Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Standard autopilot question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just bought a 2021 M3 and absolutely love it. Used to have a old MS pre-autopilot.

Been playing with it and it will only allow autopilot up to 5mph over the speed limit.
The major road I take to work is 35mph for several miles and the avg traffic speed is 45-50mph. Everyone was getting pissed off and flashing lights at me for only going 40mph.
I see in the menu you can set the offset and I set it for 10 above the speed limit and it still will only go 5mph over.
Am I doing something wrong?

Also, when taking off from a light, I also get passed like crazy as the car takes a while to get up to speed and the catch up to the car in front of me. It seems to be way more aggressive coming to a stop than taking off.

Thinking of paying the $200 and trying it out for a month.

Also, where I live there’s tons of deep potholes (just had to replace a strut in our BMW M3 from hitting one a few weeks ago) and I have to constantly manually swerve around them while in autopilot. I have Tesla Insurance and it’s rated me at 99%, would swerving in my lane have any effect on my rating?

I just bought a 2021 M3 and absolutely love it. Used to have a old MS pre-autopilot.

Been playing with it and it will only allow autopilot up to 5mph over the speed limit.
The major road I take to work is 35mph for several miles and the avg traffic speed is 45-50mph. Everyone was getting pissed off and flashing lights at me for only going 40mph.
I see in the menu you can set the offset and I set it for 10 above the speed limit and it still will only go 5mph over.
Am I doing something wrong?

Also, when taking off from a light, I also get passed like crazy as the car takes a while to get up to speed and the catch up to the car in front of me. It seems to be way more aggressive coming to a stop than taking off.

Thinking of paying the $200 and trying it out for a month.

Also, where I live there’s tons of deep potholes (just had to replace a strut in our BMW M3 from hitting one a few weeks ago) and I have to constantly manually swerve around them while in autopilot. I have Tesla Insurance and it’s rated me at 99%, would swerving in my lane have any effect on my rating?
Driver Assist is designed for divided highways and freeways. City streets, smaller rural roads, and undivided highways are limited to 5 over the posted speed limit.

Swerving should not affect your rating.

No, it doesn’t sound like you’re doing anything wrong. Sometimes the max speed isn’t enough because the speed limit just isn’t realistically what people drive on that road. Production AP (no matter whether you only have basic/included AP or purchase/subscribe to the FSD Capability package) won’t allow more than 5 MPH over the speed limit because the map data says it’s not a freeway like road. The “10 MPH over the speed limit” setting you’re referring to only applies to freeways that the map data says is a freeway.

So paying the $200 to subscribe to FSD Capability package alone won’t change that limit, but paying that $200 AND requesting and enabling FSD beta will. FSD beta will allow you to set and go over the basic AP 5 MPH limit (personally I use 14% over speed limit). Subscribing and enabling FSD beta will also be more aggressive off the line, but depending on your region’s “driving culture”, I’ve found it to be still too chill sometimes so I will press the accelerator pedal myself to encourage faster without disabling the autosteer+TACC (in this case, FSD beta). You can use this “manual pedal for a brief moment then let AP take over by releasing the pedal” method with basic production AP too. Anyhow, if you do go the FSD beta route, keep in mind it opens a whole ‘nother can of worms so proceed VERY carefully.

Sometimes it seems arbitrary or even switches seemingly randomly but this is all based on the map data (gathered from a few sources it seems like Google Maps, Open Maps, etc.)

Reactions: Jasper7821
No, it doesn’t sound like you’re doing anything wrong. Sometimes the max speed isn’t enough because the speed limit just isn’t realistically what people drive on that road. Production AP (no matter whether you only have basic/included AP or purchase/subscribe to the FSD Capability package) won’t allow more than 5 MPH over the speed limit because the map data says it’s not a freeway like road. The “10 MPH over the speed limit” setting you’re referring to only applies to freeways that the map data says is a freeway.

So paying the $200 to subscribe to FSD Capability package alone won’t change that limit, but paying that $200 AND requesting and enabling FSD beta will. FSD beta will allow you to set and go over the basic AP 5 MPH limit (personally I use 14% over speed limit). Subscribing and enabling FSD beta will also be more aggressive off the line, but depending on your region’s “driving culture”, I’ve found it to be still too chill sometimes so I will press the accelerator pedal myself to encourage faster without disabling the autosteer+TACC (in this case, FSD beta). You can use this “manual pedal for a brief moment then let AP take over by releasing the pedal” method with basic production AP too. Anyhow, if you do go the FSD beta route, keep in mind it opens a whole ‘nother can of worms so proceed VERY carefully.

Sometimes it seems arbitrary or even switches seemingly randomly but this is all based on the map data (gathered from a few sources it seems like Google Maps, Open Maps, etc.)
Thank you very much, I definitely am not paying 15k for FSD, but wouldn’t mind trying it for a month for $200.
if I subscribe for a month, how do I request beta?
And I’m a very cautious driver, I just want to be with the flow of traffic. So I’d always being paying attention.
Thank you.

This is an aside to the OP's original question:
I've noticed a lot of people here say that they use or have tried Autopilot on city streets. In my 2022 EAP M3 I can use TACC (no stop light/sign control, only "lead car aware") but it will not allow Autosteer. I thought this was the way it was designed to operate...so how are people able to engage it?

*I'm not interested in actually doing this, but curious...

Thank you very much, I definitely am not paying 15k for FSD, but wouldn’t mind trying it for a month for $200.
if I subscribe for a month, how do I request beta?
And I’m a very cautious driver, I just want to be with the flow of traffic. So I’d always being paying attention.
Thank you.
Of course these processes keep changing, but last I knew (how we got it on our newer Model 3) after subscribing ($200 thing) you can request it in the autopilot menu on the car display. Then you’ll immediately have access to all the FSD Capability package features, but you’ll get a notification of a new software update available soon after (up to a couple days?), it’ll download, install, and you can then enable FSD beta in the same menu section.

It’s good that you’re a cautious driver. I meant be VERY careful because with FSD beta it’s not so much how good a driver you are, as it is how good you are at monitoring the car during “monotonous drives” (it performs amazingly well for long periods) and out of the blue does something crazy and you need to take over in a split second, or just press the accelerator briefly, or whatever.

This is an aside to the OP's original question:
I've noticed a lot of people here say that they use or have tried Autopilot on city streets. In my 2022 EAP M3 I can use TACC (no stop light/sign control, only "lead car aware") but it will not allow Autosteer. I thought this was the way it was designed to operate...so how are people able to engage it?

*I'm not interested in actually doing this, but curious...
I don’t remember there ever being a time I couldn’t use basic AP autosteer on city streets. It’s just very limited so I instinctively would disable (press up on right stalk one step), perform the turn or lane change or whatever basic AP could not do, then reenable autosteer (press down twice just one step on the right stalk).

Reactions: Dewg
Of course these processes keep changing, but last I knew (how we got it on our newer Model 3) after subscribing ($200 thing) you can request it in the autopilot menu on the car display. Then you’ll immediately have access to all the FSD Capability package features, but you’ll get a notification of a new software update available soon after (up to a couple days?), it’ll download, install, and you can then enable FSD beta in the same menu section.

It’s good that you’re a cautious driver. I meant be VERY careful because with FSD beta it’s not so much how good a driver you are, as it is how good you are at monitoring the car during “monotonous drives” (it performs amazingly well for long periods) and out of the blue does something crazy and you need to take over in a split second, or just press the accelerator briefly, or whatever.
Perfect, thank you. Since I’ll be able increase the speed limit to the flow of traffic, I think I’m going to try it for a month 😁. Thank you again

This has been my experience as well. You can step on the accelerator pedal to assist the take-off's and keep up with other cars without disengaging autopilot. The aggressive stopping is frustrating and has no cure as far as I am aware. It just doesn't drive as well as a human (yet), but it's still pretty remarkable for what it does. The "following distance" seems to have almost no effect that I can discern. I wish they would add an additional setting for "aggressiveness factor" that would allow for the customization of take off acceleration and braking deceleration.

I may try it for a month, question though. It says Autosteer on city streets coming later this year. Isn’t FSD already steering on streets ?
And is it for 30 days or 1st to 1st.
Wanted to wait until the weekend since I’m working 12hrs all week and if I did it this weekend, that would give me a few more days in March. But if it’s 1st to 1st, I mine as well start it today to get a full month even though it’s only 28 days.

Attachments

• 66C0D447-4852-4358-8555-76C5C8FD4E34.jpeg
    66C0D447-4852-4358-8555-76C5C8FD4E34.jpeg
    296.4 KB · Views: 98
I would also call to uour attention the issue of speedometer accuracy. In my experience, and others have noted the same thing, the car on standard software may be going notably slower than what the speedometer (and associated max speed setting) is indicating. This further contributes to the problem of the 5-over speed cap, and running slower than prevailing the traffic. If and when you try FSD beta, you may find that most of this speed discrepancy has been eliminated, i.e. the car's true speed will be higher and closer to the speedometer readout indication.

I recently posted a thread about this, in case you want to review it:
Thread - FSDb improved speedometer accuracy

Last edited:
I would also call to uour attention the issue of speedometer accuracy. In my experience, and others have noted the same thing, the car on standard software may be going notably slower than what the speedometer (and associated max speed setting) is indicating. This further contributes to the problem of the 5-over speed cap, and running slower than prevailing the traffic. If and when you try FSD beta, you may find that most of this speed discrepancy has been eliminated, i.e. the car's true speed will be higher and closer to the speedometer readout indication.

I recently posted a thread about this, in case you want to review it:
Thread - FSDb improved speedometer accuracy
Thank you, will do

Reactions: zoomer0056
I subscribed to FSD to try it out. I don’t know what’s wrong.

I confirmed to all the disclaimers, it’s saying Autosteer is unavailable, It won’t turn right/left at the light when supposed to follow the route.

At every light even if green it says keep the accelerator on to cross the light.

It’s not starting back up when the light turns green.

When passing a crosswalk the steering gets jittery making little sharp moves left/right.

I have Tesla insurance and it was 99% yesterday and last night it was 96% due to hard braking and aggressive turning all while on autopilot.

It still will not go over 5mph over the speed limit

I haven’t tries summon yet.

Just curious what I’m doing wrong that FSD will not work.

You have the FSD option but not FSD Beta, which is needed to do those things. Did you request FSD Beta on the Controls > Autopilot screen?
I’m pretty sure it said FSD Beta when I was confirming everything. I first went into the update screen and subscribed to FSD and I think it said Beta. But everything in the autopilot screen I agreed to and I’m pretty sure it said Beta. But on the subscription it just said FSD

Also, when watching a few YouTube videos you can swipe the screen to show the full FSD screen. Mines not doing that, it’s 1/2 FSD and 1/2 NAV. I’ll play with the menus again at lunch and see if I see anything else.

Attachments

• AD3D53DF-0DB4-4B95-83B3-C0A6CF5727AB.jpeg
    AD3D53DF-0DB4-4B95-83B3-C0A6CF5727AB.jpeg
    296.4 KB · Views: 41
A lot of the other features are identified as Beta, so it can be confusing. Here's how you get FSD Beta:
  1. On the Controls > Autopilot screen, click the Request FSD Beta link. Sounds like you already did that.
  2. Wait for the FSD Beta software build to be pushed to your car, which can take days. I'm guessing that hasn't happened yet -- which build is currently installed in your car?
  3. Once you get and install the FSD Beta build, enable FSD Beta on the Controls > Autopilot screen.
Once you've done all of those things, you should be good to go.

• Helpful
Reactions: zoomer0056