Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About time to unveil the D and something else

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"D" stands for "Dude"

Yes, some have speculated a longer car for the Chinese market ... but a car that includes "The Dude" as chauffeur.

The_Dude.jpeg

I wouldn't be surprised if they pulled out the Model 3, but one would think that would be done at their headquarters like all other big announcements. Rolling out the Model 3 would be strategic to basically dampen any competitor announcements coming up in Detroit in January. The big, "one more thing."

Has to be AWD or Driver Assist.
WSJ:
In this case, the tweet is likely referring to an equipment upgrade instead of a new vehicle. In an interview with The Wall Street Journal last month, Mr. Musk said the company isn't working on any other vehicles currently besides those announced. However, he said the company was going to make "significant" product news.
All-wheel drive is an important feature for cold-weather climates. Luxury car brand Jaguar didn't offer it on its models until a few years ago and executives felt it limited sales in snowy regions.
A spokesman for Mr. Musk and Silicon Valley-based Tesla couldn't be reached. Shares of Tesla traded up 3.2% in the premarket, or $7.64 higher to $247.88.
Tesla - WSJ

So we know the D is for dual motors. I wonder if the "something else" is a higher capacity battery cell pack. I think I recall Panasonic making higher capacity cells than what tesla is currently using. Perhaps they have upgraded the cells. Note: they might not change the 60 vs 85 packs with regards to total capacity, but rather just reduce the number of battery cells since higher capacity batteries would have better density. In other words, less cells, same capacity = lighter car = increased range. New higher density packs could also support 150kWh supercharging.

I'd bet on Curt Renz' suggestion that "D" stands for "Deluxe", a Model S with a long wheelbase, more leg room in the back and much better, ventilated seats, maybe even with an optional mini bar. That Model S D might also have a larger battery pack, and, this would be supercool, optional falcon doors.

The "something else" is probably the battery swap trial between L.A. and S.F. which Elon announced in a townhall in Amsterdam in February this year, to open "within the next months", which is like now.

As many have stated, the "D" font is the same as the "P" font. To me this means it will be a letter in front of the battery type and represent "Dual" or the AWD that many expect to be announced by the end of this year.

As for "something else". I would think that has to be Driver Assist features. The DS told me I had all the new driver assist sensors, but said he was not allowed to go over what they actually do/will do until it is officially announced. The something else must be the official announcement for the new driver assist sensors that are popping up on cars.

I think a telling clue was his follow up tweet hinting that the "other letter" would have made the announcement "worse".

Like many innocent parents, I didn't get what was wrong with the original tweet until I Googled it. According to the Urban Dictionary, "the D" is slang for the guys' smallest family member.

Given that the font suggests it is a prefix and the car pictured is clearly a Model S, I ran searches to see if "the X" had any connotations that were even more suggestive. It does not. (although I learned a lot) :redface:

Those searches also brought me to some other letters that pair with "the D" and I think the only pairing that would have been along the same dirty-minded lines would be: DP.

So I'll concede the D could either be Dual (to satisfy the impatient X aspirants who would otherwise be hopelessly late in the production cue) or it could be Deluxe (as we've seen Tesla move quickly in the past-- changing the grey paint-- to satisfy demands of the Chinese market)... but I think the "something else" could be a Performance version of the D.

No other letter combination seems to explain the giggles and nudges implied by the first announcement and follow up tweet.