Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A yoke or a joke?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've constantly paid attention to where my hands are on the wheel since the yoke was announced. My hands are constantly on the top half of the wheel. Especially when turning and making 3-point turns. I've tried a few times to pretend the top was gone and was so unnatural for my driving style. No to mention, stumbling to turn the wheel with only half of it. Yoke is different, Elon loves different, but not practical and whether it's unsafe or not is not for me to decide. It's certainly not as safe as a full wheel, that much I can say. Taking away half of the real estate on the wheel in no way could make it more safe.

Between that and having to use the screen to shift, not a chance I'll be buying a new one. I actually saw a new one on the road today. Wasn't able to get in front of it to see the front end. But from the rear and side, couldn't tell a difference between my 2019. I know there are subtle changes, but I wasn't able to spot them, despite having owned a Model S for going on 9 years now. Was already likely out the door as I'm simply ready to look at something new after 9 years. The fact that the Model S went the way of the Model 3 with all controls on the screen simply cemented the chance of me not buying one. Add that to the yoke and shifter, and the cement has been dropped to the bottom of the ocean. I love my current car, but unless something changes back in the "driver friendly" direction, this one will sadly be my last.

I’m no fan of the yoke, but the new Model S looks so much better than the old it’s hilarious. The awesome new rear diffuser, the built up front and rear fenders etc. It finally looks complete.

I’m no fan of the yoke, but the new Model S looks so much better than the old it’s hilarious. The awesome new rear diffuser, the built up front and rear fenders etc. It finally looks complete.

I saw the new one only once and the only thing that really stood out were the foglights.. in the wild the rest doesn't seem all that different to me. Need to take a closer look when one is parked beside a classic S..

I've constantly paid attention to where my hands are on the wheel since the yoke was announced. My hands are constantly on the top half of the wheel. Especially when turning and making 3-point turns. I've tried a few times to pretend the top was gone and was so unnatural for my driving style.
You just may have a suboptimal driving technique. Optimal driving techniques put your hands at 9 to 3, turn about 100º each direction and then take over with the bottom hand to grip the bottom om the steering wheel, which is at the top at that moment. Turn it back, and your hands go back to 9-to-3 with your steering wheel straight.

• Funny
Reactions: smogne41
Now, remind us please, how many 3 point turns are there in an F1 course? How about how well do F1 cars do in everyday city traffic? Final question, how many F1 cars are street legal, for every day commutes?
exactly, so many people want the yoke no matter how stupid it is, so they say.. oh. f-1 cars have it…..so it must be good.

exactly, so many people want the yoke no matter how stupid it is, so they say.. oh. f-1 cars have it…..so it must be good.
I want the yoke because I don't think it will be much of an issue, but it has a wider base so it's easier to hold on to while driving on autopilot.

WhatsApp Image 2021-01-28 at 11.27.24.jpeg

Reactions: ahoen117
I want the yoke because I don't think it will be much of an issue, but it has a wider base so it's easier to hold on to while driving on autopilot.

View attachment 684077
The Model S has a perfect steering wheel already. Looks great, feel great, perfect size and thickness. No need to change perfection.
handles well in tight turns, in the mountains where your hands are working hard to control the car. No need to screw it up.

The Model S has a perfect steering wheel already. Looks great, feel great, perfect size and thickness. No need to change perfection.
handles well in tight turns, in the mountains where your hands are working hard to control the car. No need to screw it up.
I like the Model 3 wheel better, having had both. The model S wheel seems too large. Though, I appreciated the three stalks on the S wheel over the two on the 3 wheel. But, I got used to the AP controls on the wheel in the 3 over time.

• Informative
Reactions: MagnusMako
I have a Plaid (three weeks old) so I'll chime in with my two cents... I'm not a fan of the yoke. As mentioned earlier, it's hard to use the turn signals without looking at the wheel. I also was recently cut off on the interstate.. try finding the horn while you're braking hard and screaming at the car in front of you... I just slammed both hands on the wheel and was lucky to hit the horn.
The hand-over-hand turning is annoying, but you get used to it.
Also, you can't drive with your knees anymore! (but maybe that's a good thing).
Steering wheel aside, the car is amazing... I had a 2016 S P100D with Ludicrous and the Plaid is way, way faster (going from 50 to 80 is insane). I haven't put it in drag strip mode to test the 0-60, and I honestly don't see myself ever doing that (unless I take it to a track). My Ludicrous speed Tesla was crazy fast from 0-60 and I can't imagine wanting to go faster than that.
Lastly - I got mine wrapped (turning my midnight silver metallic into a matte finish). The new sensors cannot be covered, so they had remove the wrap from the 12 dime sized sensors (this was not an issue with the older Telsas).

Can it at least be ordered without the yoke and with a regular steering wheel as an option? If not, I guess that an aftermarket modification would be possible, but who want to pay extra for a steering wheel for an already expensive new car?

Last edited:
Reactions: Wol747
I have the refreshed S with the yoke. Turns are a non issue that many (who don’t have and/or haven’t even driven the car, are griping about needlessly as it is truly not a problem in use.

45 degree, 90 or 180 aren’t problems, at all.

Moreover, it’s super enjoyable to hold/feels good and natural in your hands, is awesome at higher speeds and frees up viewing area in front of the steering (that used to block the screens). The turn indicator controls are super conveniently located and once you become familiar are preferable to turn stocks and zero problem in use.

Indeed. What annoys me when I'm driving long distances on autopilot, is that the CC and indicator stalks are not visible from my viewpoint, and my resting hand needs to travel a large distance to activate them. I can imagine that driving with the yoke on autopilot will feel natural, and is the biggest reason for the change.

People are buying the S with a yoke. They're driving around with it and making turns, parking, ...etc... it takes time to get used to and they will.

The yoke FUD is much like how the M3 didn't come with a instrument panel and only came with the single nav panel. Lots of anonymous nicks were crowing about how the M3 would be a complete flop and it was the opposite. People drove it and adapted quickly. MY has the same format and is also selling very well.