Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

980 vs 990 motor settled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Telsa Model 3 LR (GHOST UPGRADE) vs Tesla Model 3 LR - YouTube

Lol, controversial vid, but even if the ghost won, I would still question its value over the regular boost.

I've ran an 11.33 at the track with back seats out / lighter wheels and have beat a friends Stealth M3P. I've had the Boost before Ghost. The difference is night and day below 60 and well worth it imo. Majority of acceleration used on the street for me is in that range anyhow. Going on 2 years with it and not a single issue. Not sure what this dudes '780 has entered the chat' is supposed to incite interest in.

A hatch back with a fixed rear glass?

They made it a hatchback in 2020, it’s called a Y. Fits baby seats better too.
@buckets0fun The Y isn't a hatcback 3. At first glance it sure looks like one, but the size and driving experience are quite different. The Y is truly a CUV, for better (space) and for worse (driving dynamics).

A true hatchback 3 ought to retain much more of the Model 3 sedan's driving dynamics.

• Funny
Reactions: buckets0fun
@buckets0fun The Y isn't a hatcback 3. At first glance it sure looks like one, but the size and driving experience are quite different. The Y is truly a CUV, for better (space) and for worse (driving dynamics).

A true hatchback 3 ought to retain much more of the Model 3 sedan's driving dynamics.
It literally uses most of the parts from the 3. Almost all of the suspension(yes I know knuckles/struts), albeit more subaru Impreza Outback “lift” vs subaru Impreza.

I fail to see how a low model Y isn’t a slightly wider 3 +hatchback. But, meh… lemme go back in the driveway and look at our 3 vs the Y. It’s not a 3 vs the X we’re talking about here.

It literally uses most of the parts from the 3. Almost all of the suspension(yes I know knuckles/struts), albeit more subaru Impreza Outback “lift” vs subaru Impreza.

The Y originally was intended to share most parts with 3- it didn't turn out that way because they'd found a lot better way to do stuff by then.

Zhihu Automobile found the Model Y in their possession had around 25% of its parts in common with a Model 3. Much of the suspension and front brakes were unique to the Model Y

Last edited:

I fail to see how a low model Y isn’t a slightly wider 3 +hatchback. But, meh… lemme go back in the driveway and look at our 3 vs the Y. It’s not a 3 vs the X we’re talking about here.
@buckets0fun Outback is a lifted Legacy, not Impreza. The equivalent Subaru comparison is Impreza vs Forester, and it's a similar result, the Forester has a lot more space but the Impreza is more fun and satisfying to toss around and use for sporty driving. Chassis rigidity comparison is similar too, the CUV feels more flexy. Subaru has long offered a hatchback / short wagon version of the Impreza though, separate from the CUV Forester!

I'm aware the 3 and Y share a huge number of parts but the resulting driving experience is pretty different. After test driving a 2021 MYLR I told my wife I'd honestly rather drive our old 2013 S. If we got the Y it'd become "her car" because I wouldn't want to drive it. When we finally got to test drive a Model 3 (they had no Model 3 demos for a while) it instantly put a smile on my face. Within a few blocks I had a feeling we'd end up cancelling our other EV order (Polestar 2 Performance - a hatchback!) and buying the M3P - and that's exactly what we did.

The 3 has its flaws too of course, no car is perfect, but I find it fun to drive, whereas the Y I do not. But the Y sure has a lot more space inside. The seating is more comfortable (though not the suspension) and it's vastly better for cargo hauling. Pick your priorities. 🤷‍♂️

• Funny
Reactions: buckets0fun

I own a 3 and a Y. The Y is really just a 3 that has been stretched vertically and with a hatchback.

The rear storage space in the Y is (frustratingly) impacted by the roofline slope. But I understand it's for aerodynamics.

I own a 3 and a Y. The Y is really just a 3 that has been stretched vertically and with a hatchback.

The rear storage space in the Y is (frustratingly) impacted by the roofline slope. But I understand it's for aerodynamics.
To each their own I guess. When I test drove them, the 3 felt instantly fun and tossable and satisfying to drive. With flaws for sure, but overall fun and satisfying nonetheless. The Y I didn't care for at all. It felt like a lot was lost in the crossover transformation. It's a far better utility vehicle, if you need the space then you need the space, but in terms of driving satisfaction the Y didn't do much for me (besides the usual Tesla quick acceleration).

To be clear, I would say the same of every single CUV I've ever driven. It's not like there's another CUV I'd rather drive, I just don't find them fun or satisfying in general. I'd much rather drive an Impreza than a Forester, a 3 series than an X3, etc. The Y isn't a bad CUV at all, it's a good one...but it's not a sporty sedan or hatchback (to me).

@buckets0fun Outback is a lifted Legacy, not Impreza. The equivalent Subaru comparison is Impreza vs Forester, and it's a similar result, the Forester has a lot more space but the Impreza is more fun and satisfying to toss around and use for sporty driving. Chassis rigidity comparison is similar too, the CUV feels more flexy. Subaru has long offered a hatchback / short wagon version of the Impreza though, separate from the CUV Forester!

I'm aware the 3 and Y share a huge number of parts but the resulting driving experience is pretty different. After test driving a 2021 MYLR I told my wife I'd honestly rather drive our old 2013 S. If we got the Y it'd become "her car" because I wouldn't want to drive it. When we finally got to test drive a Model 3 (they had no Model 3 demos for a while) it instantly put a smile on my face. Within a few blocks I had a feeling we'd end up cancelling our other EV order (Polestar 2 Performance - a hatchback!) and buying the M3P - and that's exactly what we did.

The 3 has its flaws too of course, no car is perfect, but I find it fun to drive, whereas the Y I do not. But the Y sure has a lot more space inside. The seating is more comfortable (though not the suspension) and it's vastly better for cargo hauling. Pick your priorities. 🤷‍♂️
Lmgtfy.com -> is a Subaru Impreza outback a real car?

Answer- yep. Sure is, produced for over 20yrs.

Did subaru also make a legacy outback, yep, over 20yrs and counting.

To your points: which is it? Is the 3 and Y the same subframe, suspension arms, tail lamps, seats, dash, et cetera or is it just that you don’t like the difference in how they drive stock for stock?

Those of us with both, know them to be the same.

Reactions: hyp36rmax
To each their own I guess. When I test drove them, the 3 felt instantly fun and tossable and satisfying to drive. With flaws for sure, but overall fun and satisfying nonetheless. The Y I didn't care for at all. It felt like a lot was lost in the crossover transformation. It's a far better utility vehicle, if you need the space then you need the space, but in terms of driving satisfaction the Y didn't do much for me (besides the usual Tesla quick acceleration).

To be clear, I would say the same of every single CUV I've ever driven. It's not like there's another CUV I'd rather drive, I just don't find them fun or satisfying in general. I'd much rather drive an Impreza than a Forester, a 3 series than an X3, etc. The Y isn't a bad CUV at all, it's a good one...but it's not a sporty sedan or hatchback (to me).
Completely agree re driving experience. I’ll take the driving dynamics and seating position of my 3 over our Y all day.

Reactions: tm1v2
To your points: which is it? Is the 3 and Y the same subframe, suspension arms, tail lamps, seats, dash, et cetera or is it just that you don’t like the difference in how they drive stock for stock?

Those of us with both, know them to be the same.

Except, factually, they are not.

As I cited with a source a few posts ago, they only share about 25% of their parts.

They are definitely NOT the same subframes either- the Y somewhat famously did the rear as a single piece casting while the 3 is very different (though the upcoming refresh may fix this)

Yet Another Source on this:

The Model 3’s current design is not a single piece casting and is comprised of 70 different metal parts welded together to create the vehicle’s underbody. Tesla improved upon this design in its Model Y crossover by using a massive, single-piece casting to eliminate 69 total parts. The single-piece design is effective for manufacturing purposes and increases structural rigidity in the event of an accident.

Reactions: M109Rider and tm1v2
Except, factually, they are not.

As I cited with a source a few posts ago, they only share about 25% of their parts.

They are definitely NOT the same subframes either- the Y somewhat famously did the rear as a single piece casting while the 3 is very different (though the upcoming refresh may fix this)
2020-2021, precasting change shared more parts.

I’m not here to explain why honey is better than *sugar*. Flies and bees.

2020-2021, precasting change shared more parts.

They did- but even then, for example, the rear frame was 2 pieces on the Y and 70 pieces on the 3. The Y got even more different (now 1 piece since 2021) since then.

Mentions the change to 1-piece, from the early-Y 2 piece rear.

I agree with you. I had the Model Y for over a week and drove 2k miles up and down Cali. It was decidedly an inferior driving experience dynamically over a Model 3...very noticeable. To each their own.

Reactions: tm1v2
They did- but even then, for example, the rear frame was 2 pieces on the Y and 70 pieces on the 3. The Y got even more different (now 1 piece since 2021) since then.

Mentions the change to 1-piece, from the early-Y 2 piece rear.
Lol.

Component level.

Seats ✅
Suspension arms ✅
Hubs✅
Dash ✅
Center console ✅

Imagine thinking the structural parts of a wider car being the same as a narrow car. 🥴😂

You can shove 3 coilovers, aftermarket arms, brakes, wheels on a Y and have a mega low Y due to strut height. A La subaru references

Imagine thinking the structural parts of a wider car being the same as a narrow car. 🥴😂

Indeed that WOULD be laughable.

It's twice as funny because you're the one who made the claim.

3 and Y the same subframe

it isn't.

Just as your ORIGINAL claim of "It literally uses most of the parts from the 3." is also factually wrong.

It's not most. It's about 25%.