Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A comparison of the two Model S I've owned

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had an accident in late May, after driving my 60kwh model S for 3 months. Yesterday, July 8, I picked up a replacement Performance 85 after learning that my car was going to be a total loss. I'm not going to compare the two different configurations, the 85P is obviously faster and has aesthetic differences in the interior. I've noticed a quite a few changes as the product line has matured from VIN 4768 to 13605. I got the 85P and asked for a downgrade to 19" wheels.

Driving Dynamics:
The 60kwh seemed to push me directly into my seat when I accelerated. The P85 has so much torque that it feels as if the front of the car "lifts" when accelerating from a stop. While the P85 is faster and more powerful. I prefer the feeling of the 60. Perhaps the suspension of the Performance Plus provides more forces directed in a more horizontal vector.

The obvious:
  • No Fog Lights
  • No spring loaded ridges in the cup holders

Subtle changes:
  • The handles that lift up the rear trunk storage cover are of a different design
  • The carpet of the "yacht floor" is more plush in the earlier model.
  • The inserts in the floor of the rear hatch were chrome in the earlier model

Improvements with maturation of the production line:
  • Absolutely no Pano roof squeak at all now. My previous one had creaking which I was eventually going to get fixed
  • The door handles feel a little different now. There is a spring loaded feel during the last millimeter or two of travel when pulling on them. I know that they had a redesign
  • Cabin wind noise on the freeway had decreased a lot. 4768 must have had an imperfect seal somewhere
  • No high pitched balloon like "squeeee" sound from the motor/inverter area during acceleration. I understand that this sometimes develops after a few thousand miles.
  • More of a low powerful sound from the motor during spirited acceleration (almost certainly a P85 thing)
  • Body panels, particularly in the front between bumper, fender and frunk are much more tightly put together and aligned better.
  • The passenger door seems to close well on the first try, every try.

Room for improvement:
  • The final detail is not up to the standards of what one would expect when purchasing a high end automobile. The tires look black, shiny and wet but the clear coat is in need of correction and the windshield looks like it was cleaned hastily. There are holograms, streaks and swirls galore on the finish. A lot of white polishing dust caught in the seams. Maybe this was a function of a rushed final prep to get my car to me. I'm going to have to put in some elbow grease. I used Glare Professional on my last car with great satisfaction. The body repair manager told me that he swears by Zymol cleaner wax. One thing that I'm not going to be reimbursed for after an accident is the hours of effort spent on the finish of the last car.

Last edited:
Room for improvement:
  • The final detail is not up to the standards of what one would expect when purchasing a high end automobile. The tires look black, shiny and wet but the clear coat is in need of correction and the windshield looks like it was cleaned hastily. There are holograms, streaks and swirls galore on the finish. A lot of white polishing dust caught in the seams. Maybe this was a function of a rushed final prep to get my car to me. I'm going to have to put in some elbow grease. I used Glare Professional on my last car with great satisfaction. The Tesla employee told me that he swears by Zymol cleaner wax. One thing that I'm not going to be reimbursed for after an accident is the hours of effort spent on the finish of the last car.

This issue has plagued them forever. My car (3280) has similar issues and needed much correction. Tesla fixed it for us.

Great writeup, GasDoc. Especially interesting as I'm workin' on ordering a nearly exact same config: Blue/Tan/Obeche Gloss/Pano Roof/SuperCharger/Tech/Premium Sound car! (The 60kWh version.)

Only difference -- not sold on value of Air Suspension.

How much are you noticing the difference between the 60 and the 85P in terms of power, handling, etc?

How much are you noticing the difference between the 60 and the 85P in terms of power, handling, etc?

The 60kwh model is plenty fast. It was a fast car; much faster than my 7 series. The 85P, however, is Scary Fast. You can really push yourself back into the seat when accelerating from a stop.

I'm not an aggressive driver on the turns, so I can't really tell the difference in handling and suspension. Given my recent experiences, I've become a more conservative driver if anything.

I've noticed a quite a few changes as the product line has matured from VIN 4768 to 13605.
I'm glad Tesla's been improving things, but I'm sad my VIN 2410 is never going to see those improvements. This is a once in a lifetime car for me, the money from a confluence of one time events. It's well beyond my budget and I simply can't afford the cost of trading in for a new one in a few years, or probably ever for that matter. Knowing what I know now, I wish I'd waited another 6 months.

I probably most envious of the sounds improvements with reduced air noise and fewer squeaks. It's only been 6 months and my S is already full of squeaks.

If your car has squeaks, you should contact Tesla Service and they should fix it under warranty. My VIN is in the 22xx and there was a noise coming from the passenger side dash area after about 3 months. It was fixed back in March by the staff at the Menlo Park Service Center.

This is very promising, I'm glad that the car is coming along nicely and the issues are getting fixed in production now instead of post-production. The other great thing that a new company must have is the ability to fix all the little issues just like Tesla is doing. Obviously, there's going to be a few growing pains, like door handles, and lack of loaners. But, it's part of the early-adopter tax IMO. As an early adopter in many other cars, tech, and the like I can say that it definitely has it's rewards and the process of resolving the issues is kind of part of the fun, but it no doubt can be aggravating if the issue annoys you enough.

GasDoc, glad you are back up and running in your new P85. That is very similar to mine. I agree about the scary fast characterization. I've settled in a bit but use the acceleration to better position my car (out of blind spots, ready for merge and so on). Oh, yeah, and during test drives to prove electric has better torque than ICE.

When I got mine the windshield was rather smudged so I took windex to it. However, my paint (mc read) was darn near perfect.

This thread makes me feel much, much better about my Model S purchase.

To give you some background, I finalized my order on June 27th and am now in production and past my refund window. My vehicle is expected to be completed in August. I'll be honest, reading through some of the problem threads here and over at TM gave me pause and had me reconsidering my decision. The fact that most, if not all of the things that I've been reading about have been resolved, gives me confidence and peace of mind.

Thanks to OP for reporting back and sharing this information. Very valuable!

I plan to apply Glare Professional this weekend on my black MS. Would appreciate any tips / suggestions you might have on paint prep, Glare application etc.

The only advice I would give is to be careful keeping Glare off the rubber (?) tracks of the pano roof and the plastic trim that runs below the doors and fenders. It had a tendency to stain those surfaces light. Ironically, I thought I had fixed this problem by applying some tire product to those surfaces on the afternoon of my accident. I never followed up on if that was a long term fix

Last edited:
The only advice I would give is to be careful keeping Glare off the rubber (?) tracks of the pano roof and the plastic trim that runs blow the doors and fenders. It had a tendency to stain those surfaces light. Ironically, I thought I had fixed this problem by applying some tire product to those surfaces on the afternoon of my accident. I never followed up on if that was a long term fix

Thanks. I will mask off those areas prior to Glare application.