Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A perfectly boring trip to the service center

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Angie and the entire crew at the Seattle service center did what they're supposed to do - make my visit boring.

Fast, I was in and out in 10 minutes when I dropped it off (and drove away is signature red vin number 378, beautiful car). The next day they called me and had done everything: the fourth annual service (only one ever done, I bought the thing from a third party), replaced the Drive Unit, replaced 3 door handles, and a few extra things that they did that I didn't even know needed to be done. Angie advised me of some problems I should take care of. The whole thing took 10 or 15 minutes once again. In short, a perfect visit. Thanks for making it easy!

We hear so much bad here on this forum (and we should) I thought it might be good to hear something else.

My recent visit to the Sunnyvale, CA SC was also quite boring. Not only was the visit itself smooth, it was also very easy to schedule. Plus I had to reschedule my appointment the day before the appointment due to a conflict on my end, and I was able to push it out a day with no problems. And got a Tesla loaner.

Looks like the SC backlog has cleared out, at least in some places. Or maybe it's just the calm before the Model 3 Storm :)

Angie and the entire crew at the Seattle service center did what they're supposed to do - make my visit boring.

Fast, I was in and out in 10 minutes when I dropped it off (and drove away is signature red vin number 378, beautiful car). The next day they called me and had done everything: the fourth annual service (only one ever done, I bought the thing from a third party), replaced the Drive Unit, replaced 3 door handles, and a few extra things that they did that I didn't even know needed to be done. Angie advised me of some problems I should take care of. The whole thing took 10 or 15 minutes once again. In short, a perfect visit. Thanks for making it easy!

We hear so much bad here on this forum (and we should) I thought it might be good to hear something else.
Drive unit replaced? That doesn't sound boring at all....

Reactions: gowthamn
I also had a boring and satisfying service visit, just today at the SC in Dedham, MA. The car went in for replacement of a faulty left rear door handle on my 2015 Model S. Took about an hour, I think, including a very nice wash. Everyone was polite, attentive, and solicitous. It was a very minor problem in the overall scheme of things (although it had become quite annoying), and was dispatched with a minimum of pain.
It was my 3rd or 4th service visit in 19 months. All my visits at the Dedham SC have been pleasant.

The DU replacement was likely due to it being an older model and it was starting to wear down the bearings causing excessive noise. Common issue that seems to have been fixed with recent builds and rebuilds by simply using more durable bearings. I had mine done around 32k miles.

They replace the D/Us at the drop of a hat still. Local SCs not really equipped to open them up. This is what I was told after 3 replacements. They crate it back to corporate and let the engineers service it/refurb it, then they crate it back down for the next eventual swap in someone else's car.

Wonder how sustainable this is in the long run. Sounds like a really expensive procedure. How much will they charge for this "service" once the car is out-of-warranty? (or are the just absorbing the costs, which can't be good for longtime viability).

Geez-my experience at the Devon PA service center has been anything but boring.

What flavor coffee will they have for me? Donuts or cookies? What new person will I meet in the lounge? A newbie or a seasoned tesla veteran? Will they turn around my tesla in the 2 hours they promised, or will it actually be an hour? How shiny will my tesla actually be? Will I rate them a 10/10, or an 11/10? Are they real human beings, or excellently programmed service bots? :)