Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Love Story: Model 3 is so good, monster truck drivers want to finger it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Haha, nope. At a red light 10 miles away this time. He came out of a gas station, ended up next to me at the light, and displayed a sign of affection once again. I thought it was kinda funny and didn't remember him until I saw the front of his truck later on. Video was in Los Angeles and this was in San Fernando Valley.

Regarding that lane, I've found that sticking to that left lane overall flows better. The right 3 lanes usually become way slower a few miles ahead due to them merging on the 101 highway. This was before I had gotten my HOV stickers. :)
Sounds like you need a "this car identifies as a diesel sticker".

• Funny
Reactions: Pkmmte
Although it doesn't justify his reaction, I'll be the dissenting opinion here.

I know it isn't common in Cali but the left lane is for passing, not cruising at a speed slower than lanes to your right. You literally had 6 people pass you in the lane immediately to your right, and 15-20 pass you in all lanes to your right in the minute of your video. If you want to drive leisurely (which is great, btw) then please move out of the passing lane.

Agreed, 42 MPH in the fast lane and cars are ripping by him on the right... living on the edge...be glad he used his finger and not the 9mm sex toy in the center console.

Last edited:
Agreed, 42 MPH in the fast lane and cars are ripping by him on the right... living on the edge...be glad he used his finger and not the 9mm sex toy in the center console.

That toy will get you a number of years in lockup and having worked in a lockup unit as a tech its not a good place to be. The term prison girlfriend is real and not worth any moment of anger traffic may cause.

The police have have far bigger toys and authority to use them.

I worked for a company similar to this.
Jail controls system company, Sydaptic, Inc., is responsible for the ENTIRE Jail Control Systems and axially products.

Last edited:
I just watched your video and I've got to ask... why so many cars passing you on the right? Why hog the left lane? Trying to be impartial here, but people who go to sleep in the left lane really do interrupt the flow of traffic. Maybe it wasn't your electric car he was upset about but sleeping in the left?

Here's a problem I had with a truck the other day while in my Bolt. Please ignore my coworker talking about playing engine sounds in the beginning of the video.

He was behind a line of cars all going the same speed. The truck driver was only angry at HIM.

This is your country on fox news. They've made these moronic gorilla people so passionate in their hatred of those evil libs, that they now hate EVs, clean tech, and protecting the planet, since libs like those things.

Generalize much? I'm a conservative / libertarian guy, yet here I am with not one, but two electric cars. Do you realize you are exercising the same generalizations that you accuse the moronic gorilla people of? Just sayin'

My car is in for service, I will request a key fob and see what they say.

Generalize much? I'm a conservative / libertarian guy, yet here I am with not one, but two electric cars. Do you realize you are exercising the same generalizations that you accuse the moronic gorilla people of? Just sayin'

Let them continue their holier than thou divisiveness and we'll continue not getting tired of winning :)

I just watched your video and I've got to ask... why so many cars passing you on the right? Why hog the left lane? Trying to be impartial here, but people who go to sleep in the left lane really do interrupt the flow of traffic. Maybe it wasn't your electric car he was upset about but sleeping in the left?
The right 3 lanes usually slow to a crawl a few miles ahead because the right 2 merge into the 101 highway. It was either the left or second to left. The left is generally faster and the second to left had slightly faded markers up ahead which sometimes causes AutoPilot to behave weird. I wanted to get there faster and with AutoPilot, therefore I used the left. Nowadays, I just use the HOV lane.

Reactions: TrumpetTitan
I know it isn't common in Cali but the left lane is for passing, not cruising at a speed slower than lanes to your right. You literally had 6 people pass you in the lane immediately to your right, and 15-20 pass you in all lanes to your right in the minute of your video. If you want to drive leisurely (which is great, btw) then please move out of the passing lane.

Ah, he was mad because you were blocking the lane

Indeed. If you aren't overtaking, you shouldn't be in the leftmost general-access lane. If there's an active HOV lane in the extreme left (assuming a civilized country, not one of those weird right-hand-drive places that drive on the sinister side), the next-leftmost is now the passing lane for general traffic.

the OP is the instigator and in the wrong. The first clue is that we see six vehicles pass on the right before the truck appears, digit extended. That is clear evidence that the OP should not be in the left lane, but should have pulled over to the right, at least one lane, even before being first signaled with the truck's forward lamps. This is just simple lane discipline, regardless of the speed limit or what others may be doing, and part of the Vehicle and Traffic Law in many states.

You would be guessing incorrectly.

I'm honestly just stunned and dumbfounded at these responses. Are you guys watching his video with your eyes closed or something?

He as not driving slow in the left lane by choice. He is going as fast as the cars in front of him will allow. That is not "camping" or "sleeping" in the left lane. And it is not at all against any traffic regulations. He has absolutely no obligation in any way, shape, or form to move over.

On a high-trafficked freeway, it is not possible to reserve the left lane for passing only. Can you just imagine what would happen? 5 or 6 lanes of bumper-to-bumper traffic and a clear left lane? So everyone in the #2 lane then moves to the left (#1) lane to "pass", and it slows to bumper-to-bumper just like every other lane. Is this not obvious to you?

So at this particular moment, some of the right lanes were moving faster (a temporary condition in traffic). What would you have everyone in the left lane do? All of them immediately move over to the right to clear the "passing" lane? And then the above scenario would immediately happen as everyone who wants to go faster (which is everyone on the freeway) immediately tries to get into the left lane to pass.

On many freeways in large cities, there are left-hand exits to other freeways. Sometimes because of traffic patterns, those might stack up and you get a long line of slow-moving traffic in the left lane because of the number of cars who need to exit. Is everyone supposed to move to the right to allow the left lane for "passing", so that at the exit you simultaneously have the "exiters" crossing from #2 lane to exit, while the "passers" move from #1 to #2 to avoid the exit? That sounds safe.

I don't know how many of you don't live in a large city or have very little in-city freeway driving experience, but your notion that the left lane is supposed to be for "passing" in the OP's situation could not be more wrong. That is not how in-city freeway driving works. At rush hour traffic, all lanes are moving well under the speed limit, frequently stop-and-go. There is no such thing as a "passing" lane at that point.

TL;DR:

The truck is an A-hole, the OP did nothing wrong, and you guys need more in-city driving experience.

I'm honestly just stunned and dumbfounded at these responses. Are you guys watching his video with your eyes closed or something?

He as not driving slow in the left lane by choice. He is going as fast as the cars in front of him will allow. That is not "camping" or "sleeping" in the left lane. And it is not at all against any traffic regulations. He has absolutely no obligation in any way, shape, or form to move over.

On a high-trafficked freeway, it is not possible to reserve the left lane for passing only. Can you just imagine what would happen? 5 or 6 lanes of bumper-to-bumper traffic and a clear left lane? So everyone in the #2 lane then moves to the left (#1) lane to "pass", and it slows to bumper-to-bumper just like every other lane. Is this not obvious to you?

So at this particular moment, some of the right lanes were moving faster (a temporary condition in traffic). What would you have everyone in the left lane do? All of them immediately move over to the right to clear the "passing" lane? And then the above scenario would immediately happen as everyone who wants to go faster (which is everyone on the freeway) immediately tries to get into the left lane to pass.

On many freeways in large cities, there are left-hand exits to other freeways. Sometimes because of traffic patterns, those might stack up and you get a long line of slow-moving traffic in the left lane because of the number of cars who need to exit. Is everyone supposed to move to the right to allow the left lane for "passing", so that at the exit you simultaneously have the "exiters" crossing from #2 lane to exit, while the "passers" move from #1 to #2 to avoid the exit? That sounds safe.

I don't know how many of you don't live in a large city or have very little in-city freeway driving experience, but your notion that the left lane is supposed to be for "passing" in the OP's situation could not be more wrong. That is not how in-city freeway driving works. At rush hour traffic, all lanes are moving well under the speed limit, frequently stop-and-go. There is no such thing as a "passing" lane at that point.

TL;DR:

The truck is an A-hole, the OP did nothing wrong, and you guys need more in-city driving experience.
You're right, hundreds of thousands of miles of driving in Chicago (as well as plenty in Cali) certainly doesn't qualify me to say that you SHOULD BE FOLLOWING THE LAW.

https://www.sfgate.com/cars/article/slow-traffic-speed-passing-ticket-Indiana-Wheeles-13011835.php

TL;DR:

If I'm not overtaking, I'm not in the left lane. It's that simple. I live in the SF Bay Area, I'm plenty familiar with traffic. I'm just not a person who makes it worse.

Hah! redneck truck driver, part of my daily commute here in the armpit of America
We rednecks in my neck of the woods prefer the new politically correct term - Appalachian American - thread here on a similar event. My grandmother, would say Bless Your Heart after that.. :)

Any else getting Hillbillied ?

Unlawful Discriminatory Practices Code of Ordinances

Sec. 914-1-D1. - Discriminate.
"Discriminate" shall mean to unlawfully segregate, separate or treat individuals differently based on race, gender, age, color, religion, disability status, marital status, sexual orientation or transgender status, or ethnic, national or Appalachian regional origin.

(Ordained by Ord. No. 490-1992, eff. Nov. 25, 1992; a. Ord. No. 66-1995, eff. April 7, 1995; a. Ord. No. 65-2006, eff. April 14, 2006; a. Ord. No. 016-2015, § 3, eff. Feb. 22, 2015)

Last edited:
Reactions: TrumpetTitan

TL;DR:

I think DC qualifies... comments still stand, get out of the fast lane if you wanna play with autopilot and go 20 MPH under the lane to your right and yes the truck was an A-hole too.

Which U.S. cities were the worst? Led by Los Angeles, the ten most congested American cities, and the number of hours spent in traffic, were as follows:

1. Los Angeles – 102
  2. New York City – 91
  3. San Francisco – 79
  4. Atlanta – 70
  5. Miami – 64
  6. Washington, D.C. – 63
  7. Boston – 60
  8. Chicago – 57
  9. Seattle – 55
  10. Dallas – 54
State "keep right" laws
Source: State "keep right" laws

All states allow drivers to use the left lane (when there is more than one in the same direction) to pass. Most states restrict use of the left lane by slow-moving traffic that is not passing. The table below describes the law in effect in each state.

A few states permit use of the left lane only for passing or turning left. These have "yes" in the "keep right" column. Some states require drivers to move right if they are blocking traffic in the left lane. These have "yield" in the "keep right" column. Most states follow the Uniform Vehicle Code and require drivers to keep right if they are going slower than the normal speed of traffic (regardless of the speed limit; see below). These are listed as "slower". A few states either do not require vehicles to keep right ("no"), or permit vehicles moving at the speed limit to drive in the left lane regardless of traffic conditions ("< SL").

State "Keep Right" Laws
State Keep Right? Law Comments
Alabama Slower
32-5A-80(b)

Alaska < SL
13 AAC 002.50(b)

Arizona Slower
28-721(B)

Arkansas Other
27-51-301(b)

Law prohibits obstructing traffic by driving continuously in the left lane.
California Slower
CVC 21654(a)

The duty of slower traffic to keep right applies "notwithstanding the prima facie speed limits."
Colorado Slower 42-4-1001(2), 42-4-1103(3), 42-4-1013
The left lane is reserved for passing where the speed limit is 65 or higher. A state brochure discusses the law.

Connecticut Slower
14-230(b)

Passing on right on Interstate prohibited when only two lanes: 14-233(4)

Delaware Slower
21-4114(b)

Florida Yield
316.081(2) and (3)

Slower traffic keep right and all traffic yield left lane to traffic approaching from behind.
Georgia Yield
40-6-40(b), 40-6-184

Slower traffic keep right and (since 2014) all traffic yield left lane to traffic approaching from behind.
Hawaii Slower
291C-41(b)

Honolulu prohibits driving more than 5 MPH under the limit in the left lane. ROH 15-7.4.

Idaho Slower
49-630(2)

Illinois Yes
625 ILCS 5/11-701(b), (d)

Keep right except to pass on limited access highways since January 1, 2004.
Indiana Usually
9-21-8-2(b)

As of July 1, 2015 the left lane of a multilane highway is for passing.

Iowa Slower
321.297(2)

Kansas Yes
8-1522(c) 8-1514(b)

Keep right except to pass on rural roads since July 1, 2009.
Kentucky Yes
189.340(7)

Keep right except to pass where speed limit is at least 65.
Louisiana Yes
R.S. 32:71

On multilane highways keep right except to pass and move right if blocking overtaking traffic.
Maine Yes
29A-2052(6)

Keep right except to pass where speed limit is at least 65.
Maryland < SL
21-301

Keep right if driving 10 MPH under speed limit, or slower than speed of traffic if conditions require speed below limit
Massachusetts Yes
MGL 89-4B

Passing on right prohibited on undivided two-way road, MGL 89-2.

Michigan Maybe

Keep right except to pass except in heavy traffic or on freeways with three or more lanes.
Minnesota Slower
169.18(10)

Mississippi Slower 63-3-603(d)
Missouri Right
Montana Usually
61-8-321(2)

May also use left lane to allow traffic to merge or "when traveling at a speed greater than the traffic flow."
Nebraska Slower
60-6,131(2)

Nevada Slow
484B.627

Slow-moving vehicles must move right if "imped[ing] ... movement of traffic." Effective July 1, 2017, a vehicle in the left lane of a controlled access highway must move right when a faster vehicle approaches.
New Hampshire Slower
RSA 265:16

New Jersey Yes
39:4-88

Keep right except to pass. Passing on right prohibited unless vehicles are in "substantially continuous lines." 39:4-85.
New Mexico Slower
66-7-308(b)

New York Slower
V&TL 1120

North Carolina < SL
20-146(b),(e)

Keep right if below speed limit. Some highways are posted "slower traffic keep right."
North Dakota Slower
39-10-08(2)

Ohio < SL

Oklahoma Slower
47-11-301, 47-11-309

One law requires vehicles below the speed limit to keep right. Another requires vehicles below the normal speed of traffic to keep right.
Oregon Slower

Pennsylvania Usually 75-3313(d), 75-3301(b) May also use left lane to allow traffic to merge or "when traveling at a speed greater than the traffic flow."
Puerto Rico < SL Title 9 §5123
Rhode Island Slower
31-15-2

No passing on right on two-way street. 31-15-5.

South Carolina Slower
56-5-1810

South Dakota No
32-26-1

Only "slow moving vehicles" need to keep right.
Tennessee Slower 55-8-115(b)
Yield to faster traffic in left lane effective July 1, 2016.

Texas Slower
545.051(b)

Most rural interstates are posted "left lane for passing only" pursuant to 544.011. Passing on right prohibited except on one-way roadways.545.057.

Utah Yield
41-6a-701, 41-6a-704

Must move right to let faster traffic pass.
Vermont Slower
23-1031(b)

Virginia Yield
46.2-804(1) 46.2-842.1

Yield left lane to faster traffic on signal. State police say this applies even when faster traffic is speeding.

Washington Usually

May also use left lane to allow traffic to merge or "when traveling at a speed greater than the traffic flow."
West Virginia Slower
17C-7-1(b)

Wisconsin Slower 346.05(3)
Wyoming Slower
31-5-201(b)

Since July 1, 2005, it is illegal to obstruct traffic moving within the speed limit by driving in the left lane for a long time. 31-5-304(c)

The Uniform Vehicle Code states:

Upon all roadways any vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic ...

This law refers to the "normal" speed of traffic, not the "legal" speed of traffic. The 60 MPH driver in a 55 MPH zone where everybody else is going 65 MPH must move right. Contrast Alaska's rule, 13 AAC 002.50, allowing vehicles driving at the speed limit to use the left lane, and Colorado rev. stat. 42-4-1103, prohibiting blocking the "normal and reasonable" movement of traffic.

Enforcement is inconsistent. Toledo police used to ticket truck drivers for driving at the 60 MPH speed limit in the left lane. Police looking for criminal activity frequently use the "keep right" law as a pretext to stop a suspicious car. On the other hand, a New York judge announced that he would not convict drivers for blocking speeding traffic, People v. Ilieveski, 175 Misc. 2d 943; 670 N.Y.S.2d 1004 (Monroe County N.Y. 1998).

See also the speed law list.

Last edited:
Believe me - I hate left lane campers as much as anyone, but until police decide to enforce those keep right laws, it is not worth the paper it is written on. I'm sure some have, but have never seen a camper fined in my 51 years on this good earth. I think X that a good % of those campers choose I66 as their favorite hangout.

I don't think I'd be brave enough to use autopilot or TACC in stop and go traffic like this. Too many distracted tailgaters on the roads. At least driving myself, I can use all the space in front of me to slow down. Not that there was a ton of extra space in this video, but there was a little bit.

Anyone who thinks OP was driving in the passing lane inappropriately is an idiot, pure and simple. The passing lane doesn't work in heavy traffic, the redneck truck driver (that's a rarity!) needs to get some help or be taken out of society before he goes postal and kills somebody.

Indeed. If you aren't overtaking, you shouldn't be in the leftmost general-access lane. If there's an active HOV lane in the extreme left (assuming a civilized country, not one of those weird right-hand-drive places that drive on the sinister side), the next-leftmost is now the passing lane for general traffic.
Does not apply in traffic as you can't overtake anyone. He had cars in front of him.