Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About time to unveil the D and something else

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"If you have to ask the price, it's obvious you cannot afford it" :)

when I bought my Model S, someone said to me "Cars comming out if that Fremont plant are going to keep improving, just realize that and be ok with it"

Oh, I totally did accept that when I bought the car. However that was always caveated with, I will upgrade when they release auto-pilot... I was NOT expecting that to happen for another year or two. Even if the software isn't there yet, the hardware is, which means any car bought today will get it eventually.

I will likely end up waiting for it at this point though, until such time as I can afford to upgrade, and it will likely be when they have ironed all this out and it is working 100%.

Folks, I called it in a dream!

Dreams - Page 3

text here:
Ok, so I had a Model S dream... The phone app had 3 new features:

1) Drive to me. I didn't test this because I did #2 first:
2) Follow me. In this mode, the car creeps along behind you as you walk on foot, so you are always close to your car i guess? The problem is that the car made no attempt at street pathing or anything that would make a shred of sense, so you had to make sure that it wouldn't drive over anything bad. I got the distinct impression it just made a straightline to you so I didn't test #1.
3) Follow me in compact form. So, the car compresses transformer-like into a small cylinder on wheels, basically R2-D2 and follows you closely so you don't have to worry about parking, and your car is always close by! It kept hitting the back of my feet which wasn't great. Then I had it switch back to car mode and as it did so I realized I had a lot of concerns about the amount of flexing involved in the process and that it may not be a good idea to do it very often...

Pretty great ideas though huh?

Compact form is next!

Jalopnik reporting $120k for P85D top spec S w/ tech and performance required....691 hp

Tesla is still working on calibration, but I got a brief, spirited run in the back seat, and the results are – and kinda I hate admitting this – scary.
It's like nothing else I've ever experienced, and that includes a run in the electrically-augmented Porsche 918.

Wow.

active emergency braking!

One of the things I do on the freeway when I brake is make sure I brake effectively to not hit the car in front of me, but not so hard to ensure the car in back of me doesn't hit me either. Will Active Braking monitor in back as well as front? Or just slam the brakes, and hope for the best? How do other active braking systems work in other cars?

One of the things I do on the freeway when I brake is make sure I brake effectively to not hit the car in front of me, but not so hard to ensure the car in back of me doesn't hit me either. Will Active Braking monitor in back as well as front? Or just slam the brakes, and hope for the best? How do other active braking systems work in other cars?

if the car in the rear is within range of the sonar it will take that into consideration, if you have some idiot driving 75 MPH into a line of 10 MPH cars there is nothing it can do.

Wow, never thought I'd want to get rid of my P85 so soon. New P85D is bonkers. Autopilot features are also amazing. I guess this is what the programers were up to instead of making valet mode and shuffle in the media player. I approve.

Folks, I called it in a dream!

Dreams - Page 3

text here:
Ok, so I had a Model S dream... The phone app had 3 new features:

1) Drive to me. I didn't test this because I did #2 first:
2) Follow me. In this mode, the car creeps along behind you as you walk on foot, so you are always close to your car i guess? The problem is that the car made no attempt at street pathing or anything that would make a shred of sense, so you had to make sure that it wouldn't drive over anything bad. I got the distinct impression it just made a straightline to you so I didn't test #1.
3) Follow me in compact form. So, the car compresses transformer-like into a small cylinder on wheels, basically R2-D2 and follows you closely so you don't have to worry about parking, and your car is always close by! It kept hitting the back of my feet which wasn't great. Then I had it switch back to car mode and as it did so I realized I had a lot of concerns about the amount of flexing involved in the process and that it may not be a good idea to do it very often...

Pretty great ideas though huh?

Compact form is next!

The Follow me feature would be very useful to park the Model S in the narrow spaces of Rome. Great! :cool: