Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About time to unveil the D and something else

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...why hold the event at the airport?...

I understand about the possibility for Tesla to demo "D"ual motor performance, even offering test drives down the runway for VIPs to experience the awesome performance...still I think there's something more behind the event being held there...something too obvious and yet Tesla amazing for us to guess...

As already mentioned, this will decimate the resale value of all existing Model Ss. That's disappointing, but good for those people who got they buyback guarantee (not me).

Given that resale values are otherwise liable to hold up above the level of the buyback guarantee (as cars with low running costs do consistently because the used car market is more of a value market) they'd still probably be taking a hit on losing the potential to sell privately.

Losing 10% of value isn't nice if you're planning on upgrading early.
(Pet peeve: people using decimate to mean a loss of much more than 1/10.)

But the good news is that people who pay excise taxes on estimated resale value would pay less tax.

I understand about the possibility for Tesla to demo "D"ual motor performance, even offering test drives down the runway for VIPs to experience the awesome performance...still I think there's something more behind the event being held there...something too obvious and yet Tesla amazing for us to guess...

Because the design studio is next to the airport.

If the AWD can greatly increase freeway range, that would be a very big deal. Still, if I remember correctly from Tesla's graphs, wind resistance was the bulk of the energy cost at speed, not motor inefficiency.

Hmm, Tesla seems to have changed their blog structure. I can't see the old blogs to hunt down the graphs. I'm sure they're there though since the Tesla Secret Master Plan is there if you Google.

Greatly is probably an overstatement. Electric motors lose efficiency as they spin faster, because of back EMF - I think it is basically the motor wanting to act as a generator when you don't want it to.

GM says they gain 4% on the freeway by more or less halving the main drive motor speed on the Volt in two motor EV mode. I'd expect that Tesla will get something on the same order from shifting all of the torque to a lower geared front drive motor.
Walter

Despite the Presidential TFR, the runway at Hawthorne (HHR) is not closed or scheduled to be closed. As I said back here: About time to unveil the D and something else - Page 45 the FAA is not going to let a private company shut down the only runway at a class B public airport for a product demo.

I would not be surprised if they show videos of the D run on one of the runways at IYK: About time to unveil the D and something else - Page 47

The "P85D" picture was taken at IYK while one its 3 runways were closed, so it's entirely possible that's when demo videos were shot.

SCOOTE3PScopy.jpg
SCOOTE2PScopy.jpg

Despite the Presidential TFR, the runways ar Hawthorne (HHR) are not closed or scheduled to be closed. As I said back here: About time to unveil the D and something else - Page 45 the FAA is not going to let a private company shut down the only runway at a class B public airport for a product demo.

I would not be surprised if they show videos of the D run on one of the runways at IYK: About time to unveil the D and something else - Page 47

The "P85D" picture was taken at IYK while one its 3 runways were closed, so it's entirely possible that's when demo videos were shot.

I fully agree with you about the FAA not going to allow an airport effective shutdown for a private company to "show off" (I mean that kindly and respectfully)... but I also think choosing the airport for the unveiling is due to something more than the pure convenience of it being next to the design studio... it seems to me they could have gone for the studio itself...

I know it's crazy, but to me it looks more like an aircraft's roll-out...

I forgot to mention to everyone... with the motor in the front, your going to lose the "microwave" compartment on the front trunk... they don't call them the frunk anymore for some reason at Tesla motors.. lol So with that said I'm not sure if they will change and apply it to all the models since.. you do lose a little storage space.. in my opinion it would work better as an option.

Larry

Since the motor is between the wheels I don't think you'd lose any storage space at all actually. You forget the Model X is AWD and has a frunk as well.

I fully agree with you about the FAA not going to allow an airport effective shutdown for a private company to "show off" (I mean that kindly and respectfully)... but I also think choosing the airport for the unveiling is due to something more than the pure convenience of it being next to the design studio... it seems to me they could have gone for the studio itself...

I know it's crazy, but to me it looks more like an aircraft's roll-out...

I know the event is for 7pm PST, but anyone know when is the earliest attendees could show up? Wondering if someone may tweet about a hyperloop tube on the runway or something while the market is open.