Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About time to unveil the D and something else

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My money is on D = Driver Assist, since they are already known to be adding the features to cars coming off the line but haven't made a major announcement. The start of implementing autopilot is a pretty big deal and they will likely be able to roll out other features as software upgrades once the sensor set is in place.

The something else would be the production Model X, actually a bigger reveal and in keeping with the the Steve Jobs "Just one more thing" tradition of the big reveal as an afterthought.

i just find it crazy to be announcing AWD for Model S at just the moment Model X should be in the spotlight, when Model X big new feature is AWD. It makes no sense to not give Model X at least some exclusivity for that without being upstaged.

i'd also expect a few "D" jokes to open the presentation since the golden gaff of how Elon tweeted it will have amp'd up the publicity.

It could be a Deluxe version of a Model S with a longer wheelbase. That would allow for a larger battery pack, and more leg room for those Chinese who want to sit in the back while a chauffeur drives.

I vote for this. It can have the center console, coat hooks, driver assist, ventilated seats, visors, and the interior fit and finish of an S-Class that some people complain the Model S lacks. This would be a high margin vehicle that would be huge in China and take away the last edge that the high-end German cars can claim.

Since the D is in the same font as the P in Performance, it's gotta be more of an overall abstract concept as opposed to specifically "dual motors" or "drive assist". I would also think they would not make a big deal about adding features that plenty of other cars already have like driver assist.

I'm thinking D = Dual Motor and the "something else" is the driver assist features.

I have to say, I'm excited. I've been waiting for this announcement for months. So long, in fact, that I reserved a Model X, just in case the announcement never came.

But if it only has four seats, I'll have to go for the Model X.

- - - Updated - - -

Or maybe, the "something else" is the high-end version of the D, the "DP" (heh). Hopefully, only this version has four seats, whereas the standard D is set up similarly to the standard Model S.

D for Deluxe as a contrary to P for performance. Probably a 4 seater S with a more luxury interior and a LONGER wheelbase notably for the Chinese market. considering that AUDI and BMW produce the A6 and 5-series respectively in L=Long version. Where normally in other markets L is only on A8 and 7-series respectively.........

So my take a longer version with a luxurious interior