Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About time to unveil the D and something else

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Straight line traction perhaps, but some of us like to go around corners. :)

- - - Updated - - -

It will be interesting to see if a P85D has a little more endurance at the track the the vanilla P85. I suspect it might, but I won't be surprised if it doesn't.

The theory being that having two motors would allow each to work less hard and cut down on heat buildup?

I think it's at Hawthorne airport because that's where the Tesla design studio is at. I wouldn't read more into it than that.

It's just a location where they've done other events. That's it.

Just like the Apple announcements and events (and really, the internet in general), people look for meaning in places there is none intended or implied (like the garage door being half open -- it's just an ad, people.. doesn't actually MEAN anything!).

And if by some chance they *do* mention "auto-pilot" it won't have anything to do with the fact that they are at an airport. it's just a coincidence.

I think many of us have to think that the Dual Motor is the D. The something else I hope is to be the X Beta with some type of auto drive features.

One can be sure of something. Marketing is wonderful when Elon can just blow up twitter with no $ being spent.

Word of mouth and an excellent product lead to loyalty, and lets be honest we are all just kids waiting for his/her Christmas present under the tree.

My X reservation is in the 12k range, and I will wait for the Youtube version of the event, as I was not invited. Plus think of the Carbon offset I would have to purchase to justify the trip. :smile:

I think many of us have to think that the Dual Motor is the D. The something else I hope is to be the X Beta with some type of auto drive features.

One can be sure of something. Marketing is wonderful when Elon can just blow up twitter with no $ being spent.

Word of mouth and an excellent product lead to loyalty, and lets be honest we are all just kids waiting for his/her Christmas present under the tree.

My X reservation is in the 12k range, and I will wait for the Youtube version of the event, as I was not invited. Plus think of the Carbon offset I would have to purchase to justify the trip. :smile:

I am not invited either but I am in Europe...... but I have a roadster, an S and sig #4 for the X......... So don't be to disappointed....... But I agree D is for Dual motor and the other bit is probably a larger battery in my opinion. I think the X will get its own reveal in a month or two

I think it's at Hawthorne airport because that's where the Tesla design studio is at. I wouldn't read more into it than that.

Yeah I thought about that also. The only thing that leaves me to believe there might be more to it is because of the photo earlier in the thread that shows the P85D at another airport. Assuming that the car was there for some kind of promotional photo shoot. But then again I know not to bet against Bonnie.... :smile:

I am not invited either but I am in Europe...... but I have a roadster, an S and sig #4 for the X......... So don't be to disappointed....... But I agree D is for Dual motor and the other bit is probably a larger battery in my opinion. I think the X will get its own reveal in a month or two

No slight taken on the invite. Tesla has all its reasons and algorithms. I find this D stuff amusing and a lesson in marketing. I view cars as transportation, and maybe a bit of art so the hoopla means little to me. So the X will be here when it gets here.

When it does I will be just as happy as the day I put down the reservation.

Yeah I thought about that also. The only thing that leaves me to believe there might be more to it is because of the photo earlier in the thread that shows the P85D at another airport. Assuming that the car was there for some kind of promotional photo shoot. But then again I know not to bet against Bonnie.... :smile:

At other Tesla events I attended, there were videos playing in the background showing off whatever was being introduced.

Yes, but bear in mind that past Tesla events have actually been at the Design Studio (like the battery swap demo), so it is significant that this unveiling is at the airport instead. Maybe they have an autonomous vehicle course set up? Maybe they plan on having lots more people there? Maybe Elon will make his grand entrance from space in his Dragon spacecraft? :)

Yes, but bear in mind that past Tesla events have actually been at the Design Studio (like the battery swap demo), so it is significant that this unveiling is at the airport instead. Maybe they have an autonomous vehicle course set up? Maybe they plan on having lots more people there? Maybe Elon will make his grand entrance from space in his Dragon spacecraft? :)

Where exactly did Tesla say this was happening at the Hawthorne airport? My invite said Tesla Design Center. That is next to airport but not same thing.

Where exactly did Tesla say this was happening at the Hawthorne airport? My invite said Tesla Design Center. That is next to airport but not same thing.

hawth.png

As I pulled in to the Hawthorne supercharger this morning, I got stuck behind two trucks carrying what looked a lot like portable diesel generators, going into the design center. Hopefully there will be plenty of charging available on Thursday.

I was just wondering if any locals had been there to charge and noticed any preparations. Thanks for that! What will be really interesting is to have a look at the airport area and see if any tents are going up, etc. I suppose that might have to be last minute though, not to interfere with flight operations.

Do we know if all currently in production Model S's have the new sensors included, or is the process somehow selective?

I don't know anything. However, on the thread about lane keeping and speed select, someone posted that they visited the factory a few days ago and that every car they saw there had the full sensor set. I'm thinking autopilot magic is about to become standard on all Model S's. The early word is it isn't upgradeable into existing cars, but I'm not sure that's the end of the story.
Walter