Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

90mph AutoPilot on a 45mph road (pics)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JulienW

Jul 7, 2018
Atlanta
Every where I have driven so far (except limited access/Interstate's) the speed has been limited to 5mph over the posted speed limit. Today I was on a 4 lane road about 25 miles north west of ATL (so still semi urban) and hit Autopilot and it took off and scared me as it keep accelerating. Looked down and the speed was set to 80mph in a 45mph zone. I immediately dialed back the speed and then thought to take a pic (also a car in front slowed me). However you can clearly see the posted speed is 45mph and I'm set/going 58mph. Also see is pic of the spot it happened. So is the limit supposed to be 5mph above or for some reason are some allowed to be FULL (90mph???) speed?

IMG_0686.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-06-27 at 5.14.04 PM.png

divided highways are not limited (90 max). See the grass between them? That counts as a divider.

If the lanes were aligned with each other, it slows you down to +5.

In theory, as we can read from the manual, it's only for "limited-access roads" with on-ramps and off-ramps and No intersections allowed and No left turn center lane allowed.

But so far, there have been 2 fatal autopilot accidents on highways with intersections and left turn center lane where trucks made a left turn in front of those 2 Tesla cars.

NHTSA criticized Tesla for not strictly enforcing the parameter "limited-access roads" by geofencing it.

I, on the other hand, don't like the idea of geofencing Autopilot because I know how to change speed, brake, and steer even when I use Autopilot.

But this is not even an issue on only autopilot -- it's TACC, which is on a vast array of cars.

What usually happens is that the map data shows a tiny section at 90mph and then a reasonable speed limit. NoA or AutoSteer puts hard limits on speed and tracks the changes in the firmware rev I have -- you cannot make it go more than X km/H over the limit in the EU-- but TACC does not adjust when the speed limit lowers (unless you press the speed limit icon yourself).

I'm puzzled that here AutoSteer seems to ignore the limit, but it may also be a EU vs US difference (i.e. a change of behaviour dictated by the desire to comply with the UN autonomous driving regulations).

Last edited:
In theory, as we can read from the manual, it's only for "limited-access roads" with on-ramps and off-ramps and No intersections allowed and No left turn center lane allowed.....
As you can see by the pic this is a very accessible road in a reasonably congested area. I have been on some other divided 4 lanes that are full access and was limited to >5mph. I would LOVE to see it upped to 10mph since at 5mph you are often a "granny' in the way. Of course we will probably see that shortly after it can do the neural net curves and road ahead predictability that was shown. Maybe early next year.

Maybe early next year.

Autopilot or just TACC is not perfect.

Sometimes the road is posted as 70MPH and it thinks the limit is 55MPH.

Other times the posted sign is 55MPH and it thinks the limit is 65MPH.

And of course, in a parking lot, the speed should be 5 MPH and I could repeatedly replicate that the TACC would blast my car to what it thinks as a 70MPH zone as displayed on its white icon on instrument clusters!

There have been so many imperfections since 2017 when I first used it. So many to list. I just have to make the most of what I have because this is still beta.

Nevertheless, even with all the shortfalls, I can't live without Autopilot. It's a blast!

Reactions: C141medic
Tap the brake and start over. It’s not like it floors it. Standard cruise control on any car can do the same. Driver in control.
Not the question since I KNOW the various ways to disable. The question is how did it happen and why. Can you get Autopilot to go 60mph or 80mph on a 45mph road? Seems something was off or not working correctly.

...Seems something was off or not working correctly.

Of course! It's beta. It's not finished yet! There's still a long way to go.

As @brkaus mentioned, the system is currently relying on the database. It's only as good as its database.

It's possible to manually fix the database but I am not sure whether it's the priority for Tesla because it is trying to get the TeslaVision up and running.

If you are that concerned, just log into your Tesla Account and send a note to Tesla.

If there are enough complaints they might implement a fix including geofencing and making sure your autopilot is disabled in that location.

Last edited:
Every where I have driven so far (except limited access/Interstate's) the speed has been limited to 5mph over the posted speed limit. Today I was on a 4 lane road about 25 miles north west of ATL (so still semi urban) and hit Autopilot and it took off and scared me as it keep accelerating. Looked down and the speed was set to 80mph in a 45mph zone. I immediately dialed back the speed and then thought to take a pic (also a car in front slowed me). However you can clearly see the posted speed is 45mph and I'm set/going 58mph. Also see is pic of the spot it happened. So is the limit supposed to be 5mph above or for some reason are some allowed to be FULL (90mph???) speed?

View attachment 424020
View attachment 424027

Might not entirely fix this issue (since it thought the limit was 80mph in a 45mph, you'd need a 35mph offset), but you can set your speed offset in Speed Assist to a larger negative value which would have limited the speed significantly. (I don't remember how negative it can go - I have mine set to at least -15mph.)

"When Traffic-Aware Cruise Control is available but is not actively cruising at a specified set speed, the touchscreen displays a gray speedometer icon below your current driving speed. The number shown in gray is your current driving speed, or the speed limit that is being determined by Speed Assist (see Controlling Speed Assist on page 93), whichever is greater. If you engage Traffic-Aware Cruise Control, this is the cruising speed that will be set."

So if you add a negative offset to the speed assist, it will tend to use a lower set speed, and the larger the offset, the more likely it is to be lower than your current speed. So you'll rarely have a problem where it speeds up when you engage cruise.

So is the limit supposed to be 5mph above or for some reason are some allowed to be FULL (90mph???) speed

Here's a picture of the system thinks that it's a 70MPH zone in a parking lot and the TACC (cruise control in grey) is ready to set off the speed limit of 70MPH from the white icon on the right:

NTldVNX.jpg

As long as I know how to apply brakes, I don't see any problem in using current unfinished Autopilot. It will get better but in the meantime, the work is not done just yet as it's still in beta.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod