Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A record? Max Supercharger: +275 mph!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cool, and all, but I want to know is this: how does that rate taper down as the battery approaches full? Anyone got a graph or a screen shot of this? 300 mph implies an empty 85 kWh battery will be full in about an hour, but I know from experience with other EVS that the charging rate tapers off greatly during the last 25% or so.

I've been linking relevant info, including this thread and Cinergi's graph on the wiki here, but it's evident that the graph is now out of date.

It would be useful if people posted their software version alongside these rate reports, as the rate profile is almost certainly set by the car rather than the supercharger itself (though the supercharger obviously limits the maximum rate).

Interesting comment about the rate being "according to how you drive". I assume that poster does NOT mean that the display is accounting for that in what #'s it reports, but rather that if you are consuming more KW/hr than the "rated" or "ideal" projections, than you have to adjust your expectations accordingly?

If so, then while that's certainly true, I think the intent of the OP was to compare what the individual Supercharging stations are able to output in power.. not what you do after you get in and drive it.

Given the differences in ideal vs. rated range, I agree showing the numbers in KW is probably the most direct comparison. I didn't think to do that yesterday when I Supercharged for the first time (twice). I was seeing ~286 miles/hr (rated) at the Delaware station, with no other cars in the bay....

(Does anybody even use "ideal" miles?)

It was in fact based on your driving.
It's been fixed -- but I'm not sure which version fixed it.
Ahh...this might explain how I saw 31 mph rated recharge rate the first night after we had our 14-50 installed, but each time after that it never got above 28. We received the car with firmware 4.4, but within a few days of seeing the unicorn-like 31 mph charge rate from our 14-50 we got upgraded to 4.5.

So I would postulate that 4.4 based the recharge rate on our actual driving profile (which has been pretty close to 280 Wh/m) and 4.5 bases it on the "standard" or "typical" 308 Wh/m usage rate, as that difference would almost perfectly match the difference between computing the recharge rate from our 280 Wh/m versus 308 Wh/m. Not entirely sure if that's actually the case, but the math certainly fits my observations...

at Hawthorne a couple weeks ago..
8agy3ubu.jpg
Keep in mind that integer rounding makes this more complicated to compare apparently. If you multiple the display V*A for John's screenshot vs. mine, mine ends up higher. If you look at the by-distance rate reported his is higher.

HawthorneRateByEnergy.png

HawthorneRateByDistance.png

Approximate time for photos:
7/11/2013 5:31:35 AM

Interesting. I'll try it out. On Sunday I unplugged from one SuperCharger (which was showing kW) and I just plugged into another and it was showing mi/h. I definitely didn't change any settings in between, but I'll go see if it changed by itself for some reason.

Probably the same gremlin that vented my sunroof of it's own accord while I was driving the other day.

:)