Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About time to unveil the D and something else

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

I thought you were #4... Did old #2 & #3 drop out?

I was originally #3 (not 4).
The original #2 dropped out, informed me they were doing so, and I requested that spot (you don't automatically move up in line). My request was granted :). That was way way back at the beginning of time.

Screen Shot 2014-10-03 at 9.48.41 PM.png

Last edited:
I got an invite and I am not a Signature owner or a X reservation holder, just a fairly early model S owner who attended the Supercharger announcement and the cross country team kick off at Hawthorne. All this speculation has me interested so I RSVP'ed. Should I bring my checkbook?

I got an invite and I am not a Signature owner or a X reservation holder, just a fairly early model S owner who attended the Supercharger announcement and the cross country team kick off at Hawthorne. All this speculation has me interested so I RSVP'ed. Should I bring my checkbook?

They don't take AMEX? :tongue:

I'd bring a checkbook, just in case. At the Model X reveal, there were a lot of people upset that they only had credit cards (you know who you are) and no checkbook. They had to wait on wire transfers for the Signature deposit.

Again, this is 'just in case'. I think it's pure speculation that the Model 3 would be revealed and deposits taken. But why take a chance on missing out if that's what you're planning on getting?

If I were doing the scripting for the event, I'd start out with the P85D, show it doing all kinds of zoomy things with that show off the AWD capabilities, then, in an off-and manner, mention the exact same drivetrain is in the Model X and have the Beta come out and do the exact same things.

Got my invite, so I'll be there. The invites must be rolling down to us regular folks as I am simply a production P owner and production X reservation holder.

O

As I've posted at the start of this thread, I think the reveals will be:

1. AWD Model S (this is pretty much a given)
2. Final Production Model X, including limited test-drives (hence all the invites)
3. Model 3 design reveal

And none of this driver assist or automated driving BS (except maybe a brief mention for PR purposes).

As I've posted at the start of this thread, I think the reveals will be:

1. AWD Model S (this is pretty much a given)
2. Final Production Model X, including limited test-drives (hence all the invites)
3. Model 3 design reveal

And none of this driver assist or automated driving BS (except maybe a brief mention for PR purposes).

this one is definitely my favourite and most plausible theory :love:

I would not call it BS. In fact, I firmly believe Tesla will demonstrate some drive assist features.

On September 9, Elon Musk stated he would have a "World-Wide Press Conference" on the Firmware 6.0 in the coming weeks (view 22:30 Mark).
Elon Musk on Tesla Model S in Japan, Toyota Partnership: Video - Bloomberg

On September 15, Tesla inadvertently revealed additional features in the in-car v6.0 manual with Speed Assist, Lane Departure, etc.
Speed Assist and Lane Departure Warning

On September 19, Tesla publishes a V6.0 Blog that highlights:
-Traffic-Based Navigation (BETA)
-Commute Advice
-Calendar (BETA)
-Remote Start
-Location-Based Air Suspension
-Name Your Car
-Power Management Options

Software v6.0 | Blog | Tesla Motors

As of today (October 3rd) and despite the v6.0 Rollout and the September 19th Blog post, the 6.0 Release notes are not available under "My Tesla" on Tesla Motors | Premium Electric Vehicles (At least I do not have them, nor does my father or brother, if anyone has these v6.0 please correct me if I'm wrong).
I do not believe the the September 19th blog post constitutes a "World Wide Press Conference." Rather the October 9th event would fall under the "World Wide Press Conference" category. And I believe Tesla will unveil the first step toward Autonomous Driving, which is drive assist. These features are available with the Radar and Mobile Eye technologies being delivered in cars today. BMW currently uses this technology:

BMW ConnectedDrive : Intelligent Driving

In summary, on October 9th, Elon will reveal the Performance 85 Dual Motor and make use of the large airport tarmac by setting up an obstacle course to demonstrate the drive assist capabilities such as braking and steering. The reason we have not seen the full release of v6.0 on My Tesla (again correct me if I'm wrong) is these features have not been announced to the world (and are worthy of a demonstration).

Mobile Eye's After Market Technology:
us.mobileye - The Mobileye Features

Mobile Eye's technology when integrated into an OEM (please note integrated technology brakes and steers your vehicle).
BMW ConnectedDrive : Intelligent Driving

Last edited:
For the record, my "BS" was meant to modify the "automated driving" part, not the "driver assist" part. Everyone is getting their panties in a bunch over the automated driving PR/vaporware when it's several years away from reality (i.e. in a production car) which Elon has said just last month.

Sure, demos are great for show, but they rarely reflect the actual state of the art (that is, when demos actually work). Demos are set up in very controlled, predictable, and repeatable situations.

For the record, my "BS" was meant to modify the "automated driving" part, not the "driver assist" part. Everyone is getting their panties in a bunch over the automated driving PR/vaporware when it's several years away from reality (i.e. in a production car) which Elon has said just last month.

Sure, demos are great for show, but they rarely reflect the actual state of the art (that is, when demos actually work). Demos are set up in very controlled, predictable, and repeatable situations.

I see. I agree with you regarding demonstrations. Among other reasons, a battery swap looks great in a demo, but making them a reality is another story.

Actually, I'm going to swap my battery on my way home from the service center after I pick up my carbon fiber drop in console. Zing!

Unlike the battery swap, i do believe drive assist will be on the road this year. And I do believe the autonomous driving will be available in Model X next year. Tesla is working with Mobile Eye so it will get done.

"The D and something else" says to me that they will reveal 2 new things.
If it is a modelX then it will be something different. (Maybe they gave up on falcon doors).

Who says "time to show you the D and something else" only to show you something old?

If it was the X why wouldn't you say "the X and something else"

My vote is dual motors and another model/model variant.

Like a modelS with AWD, 2 gullwing doors and 4 seats

There's a lot of excitement on this thread and I think the conversation around these mysterious announcements (ie., think back on last year's trilogy) tends to go toward what is possible but not what is realistic.

Anyway, my vote is for a dual motor Model S (which there will be a 0-60mph demo for at the Hawthorne Airport on Oct 9th) and for Driver Assist features to be explained more fully.

I think the Model X reveal would be best served as a separate event.

I also think the Model 3 reveal would be best at a separate event as well (maximum exposure/publicity).

"The D and something else" says to me that they will reveal 2 new things.
If it is a modelX then it will be something different. (Maybe they gave up on falcon doors).

The Falcon/Gullwing doors are problematic for many drivers in "Old Europe" where most underground parking lots have super low ceilings (max height allowed <2 meters).
For example, in Paris and around, there are many parkings where opening my MS trunk door will hit some structures (electrical, plumbing) with the annoying "clunk" and alarm sounds.

You may enter the parking with the X but then you'll have to exit through the windows :mad:...

Plus it's going to be a nightmare for anyone willing to use a roof-rack for skis or surfboards.

Too much of a deal-breaker over here, imho.
And the reason I track this is I pre-ordered an X and eagerly wait for the measurements inc. doors.

There's a lot of excitement on this thread and I think the conversation around these mysterious announcements (ie., think back on last year's trilogy) tends to go toward what is possible but not what is realistic.

Anyway, my vote is for a dual motor Model S (which there will be a 0-60mph demo for at the Hawthorne Airport on Oct 9th) and for Driver Assist features to be explained more fully.

I think the Model X reveal would be best served as a separate event.

I also think the Model 3 reveal would be best at a separate event as well (maximum exposure/publicity).

+1 - agree. All of us typically get too excited, then analysts who read the forum, get too excited, too - and we all get disappointed after the event. I think for all our blood pressure and for our TSLA portfolios it's best to be realistic: AWD + Software V.6 with some really cool driver assist features is more than enough good news for me.