Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

90D with 5 seats confirmed for nearly 2 months. What's going on?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
was in a Tesla store in the Bay Area yesterday speaking with an associate about the MX 5,6 & 7 seat options. He said "if people want a 5 seater they should order a MS...Tesla may never produce a 5 seat MX"

Reality check: then we would all need to believe that the company from whom we are all purchasing a vehicle commits fraud on its sales website page by offering a five seat version of the Model X available in late 2016 for new orders. Very dramatic, but not likely, despite Tesla's bait and switch act going on with wannabe 5 seat IGT (instant gratification types) folks transitioning to 6 seats. My experience is that employees who work in car sales stores, any car sales store from a Kia to Tesla to Lamborghini, have as their highest purpose the ambition to tell you whatever they think they need to tell you to convince you to buy the car they are most able to sell you at that very instant.

Reactions: beths11
Reality check: then we would all need to believe that the company from whom we are all purchasing a vehicle commits fraud on its sales website page by offering a five seat version of the Model X available in late 2016 for new orders. Very dramatic, but not likely, despite Tesla's bait and switch act going on with wannabe 5 seat IGT (instant gratification types) folks transitioning to 6 seats. My experience is that employees who work in car sales stores, any car sales store from a Kia to Tesla to Lamborghini, have as their highest purpose the ambition to tell you whatever they think they need to tell you to convince you to buy the car they are most able to sell you at that very instant.

Tesla has, from time to time, over promised and failed to deliver.

• Informative
Reactions: bonaire and beths11
Tesla has, from time to time, over promised and failed to deliver.

Actually, and I say this with affection, Tesla always promises more than it can deliver. That's what I like about Tesla. Heck, the truth is I've spent most of my life promising more than I was actually able to deliver: it's not malice or arrogance or underachievement, I just try to set the bar high and then try to get as close as I can.

Lol at the use of "fraud." Are you serious? It's not fraud to promise a product and fail to deliver...unless they take your payment and refuse to refund it to you. Are you suggesting that tesla wouldn't provide a refund if the five seater isn't ever built?

Some of you guys need to step away from the computer and breathe. Tesla is working as hard as it can to please as many people as it can. There's nothing nefarious or underhanded going on.

Reactions: austinEV
... The 6 and 7 seat versions use the same basic location, structure, and design for the middle row seats. That produces the limited leg room for the middle row seats. The 5 seat version is being designed to have more leg room, a different support system, fold down ability, and interior changes to accommodate the adjusted location for the middle row. ...
I really hope my 5 seat X90D has fold down 2nd row seats.
The Leaf Hauls More than Model X!?

Good point, but lets face it, if we're hauling bed frames and crap in a 100K SUV, we obviously aren't concerned about resale value. $50 gets a nice little U-Haul trailer with way more room, something a Leaf can't do.

There is a market for the hitch + a Tesla Trailer (tm) - a nice, light aluminum structure utility trailer, that can be used for added utility. $4500 option at order, $5000... Roll it into the car pricing. Remember that they are pushing "go camping". Then go to other manufacturers for actual camping choices.
This idea, but take it a bit further for the MX + trailer. Add a powerwall inside and "beautiful roof" of solar PV and you're self-contained.

images

rvshow-tab.jpg

Last edited:
There is a market for the hitch + a Tesla Trailer (tm) - a nice, light aluminum structure utility trailer, that can be used for added utility. $4500 option at order, $5000... Roll it into the car pricing. Remember that they are pushing "go camping". Then go to other manufacturers for actual camping choices.
This idea, but take it a bit further for the MX + trailer. Add a powerwall inside and "beautiful roof" of solar PV and you're self-contained.

images

rvshow-tab.jpg

Yup. Just what I was hoping for. The Tesla forum is now a venue for folks who wish to feature pictures of yellow Jeep Grand Cherokees plastered with bumper stickers, towing tacky tiny house campers with turquoise trim. Next we can expect a ground swell of sentiment in favor of yellow and turquoise two-tone Teslas. Add a Trump bumper sticker to complete the image.

Kincaid, you missed it. There is a reason to be creative and a trailer built by Tesla can be useful. It can match the MX and supplement the cargo carrying capability. There can also be partnerships with firms like Thor Industries (right now, using Airstream for the mobile studio) for a Tesla-styled model as well. The towing package Model X should have a towing product associated with it - and I would bet it would sell reasonably well. To go camping, you might want the camping unit to pull. I'm a follower of the RV industry and see a lot of activity in the small "Pod" campers (like the green one shown above) which are astheticaly pleasing and meant to do just what Tesla is showing in the "Go Camping" posts. One key point about the picture below, however, is that portions of the tent will melt if positioned this close to a campfire.

images

I spoke with the Tesla Orlando store on September 8, 2016. I was told that production of the 5-seater would start in time for delivery at the end of the year (with an estimated time from production to delivery of 6-8 weeks). I was told that the second row will be on monoposts and that the seats will not fold. I don’t know whether any of this is reliable. That production time frame is consistent with Tesla’s most recently promised “end of 2016.” Time is running out for production to actually start.

• Informative
Reactions: beths11
I'm getting worn down by the wait. Clearly, the structural components of the design for the five seat Model X have been finalized: it's the end of September! Yet there has been no publication of what the design is. No written statement, no pictures, just silence on the subject, surrounded by really lame comments like "thank you for your patience" and the occasional allusive or oblique insinuation. What game is Tesla playing? What's Tesla hiding?

I'm getting worn down by the wait. Clearly, the structural components of the design for the five seat Model X have been finalized: it's the end of September! Yet there has been no publication of what the design is. No written statement, no pictures, just silence on the subject, surrounded by really lame comments like "thank you for your patience" and the occasional allusive or oblique insinuation. What game is Tesla playing? What's Tesla hiding?
I know it's hard to wait, but this is not unusual for Tesla, if you followed any of the S roll out. Coils were last and late. They are busy making money on cars that the production line is set up to make quickly. Don't fill your waiting void with conspiracy theories. You will get a better car by waiting (think 2.0).

I commend you on your patience. Obviously, Tesla doesn't want to reveal the 5-seat variant until it's 100% ready for production because once the world sees the new design, everyone will be cancelling their orders and switching to the 5-seat. :)

If they announce it before it's ready to ship, they will lose order until then. Its called the Osbourne Effect.

I commend you on your patience. Obviously, Tesla doesn't want to reveal the 5-seat variant until it's 100% ready for production because once the world sees the new design, everyone will be cancelling their orders and switching to the 5-seat. :)

If they announce it before it's ready to ship, they will lose order until then. Its called the Osbourne Effect.

I like this new concept of yours: "once the world sees the new design, everyone will be cancelling their orders and switching to the 5-seat". That is going to be my new working concept, and I support you theory.
There is one proviso, however. We will need to go forward within the context of the Osborne effect. I promise none of us will want to be influenced by the Osbourne effect; even Ozzie himself.