Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

90D replacement battery under warranty?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious if anyone has within the past few months had their 90 battery replaced under warranty. Hoping to build a bit of publicly available info as we reach the realm of many of the early 90Ds running out of battery/drivetrain warranty.

For first reference, mine has been trending toward a critical brick imbalance for about 6 months, this week threw a BMS_u018 error, and is currently getting a replacement HV battery.

Unsure what part# I'm getting and if reman or new at this point. I've not heard of any reman 90 batteries to this point, hopefully they don't exist given their terrible degredation on the early models. Will update when I know more. Obviously really hoping for the new 350V 87.5kWh one, but I have no room to complain since it's free warranty work. I'm sure it will be better than the 215mi or so of range I was down to before it finally errored.

2015 MS 90D - build 08/2015
v1 90D battery based on build date
121k miles
BMS_u018 error shortly after reaching 20.1% CAC imbalance (calculated using ScanMyTesla)

Reactions: henderrj and ChrisJ
First I've heard of a 2015 getting a BMS_u018 alert as most 2015s are still under warranty. Remember your warranty on the replacement pack is only good till the original 8 year car warranty.

However, a growing number of out of warranty 2012-14 Model S's have experienced the BMS_u029/019 alert, including mine last Fall. So much so, that I started this Tesla BMS_u029/BMS_u018 | Facebook for information sharing and awareness.

You're welcome to join.

First I've heard of a 2015 getting a BMS_u018 alert as most 2015s are still under warranty. Remember your warranty on the replacement pack is only good till the original 8 year car warranty.

However, a growing number of out of warranty 2012-14 Model S's have experienced the BMS_u029/019 alert, including mine last Fall. So much so, that I started this Tesla BMS_u029/BMS_u018 | Facebook for information sharing and awareness.

You're welcome to join.
Yes I’m aware and have joined the Facebook group as well. Not a big Facebook guy generally, however. This thread is to start a similar conversation about 90kwh batteries, as I suspect I may be one of the first, but likely not the only, imbalance failures of this type of battery.

Share details anyone and everyone. Knowledge is power.

Reactions: NV Ray
Yes I’m aware and have joined the Facebook group as well. Not a big Facebook guy generally, however. This thread is to start a similar conversation about 90kwh batteries, as I suspect I may be one of the first, but likely not the only, imbalance failures of this type of battery.

Please let me know if I need to edit the Facebook Group's FAQs I put together. Thx. https://docs.google.com/document/d/...ouid=101367879314455822316&rtpof=true&sd=true

Curious if anyone has within the past few months had their 90 battery replaced under warranty. Hoping to build a bit of publicly available info as we reach the realm of many of the early 90Ds running out of battery/drivetrain warranty.

For first reference, mine has been trending toward a critical brick imbalance for about 6 months, this week threw a BMS_u018 error, and is currently getting a replacement HV battery.

Unsure what part# I'm getting and if reman or new at this point. I've not heard of any reman 90 batteries to this point, hopefully they don't exist given their terrible degredation on the early models. Will update when I know more. Obviously really hoping for the new 350V 87.5kWh one, but I have no room to complain since it's free warranty work. I'm sure it will be better than the 215mi or so of range I was down to before it finally errored.

121k miles
BMS_u018 error shortly after reaching 20.1% CAC imbalance (calculated using ScanMyTesla)
Is the last digits on your VIN under 70,000? 057 Tech has said those under 70K suffer from moisture leaks inside the battery packs and causing corrosion and permanent damage.

Sent you PM. Just want to confirm as you would be our first 2015 owner that got either the BMS_u029 or BMS_u018 alert. Correct? If I remember, you're still under warranty? Lastly, do you still have the alert or did it go away? Thx.

Sent you PM. Just want to confirm as you would be our first 2015 owner that got either the BMS_u029 or BMS_u018 alert. Correct? If I remember, you're still under warranty? Lastly, do you still have the alert or did it go away? Thx.
Also posted in the FB group, but it sounds like I might be one of the first but not the very first reported 2015.

Error showed up at very low SoC and went away with charging. I took photos and quickly made a service appointment. Tesla never messaged me via the service part of the app...when I arrived to the appointment, they told me the HV battery was getting replaced under warranty. No arguing or presenting data. That being said, I've been in twice in the past 6 months and messaged a couple other times separate from that about rapid battery degradation and CAC imbalance.

I think I’m most curious at this point if reman 90 packs exist. Service center is giving me mixed messages about new va reman zero say in the matter since it’s warranty work. I’ll certainly report back when I know more.

I think I’m most curious at this point if reman 90 packs exist. Service center is giving me mixed messages about new va reman zero say in the matter since it’s warranty work. I’ll certainly report back when I know more.
What would lead you to believe they don’t exist? Surely many 90s have failed, and it’s not like Tesla just throws them away when they replace them.

They may not exist in significant quantity at this time given failure rates - but you can bet they rebuild/remanufacture every battery they can.

What would lead you to believe they don’t exist? Surely many 90s have failed, and it’s not like Tesla just throws them away when they replace them.

They may not exist in significant quantity at this time given failure rates - but you can bet they rebuild/remanufacture every battery they can.

I don't dispute that at all. But I haven't found one in the parts catalog, nor have I heard an anecdote on here of someone receiving one.

Alright, after some additional digging, I found a reman 90kWh battery in the parts catalog. It is technically not for my 8/2015 build Model S. Practically, it's probably just fine. Googling that reman part number nets essentially no results. I'll keep TMC updated on what I end up receiving as a warranty replacement.

1683684756425.png

Alright, after some additional digging, I found a reman 90kWh battery in the parts catalog. It is technically not for my 8/2015 build Model S. Practically, it's probably just fine. Googling that reman part number nets essentially no results. I'll keep TMC updated on what I end up receiving as a warranty replacement.

View attachment 936339
Remember to take before and after pics of the pack label. Just saying.

Last edited:

121k miles
I had mine changed under warranty in March 2023, I upgraded it to a 90 at the time. I was told it was a new battery I was getting. My range went from 345 to 486km. So far charging mostly at home to 85%, all is well. My car is a 2015 SD, now 90D

What ended up happening with your replacement? And how do you calculate CAC imbalance using SMT for our cars? We have a 90D as well.

Sorry, life and a growing family got the better of me for so many months here. Tesla gave me a refurbished 90kWh battery. Took about a month to get it all done. Car is better than when I bought it now, but not as good as the brand new 87.5kWh batteries some have received when refurbs are on shortage. I get about 250-253mi of rated range at full charge. When I bought it used in 2021, I only got about 245, so really I’m quite pleased overall. CAC imbalance is 4ish and the voltage balance seems strong at all levels of charge. Think it should last for many years to come despite the warranty now being long gone.

CAC imbalance is a calculated value in Scan My Tesla. It appears after a few minutes of monitoring in the iOS version, you may need a beta version of the Android app.

• Informative
Reactions: hybridbear
Interestingly, on SMT the last 6 bricks (1 module) on the refurb HV battery seemed to initially have a slight but distinct lack of capacity compared to the others after the replacement. They would be the first to reach a higher voltage at higher SoC and vice versa at lower SoC. I’m suspicious Tesla found some way to replace a bad module in a used pack and reasonably balance things. The weird part is that voltage delta/imbalance has improved significantly over a few months and now I can’t tell the difference between those 6 bricks and the others in terms of capacity. Initial CAC imbalance was about 7.5, and now it’s down to 4ish as I mentioned above. Not sure how a module would improve (gain capacity in this case) to match the other bricks, but I’m not complaining about better balance seeing as that’s what tanked the old HV battery.

• Informative
Reactions: hybridbear
Interestingly, on SMT the last 6 bricks (1 module) on the refurb HV battery seemed to initially have a slight but distinct lack of capacity compared to the others after the replacement. They would be the first to reach a higher voltage at higher SoC and vice versa at lower SoC. I’m suspicious Tesla found some way to replace a bad module in a used pack and reasonably balance things. The weird part is that voltage delta/imbalance has improved significantly over a few months and now I can’t tell the difference between those 6 bricks and the others in terms of capacity. Initial CAC imbalance was about 7.5, and now it’s down to 4ish as I mentioned above. Not sure how a module would improve (gain capacity in this case) to match the other bricks, but I’m not complaining about better balance seeing as that’s what tanked the old HV battery.
Do you have the part number for your replaced battery? Thanks!