Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About time to unveil the D and something else

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm going to agree with those that think D likely stands for "dual motor" for an AWD Model S. It does surprise me that they'd release an AWD Model S before the Model X is available, from a marketing standpoint. But Tesla has often been about shipping things "when it's ready" and we know that AWD Model Ss have been in testing for a while.
It makes sense when you consider that until the X is available, they want to steer as many people as possible towards buying the S. Giving an AWD option will help them persuade X reservation holders to act now on an S.

Doug - if the Model S D85 is AWD with 4 seats, does that change your position regarding marketing?
Not sure where you're getting four seats, but no.

I don't really think there is much new info to read into that VIN description. Dual motors for the Model S is no surprise. It was announced as early as the Model S premiere back in March of 2009 (so it makes since to make a designation for it in the VIN). Elon specifically said it would be done with a second motor in the front which would take up some of the front trunk space. More recently, during an event in Europe over a year ago, Elon started to mention the AWD Model S, but George B cut him off. I think the reasoning was that there are Model X reservation holders that specifically want it for the AWD feature and Tesla didn't want to cut into the success of the Model X launch.

But there are good reasons to rethink that strategy. For one the Model X is likely to be production limited anyhow as they start deliveries, so demand really won't be an issue. And second, given the delays with the Model X, might as well take advantage of those extra Model S sales now.

Not sure where you're getting four seats, but no.

I don't really think there is much new info to read into that VIN description. Dual motors for the Model S is no surprise. It was promised as early as the Model S premiere back in March of 2009 (so it makes since to make a designation for it in the VIN). Elon specifically said it would be done with a second motor in the front which would take up some of the front trunk space. More recently, during an event in Europe over a year ago, Elon started to mention the AWD Model S, but George B cut him off. I think the reasoning was that there are Model X reservation holders that specifically want it for the AWD feature and they didn't want to cut into the success of the Model X launch.

But there are good reasons to rethink that strategy. For one the Model X is likely to be production limited anyhow as they start deliveries, so demand really won't be an issue. And second, given the delays with the Model X, might as well take advantage of those extra Model S sales now.

Restraint System = 4 Seats.

The Restraint System "3" is new. (FR, SR*2) is two front and two rear (which is new) and the (FR, SR*3) two front and three rear is the current system. The Dual Motor Model S will be similar to a Porsche Panamera and have 4 seats (and a higher end interior). This would differentiate from Model X in that if you want the function of seating 5 or 7 adults, go with the SUV, if you want the performance and luxury of the D85, go with the Sedan. So, from a marketing standpoint these products are clearly differentiated.

I think it meant 2 rows or 3 rows? Anyone check their vins to compare that?

The original 2012 VIN designation only had a "1" restraint option. And 2012 cars were sold with optional 3rd row Kid Seats.

"3" was introduced in 2014

2012 VIN designation: View attachment ORG8047.pdf

- - - Updated - - -

think about the Chinese market.. 2 rear seats allows for a roomier ride, for the rich chinese owners being chaufeered around, its probably more expensive with the dual motors as well, perfect for the high end Chinese market, which is where Tesla is counting on major sales.

I agree.

Here's something everyone on here has seemed to miss: the scripted D in the photo. Being that it is in the same font as the P in P85, I think it's clear that it will go in the model name (not a feature like driver assist, which I think is the something else and gets us to the double D innuendo). It's also clear this is not a new model, Tesla clearly has limited resources and wouldn't be unveiling a completely new model when Model 3 hasn't even been designed/shown. Dual Motor is the most obvious because the work involved in its development, especially with the redundancy to Model X, would be relatively simple and produce large return (increase Model S demand and "testing" for the Model X). I think, as mentioned earlier, we are looking at a Model S D60, D85, PD85, PD85+ (maybe they'll skip the D60).

Restraint System = 4 Seats.

The Restraint System "3" is new. (FR, SR*2) is two front and two rear (which is new) and the (FR, SR*3) two front and three rear is the current system. The Dual Motor Model S will be similar to a Porsche Panamera and have 4 seats (and a higher end interior). This would differentiate from Model X in that if you want the function of seating 5 or 7 adults, go with the SUV, if you want the performance and luxury of the D85, go with the Sedan. So, from a marketing standpoint these products are clearly differentiated.
Sure, I think the Model S and Model X are already differentiated enough that it makes sense to offer an AWD Model S. The issue was timing. With a delayed Model X, it makes sense to go ahead with an AWD Model S.

Regarding the restraint system, I'd hope those options would be decoupled from AWD.

I'm just surprised they are going to call it the Model S D85 or PD85 etc, not Model S 85 AWD or P85 AWD. Adding a D for dual motor seems strange and misses the immediate consumer recognition of an all wheel drive vehicle. You see 85 AWD on a car and you think: oh, that's an AWD version. You see D85 or 85D and you think: what?