpful while you wait, some pictures of my S90D are on Flickr HERE and you'll find several articles with accessories, hints/tips and opinions ;) on my personal website accessible from my sig line below ...of course, there are many threads here to help you bide your time waiting for delivery as well. CONGRATS!

Hi all,

This is my first thread, and it felt appropriate to use it to share my excitement for having just ordered a 90D!

90D, Pearl White, 19", Pano, Grey Next Gen, Black Gloss, Black Headliner, Prem interior pack, AP, UHFS, SAS.

I ordered on Sunday 21st Feb with the expected delivery of "late May". DS informed me yesterday that it's actuall June/July (seems like I'm experiencing Tesla Time for the first time!). The wait is going to be painful.

I'm going throu waves of unbelievable excitement and also nervousness due to the expense, so I'm selfishly seeking some encouragement that it's the right decision. I've discovered that the majority of the public either don't get EVs (ignorance) or try to make me feel bad about the expense. My plan now is to only speak to like minded people, so I'll be contributing the this awesome forum :smile:

This is very similar to my 2013 S85 specification (I got Plain White, Obeche Gloss, "D" wasn't available, AP wasn't available, and we didn't hvae a headliner choice). It's a very good spec. I'll warn you it's very hard to touch up the Pearl White; the plain white is apparently much easier to repair if you have a paint chip.

You'll enjoy the car. It's *extremely wide* so be careful on the narrow UK back roads.

It cost significantly more than any other car I've ever *driven in*. But it is totally worth it to *never have to go to gas (petrol) stations*. Make sure you get home charging if possible.

I'll warn you it's very hard to touch up the Pearl White; the plain white is apparently much easier to repair if you have a paint chip.

You'll enjoy the car. It's *extremely wide* so be careful on the narrow UK back roads.

Thanks for the tips. I did toil with the plain white, but the pearl on the test drive car was just so nice. Picked out all the
lines of the car. Maybe I'll get some paint armour on the front.

On the subject of width, totally agree! When I had finished my test drive and was walking away from the car, looking back, I actually said to the sales adivisor "good god, she's wide isn't she?!". He said it's as wide as a Range Rover, which I can believe. Those lovely wing mirrors will be on my mind when driving through some tight spots!

Hey Scott

Congrats on the order. I also ordered the 90D, Deep Blue Metallic, Pano, Black Alcantra, Carbon Fiber trim, Cold Weather Pkg, 19s, Premium Int.
I moving up from a Nissan LEAF, and was also concerned about the width. I had the benefit of a weekend test drive, and had no issues parking in my standard 1 car garage opening. Tighter, sure, but sufficient clearance, with the mirrors folded back.

In regards to the original post, I chose the 90D over a 70D, for the increased battery capacity. Being in Chicago, its cold for 5mos of the year, and wanted to be comfortable with the impact of the cold on the range.

A quick update on the width of the car. I was bored last night so measured my garage door opening. On comparing it to the car specs with folded mirrors, looks like I'll only have 4cm either side of the wing mirrors to get through the opening!

Time to start looking at some low profile garage doors!!

A quick update on the width of the car. I was bored last night so measured my garage door opening. On comparing it to the car specs with folded mirrors, looks like I'll only have 4cm either side of the wing mirrors to get through the opening!

Time to start looking at some low profile garage doors!!

Scott, how wide is the car with the mirrors folded? I should measure too. It's gonna be tight in my garage too.

Hi all,

Congratulations! While some will not understand, the vehicle is worth the cost. Not just because it is a fantastic car, which it is, but because it helps support Tesla who is leading the effort to advance the frontier of transportation in a way that will be an improvement for all mankind. For the improved driving experience, for the lower emissions, for the sustainability, for advanced features like auto pilot, and for driving the technologies and driving down the costs of those technologies. It sounds kind of touchy feely pie in the sky, but it's the truth. Not everyone feels that way right now, but I believe history will remember it that way. For the sake of the future of mankind, thank you for supporting the movement, and enjoy your awesome ride!

Reactions: CTShore
Congratulations on your 90D! I just confirmed an order for a 90D as well on February 28 just a few days after your order. I got the 90D because my wife wanted the extra range (never argue with the wife!) My Tesla's expected delivery date is somewhere between late March to early April (maybe because I am in California closer to Tesla Factory?). Anyways, I am really looking forward to driving my new Tesla with the Autopilot features. My coworkers all rave and gush about their Teslas.

Congratulations on your 90D! I just confirmed an order for a 90D as well on February 28 just a few days after your order. I got the 90D because my wife wanted the extra range (never argue with the wife!) My Tesla's expected delivery date is somewhere between late March to early April (maybe because I am in California closer to Tesla Factory?). Anyways, I am really looking forward to driving my new Tesla with the Autopilot features. My coworkers all rave and gush about their Teslas.

Righto! Get what the wife wants! My wife doesn't ever want me to turn the AC off so I can squeak out a little more EV range like I've been doing in our Volt for 5 years now. I told her never again and got the 90 over the 70. She can't blame me then! :)