TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

A perfectly boring trip to the service center

Discussion in 'Model S' started by henderrj, May 17, 2017.

1. henderrj

henderrj Member

Angie and the entire crew at the Seattle service center did what they're supposed to do - make my visit boring.

Fast, I was in and out in 10 minutes when I dropped it off (and drove away is signature red vin number 378, beautiful car). The next day they called me and had done everything: the fourth annual service (only one ever done, I bought the thing from a third party), replaced the Drive Unit, replaced 3 door handles, and a few extra things that they did that I didn't even know needed to be done. Angie advised me of some problems I should take care of. The whole thing took 10 or 15 minutes once again. In short, a perfect visit. Thanks for making it easy!

We hear so much bad here on this forum (and we should) I thought it might be good to hear something else.

• Like x 14
    • Love x 1
  2. tpham07

tpham07 Member

whoa hold up why did your drive unit need replacing haha

• Like x 2
  3. whitex

whitex Active Member

I've been a customer of the Bellevue SC (few miles away from Seattle) since 2013 and they've been consistently great.

• Like x 1
  4. somnambule

somnambule Member

My recent visit to the Sunnyvale, CA SC was also quite boring. Not only was the visit itself smooth, it was also very easy to schedule. Plus I had to reschedule my appointment the day before the appointment due to a conflict on my end, and I was able to push it out a day with no problems. And got a Tesla loaner.

Looks like the SC backlog has cleared out, at least in some places. Or maybe it's just the calm before the Model 3 Storm :)

5. whttiger25

whttiger25 Member

Drive unit replaced? That doesn't sound boring at all....

• Like x 1
  6. David29

David29 Member

I also had a boring and satisfying service visit, just today at the SC in Dedham, MA. The car went in for replacement of a faulty left rear door handle on my 2015 Model S. Took about an hour, I think, including a very nice wash. Everyone was polite, attentive, and solicitous. It was a very minor problem in the overall scheme of things (although it had become quite annoying), and was dispatched with a minimum of pain.
    It was my 3rd or 4th service visit in 19 months. All my visits at the Dedham SC have been pleasant.

7. KidDoc

KidDoc Member

The DU replacement was likely due to it being an older model and it was starting to wear down the bearings causing excessive noise. Common issue that seems to have been fixed with recent builds and rebuilds by simply using more durable bearings. I had mine done around 32k miles.

8. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

My visits to the Charlotte, NC service center have all been painfully boring.

9. JPUConn

JPUConn Member

Milford, CT service dept is top notch as well. Always above and beyond.

10. demundus

demundus Member

They replace the D/Us at the drop of a hat still. Local SCs not really equipped to open them up. This is what I was told after 3 replacements. They crate it back to corporate and let the engineers service it/refurb it, then they crate it back down for the next eventual swap in someone else's car.

11. Economite

Economite Member

Wonder how sustainable this is in the long run. Sounds like a really expensive procedure. How much will they charge for this "service" once the car is out-of-warranty? (or are the just absorbing the costs, which can't be good for longtime viability).

12. henderrj

henderrj Member

I probably should have noted that the car had never been taken to service even once anywhere before I bought it. So it's not a surprise at the old Drive Unit was indeed a problem and, yes, it was whining pretty good.

13. djinn1

djinn1 Member

Geez-my experience at the Devon PA service center has been anything but boring.

What flavor coffee will they have for me? Donuts or cookies? What new person will I meet in the lounge? A newbie or a seasoned tesla veteran? Will they turn around my tesla in the 2 hours they promised, or will it actually be an hour? How shiny will my tesla actually be? Will I rate them a 10/10, or an 11/10? Are they real human beings, or excellently programmed service bots? :)

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1