Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Step in the Wrong Direction: AP 2.0 Hardware (for now...)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My question is will A1.0 be able to learn from the advanced suite installed in cars w/A.2.0? My wet dream is that considering the roads are the same & the cars are traveling many of the same roads will Tesla share the fleet learning between the 2 versions? It would be dope if the A1.0 slow kids could cheat off the test of the A2.0 kids to better negotiate turns and roads.

I'm sure there were arguments at Tesla on how to best migrate to AP 2.0

If you don't release the new hardware till the software is on par you end up continuing to ship hardware where the manufacture of the hardware claims the software exceeds what the hardware was meant to do. It's also risky in terms of the supply chain, and how long you can continue receiving the old hardware. The relationship with the supplier is strained, and every day of using their parts is another day of pain.

If you do release the hardware before the software is ready you're going to be met with a lot of resistance, and if it's late the customers are going to be increasingly livid. It's also a bit risky because in the previous hardware you were using things proven out (TACC, AEB, etc), but with the new hardware it's mostly if not all in-house code. I'm sure they've had people working on for quite awhile, but it's a tough task. If they do ship by Dec 2016 with performance on par with AP 1.0 then all the coders deserve fat bonuses because that would be pretty monumental.

When given those two choices I think it's pretty easy to predict the one Elon Musk picked. It's extremely daring, but at the same time it makes sense to cut-ties with legacy stuff as soon as you can especially if your vision is for so much more than what it can do. Plus if you're Tesla or Apple you can likely get away with it because the user base is so extremely loyal.

My opinion is Tesla made the right call on moving to the Tesla vision hardware so quickly, and I believe the price for the $5K package is correct for what it is.

I'm not in particular agreement with the other $3K software package though because that's stretching things way too much. It could be one of the most important moments in Automotive history though.

They may not have had as much choice as you're suggesting. We all know that the weren't going to renew the Mobileye contract given the terms offered.

It didn't really occur to me until after this announcement, but this is almost exactly two years from the first Mobileye deliveries; if they had typical annual contacts, the second one probably ended at the end of September.

I suspect that the reason they launched the new hardware without the developed neural net is that they ran out of time because of the Mobileye split.

Reactions: yak-55
Tesla states that it will still update AP1.0 vehicles in the future, think of it as an Apple phone, you buy the latest and greatest iphone 7 and you get all the features (AP2.0) you buy an iphone 5 you still get ios 10 but with less capability, some features will be missing but it still better than a phone exploding in your ear (ICE vehicle) :rolleyes:

My question is will A1.0 be able to learn from the advanced suite installed in cars w/A.2.0? My wet dream is that considering the roads are the same & the cars are traveling many of the same roads will Tesla share the fleet learning between the 2 versions? It would be dope if the A1.0 slow kids could cheat off the test of the A2.0 kids to better negotiate turns and roads.
They could certainly use the data to improve mapping/nav and such. As far as the neural net, probably not.

Tesla states that it will still update AP1.0 vehicles in the future, think of it as an Apple phone, you buy the latest and greatest iphone 7 and you get all the features (AP2.0) you buy an iphone 5 you still get ios 10 but with less capability, some features will be missing but it still better than a phone exploding in your ear (ICE vehicle) :rolleyes:

A better example would be Apple's transition from PowerPC to Intel in 2005 - fundamentally different architecture and different code.

Apple addressed it by keeping separate builds for each processor for the next few major OS X releases with similar functionality, then they sunsetted the PowerPC systems and left them stuck on Leopard (as I recall - I never owned a pre Intel Mac.)

Since we're only talking about the AP systems rather than the car as a whole, I imagine we'll keep seeing upgrades to the cars, but I suspect that in the next couple years they'll more or less stop updating AP1 (unless new rules or standards come along like a car to car communication system for autonomous driving.)

Elon time is generally longer than real time.

Sorta like that planet in the movie Interstellar. :p
56744827.jpg

AP 1.0 has limitations in sensors and processing, so while Tesla is committed to providing software updates, it's likely the functionality will plateau in the next year, and after that AP 1.0 updates will mostly be bug fixes. Which is OK, 8.1 is supposed to achieve the originally announced functionality for AP 1.0 - allowing AP to drive from on ramp to off ramp.

We're planning to buy a second Model S to replace my "classic" P85 (VIN 3xxx, 75K miles). We've been waiting for two major features before placing our order. AP 2.0 was one, though we hadn't anticipated Tesla would claim AP 2.0 would (eventually) be able to support self driving. While there will likely be an AP 3.0 several years from now, if self driving works on AP 2.0, then 3.0 would more likely be refinement and cost reductions, and not providing much (if any) new functionality.

The other major feature is a 100D model, which should provide us 20 to 30% more range than our P85. And since the supercharger network is designed so 60 or 75's can (barely) use the network for long distance driving, the 100D would likely ensure we could make every leg between chargers at full highway speeds, and keep charging between 10-80%, at the fastest rates.

With the longer range of the 100D and the self driving features of the new AP, that may be enough for us to keep our next Model S for a very, very long time...

Reactions: GSP
AP 1.0 has limitations in sensors and processing, so while Tesla is committed to providing software updates, it's likely the functionality will plateau in the next year, and after that AP 1.0 updates will mostly be bug fixes. Which is OK, 8.1 is supposed to achieve the originally announced functionality for AP 1.0 - allowing AP to drive from on ramp to off ramp.

We're planning to buy a second Model S to replace my "classic" P85 (VIN 3xxx, 75K miles). We've been waiting for two major features before placing our order. AP 2.0 was one, though we hadn't anticipated Tesla would claim AP 2.0 would (eventually) be able to support self driving. While there will likely be an AP 3.0 several years from now, if self driving works on AP 2.0, then 3.0 would more likely be refinement and cost reductions, and not providing much (if any) new functionality.

The other major feature is a 100D model, which should provide us 20 to 30% more range than our P85. And since the supercharger network is designed so 60 or 75's can (barely) use the network for long distance driving, the 100D would likely ensure we could make every leg between chargers at full highway speeds, and keep charging between 10-80%, at the fastest rates.

With the longer range of the 100D and the self driving features of the new AP, that may be enough for us to keep our next Model S for a very, very long time...

I am in the same boat. Range is the most important factor for me. If they come out with a 100D, that would make me want to upgrade in a heart beat.

A better example would be Apple's transition from PowerPC to Intel in 2005 - fundamentally different architecture and different code.

Apple addressed it by keeping separate builds for each processor for the next few major OS X releases with similar functionality, then they sunsetted the PowerPC systems and left them stuck on Leopard (as I recall - I never owned a pre Intel Mac.)

Since we're only talking about the AP systems rather than the car as a whole, I imagine we'll keep seeing upgrades to the cars, but I suspect that in the next couple years they'll more or less stop updating AP1 (unless new rules or standards come along like a car to car communication system for autonomous driving.)
Apple actually made that transition twice, once to PowerPC and then again to Intel X86. I owned computers on all sides of those transitions and they were both remarkably smooth. Sure there was some issues in those gray zones where you could get a fat binary app that would install one version or the other based on your hardware, but it was generally pretty seamless. Of course the older hardware would get gradually deprecated, just like it will for Teslas. 3 or 4 years from now the AP2 suite will probably be insufficient for new features and people will complain about it then too.

I'm sure there were arguments at Tesla on how to best migrate to AP 2.0

your vision is for so much more than what it can do. Plus if you're Tesla ... you can likely get away with it because the user base is so extremely loyal.
PLUS Tesla vehicles are probably the safest, quickest, cheapest to operate vehicles sold. I know there are some repeat buyers (user base) but the majority are first time buyers, right?

Build the best, and they will buy (if they want and can afford it).