Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A sad cautionary tale of poor judgement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm very sorry to hear about this, but thank you so much for this post. Most people would be (understandably) very self-centered at a time like this, and I'm moved that you're thinking of others in such a way at this time. I hope your recovery, both mentally and physically, is as swift as possible, and that getting another Tesla is affordable and also swift.

I've been wondering what my personal "policy" will be with letting others drive my car: on the one hand I'd love to share the joy of it, and on the other the fear of this sort of thing lurks in the back of my mind. Any close friends will get to, but I think knowing this sort of thing has happened will definitely lead to significantly more caution on my part regarding people outside my friends & neighbors I know well.

Again, best wishes with moving beyond this and getting back on track!

Daniel: Insanity. Thank you for sharing this experience.
Guy's name was Henrick Fisker, right? Heard he has moved on to landscaping.
Seriously, so glad you are all okay.
1. Everyone underestimates the power of this car. On my test drive, I almost slammed into a BMW M5 that decided to drag race while we entered a highway on-ramp (sorry Jeff Liou!). While this guy is an idiot, I can just imagine him not really believing the car can put up those Newton/M squared.
2. Nothing more fun than seeing that look of thrill on peoples' faces as they drive my car. I am sure I have let nearly 100 (really) people drive it. Other people drove my car further the first day I got it than I did.
3. Not feeling so good about that now. Will be referring many to Tesla's Test-Drive events... Will share the car still with those who "get it" and are not casual acquaintances.
4. My 17 year old daughter has logged about a thousand miles on it. Hearing how all were okay and air bags deployed, I feel even better about her driving a Model S.
5. Sounds like a rotator cuff injury, common injury in bracing oneself with a crash or fall. If you need a Boston Orthopod, happy to connect you.

God speed. Without the speed.

Daniel: Insanity. Thank you for sharing this experience.
Guy's name was Henrick Fisker, right? Heard he has moved on to landscaping.
Seriously, so glad you are all okay.
1. Everyone underestimates the power of this car. On my test drive, I almost slammed into a BMW M5 that decided to drag race while we entered a highway on-ramp (sorry Jeff Liou!). While this guy is an idiot, I can just imagine him not really believing the car can put up those Newton/M squared.
2. Nothing more fun than seeing that look of thrill on peoples' faces as they drive my car. I am sure I have let nearly 100 (really) people drive it. Other people drove my car further the first day I got it than I did.
3. Not feeling so good about that now. Will be referring many to Tesla's Test-Drive events... Will share the car still with those who "get it" and are not casual acquaintances.
4. My 17 year old daughter has logged about a thousand miles on it. Hearing how all were okay and air bags deployed, I feel even better about her driving a Model S.
5. Sounds like a rotator cuff injury, common injury in bracing oneself with a crash or fall. If you need a Boston Orthopod, happy to connect you.

God speed. Without the speed.
Good summary.

I'm happy to let real friends drive it. Most treat the car fairly gingerly. The one who didn't asked me first and understood the dynamics of a 2 1/2 ton car that can do 0-60 sub-4 seconds. In any event, he could have stroked off a check for a new one, had he trashed it.

I don't think I could ever be talked into letting an acquaintance drive the car and I think the referral to the Tesla drive events is good counsel.

Yeah that's why I also won't use the Tesla valet service for the same reasons.

I think you meant to say valet service in general, right? There's no evidence that the Tesla valet service takes any car on joy rides. While I've refused to use valet services in general (at least not until the valet mode is available), the Tesla valet service is the ONLY valet service I would trust my car to.

Thank you for the cautionary tale.

I have minor story also, there was one person I let drive my roadster, I had an experimental battery connected up at the time. I told him to keep it under 40 AMPs, but I guessing he thought I said 40 MPH. Well my battery was only rated at 150 AMPs, and when he gave it full power, it caused my battery safety circuits to pop and a car stuck without power. Lucky I was only a few blocks away from home and had spare battery to get it back running.

I think some people get too excited and forget warnings, it was partially my fault as I should have put the Roadster into valet mode.

Anyways Tesla should put valet mode in the Model S asap.

Thats crazy and sad. I'd definitely fire the landscaper and get someone who has better judgement.

I don't let people test drive my car. I let my wife drive it. Once.

I'm happy to give demo rides but thats about it. Tesla is more than willing to let you drive one if you just drop by the store.

I think you meant to say valet service in general, right? There's no evidence that the Tesla valet service takes any car on joy rides. While I've refused to use valet services in general (at least not until the valet mode is available), the Tesla valet service is the ONLY valet service I would trust my car to.

I can't speak for yobigd20, but I don't even like Tesla valet service driving the car. I am absolutely positive that they would be as careful as I am (or even more so) but accidents do happen. Even something simple like parking in a tight spot where someone is likely to ding the door (something I avoid at all costs). Also, where I live, it is the owner's insurance that has to cover any damages and that ends up getting reflected in the owner's premiums, even if the valet or guest driver is 100% at fault.

I certainly wouldn't have the presence of mind in this situation to get out my phone, open an app, enter the appropriate password, etc. I'm not sure I'd have the presence of mind to do anything other than shout.

Daniel's story has continued to haunt me, though, so I've been thinking about what an astonishingly cool-headed individual could do. If sitting in the passenger seat, one could:
  • Flick the RND/P transmission lever, putting the car into Neutral
  • Press in the tip of the RND/P transmission lever, putting the car into Park (not sure how the Model S deals with applying the parking brake at speed)
  • On the touchscreen, Touch Controls > E-Brake & Power Off > Power Off
To be clear, I'm not saying that Daniel should have thought to have done any of these; I certainly would not have, in the panic of the moment. Moreover, a determined idiot could simply put the car back into gear or turned it back on, so at best these are a "get your attention" set of actions.

Since this had not been clarified, regardless of if the car is in neutral, drive or reverse if it is going more than 5 MPH holding in the (P) on the stick will activate the Emergency Brakes which I believe would be the same as your parking brake (the smaller calipers on the back wheels). This is the same for the on screen option. It actively changes from "Power Off" to "Emergency Break" on the screen.

So the easiest thing to do, would be to have that button on the screen at the ready, and warn anyone you let test drive that if you don't listen or drive recklessly then I will hit this big red button and eject you from the car.

Alternatively just give them a test ride to the nearest store and have them do a test drive there :D

I agree with the sentiment about not letting people drive my car. I am very protective of it. Outside of Tesla and my Detailer (who has a 2M$ insurance policy) only one person has driven my car and that was my brother during a long road trip in order to allow me to rest a bit before taking over again.

Just curious - what tires did you have? 19" Goodyear or Michelins? 21" cont's or Michelins? How was the weather? Dry? Wet? Just wondering what it was that caused the car to lose traction. Frankly I wouldn't be surprised if you have the goodyears.

Any valet service. I won't let anyone drive the car, period. Not even my wife. Nor the Mr Tire guy when I was upgrading to aftermarket wheels/tires. I personally pulled it into the bay and raised suspension and jack mode and when they were done I backed it out.

Obviously garage valets can't be trusted, especially NYC ones (particularly when it comes to parking, since they bump cars together intentionally to cram them in). But even Tesla valet. There's been one case of a wreck that I know of when a tesla person smashed a customers car into the concrete median. So I won't use them either. That probably wasn't a joy ride or anything like that but rather just a bad driver.

Wow, some of you guys are pretty hard core: you don't let your spouse drive your S?

I happily let friends and neighbors I know well and feel to be responsible adults drive our S (it's technically my wife's car but I drive it a lot!) and have had no problems. I do not let strangers or people I do not know well drive it. I would trust anyone from Tesla service or sales to drive it.

Of course before letting them engage "D" I carefully explain the key differences they as a driver need to know: the braking that occurs when you back off on the go pedal, the lack of "creep" when I gear (I never turn Creep on) and the unusual placement of the turn signal stalk. After that they are good to go.

I believe you have to drive a Tesla to understand why the car is such a revolution in motoring. Just sitting in the passenger seat all you feel is that it is a big, comfortable, smooth, quiet car with a big screen. Cool, but not revolutionary.

For me I think it comes down to this is the most expensive car I have ever owned by a long shot... My first car was a 5,000$ beater. My second car was a brand new el-cheapo 16,000$ Civic (I sprung for nothing on it... manual, LX trim... The only thing I insisted since it was new, was my choice in color.) Then I made the huge leap to a 96,000$ car. So yeah, I am a little protective of it. I think as time wears on, I will be a little less so. But even if I start letting people drive it, it would only be very close friends and family.

Nor the Mr Tire guy . . . [YobigD20]

I always deliver the rims to Discount Tire* and then pick them up with the new rubber mounted. No way is anyone other than Tesla driving this car!

Assuming she could allow it, would you ask a State Trooper if you could drive her SuperCharged Camaro??

* [edit] Discount Tire are good guys and know Teslas. Even so . . .
--

Last edited:
What is it about Teslas that inspires people who are not professional drivers to "see what it can do" in totally inappropriate circumstances? I'm thinking of the guy doing 100 mph down an LA street with traffic lights, etc. Or the valets we all worry about joy riding, or the body shop staff, or other folks who come upon a chance to try one out. Clearly the car has a reputation for being very fast and powerful, especially in acceleration. I like to say there are no acceleration limit signs on the highway, so there's no problem with matting it off the line. But the car accelerates so fast that it's difficult to know when to back off and one can quickly get in trouble. My brother in law hit it a couple of times and said "This is stupid fast; I'd get a ticket every day if I drove it." But he was smart enough not to overdo it.

Could it be that the lack of engine noise gives folks a false sense of security and fails to alert them to the rate at which they are traveling?

Nor the Mr Tire guy . . . [YobigD20]

I always deliver the rims to Discount Tire and then pick them up with the new rubber mounted. No way is anyone other than Tesla driving this car!

Assuming she could allow it, would you ask a State Trooper if you could drive her SuperCharged Camaro??
--

I've pulled my car in and out (and put in Jack Mode) at Discount Tire every time I've been there. They had no issues, I also watched while they jacked the car to make sure they didn't put any pressure on the battery.

My wife hasn't driven my Model S not because I won't let her, but because she doesn't want to. I think she is a little intimidated by its power and she is afraid of trying to back it out of our garage. There is 1 inch of clearance on each side of the car. She broke a mirror off of one of her cars in the past (that had 6 inches to spare on each side).

Back on topic, I've only let 1 friend drive my car, but we've been letting each other try out our various sports cars for several years.

Precisely why a Valet Mode needs to be programmed into a future software update. The Model-S is a heavy rear wheel drive vehicle with a lot of torque and zero throttle lag found in ICE cars. Even after being told how much power the vehicle has there's a mindset that must be broken. Noise = power is what's been engrained into most people all their lives. For the moment I'll allow people I know to test drive my Volt to get a feel for the difference. To lose control of a Volt requires a special breed of stupid though. When the S comes I highly doubt anyone except close relatives and family members will be granted access unless some sort of on-demand limiting control is introduced.

DEinspanjer,

Thank you for recounting this episode to us. It takes a certain kind of courage to tell us this kind of story.

Ah, only 02/20 hindsight can show us those who succumb to Tesla's siren call of vast horsepower at one's fingertips, requiring a measure of restraint that only comes with experience.

I cannot cast the first stone at your landscaper -- I, too, have fallen victim to the lure of the raw torque available in an electric car from the get-go. Even worse, I still do, from time to time. The acceleration can be extremely addictive. "Accelerator crack," if you will. Have I been foolish? Yes. Do I speed? I'll take the fifth. Do I think myself reckless? Hard to say. Perhaps more like lucky. We all think we are Formula 1 drivers right up until the metal starts bending.

Luckily for me, the cravings are fading, and I am beginning to value my car's silent economy more than I do its zero-to-sixty acceleration times. And I hope I have gotten it out of my system before anything occurs that might end up in the newspaper.

Do I let others drive my car? It doesn't matter whether I do or don't. If I say I do, then I may come off as sounding like I'm better judge of character. If I say I never let anyone touch my car, I may come off as sounding holier than thou. And I'm not. I'm just a guy who is a convert to driving electric, and a guy who isn't too shy to preach upon the goodness of electric vehicles, and a guy who is a bit of a show-off, too.

Sorry about your pride and joy, but its now an "opportunity" to get a better one.

Get well soon,

-- Ardie