Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ABRP Battery Degradation Comparison Post / Poll

Do you feel your degradation matches your expectation?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe you need to name your car. You're registered, right?

yea I registered and have a ABRP account.
I named my car at Tesla side.
This just popped up when I check. Then name wasn’t there last night. Guess it took some time to sync up with the car?

AA964030-4E2B-44A5-95E3-F24A97ED7D2B.jpeg

OK, not sure what the problem is - I thought my car was linked before but when I open ABRP it isn't there. So I tried to link it. First it says it can't find the car - i opened up the Tesla app and woke the car up and ABRP now finds it. But when I tried to link it it gave me an error message. I know I have the email & PW correct, tried several times but no luck. So I went and sat in the car and tried to link it on the phone app again. This time it was there and found my car and said it linked it. Great. So I decided to pull up ABRP on the car browser because I remember that it wasn't finding my car before. And sure enough, my car still isn't linked with the in car browser. I pulled my phone out again and it is calling my car "unnamed car" instead of the actual name, but it looks like it is still linked. I don't have the other information showing, but I haven't supercharged in about 6 weeks, so maybe it needs to be correctly linked when I do that next? I have a trip coming up in a few weeks and was planning on doing the trial of ABRP premium for the trip. I don't go on too many long trips, so I don't think it will be worth the subscription, but I figured I might as well try it out. Still not sure why the in car browser doesn't seem to find it.

yea I registered and have a ABRP account.
I named my car at Tesla side.
This just popped up when I check. Then name wasn’t there last night. Guess it took some time to sync up with the car?

View attachment 579023
For some reason this thread is hard to follow.

Anyhow, you need to have supercharged to get the deg figure. Since you say you supercharged, maybe you need to charge for a minimum amount of time? Try asking on ABRP's twitter feed.

44.4 kWh capacity is low mine was at 50.3 kWh with 5700 miles. Could be something wrong with the app or the car.

Thanks for the data point. Maybe it's me being paranoid, but I just scheduled a service appointment so they can take a look.

I made a 140-mile round trip up north and back on a hotter day last weekend, and after leaving home at 100 percent I pulled into the supercharger near home at 11 percent. I had the A/C blasting and wasn't exactly driving with a light foot, but at 254 Wh/mi my consumption wasn't awful.

E1B2BC38-A663-4343-9D7A-B83F3B0B4A2F_1_105_c.jpeg

My SR+ at 90% is 193 miles and 12% degradation. It never had 230 miles; 240 or 250. 100% is theoretically 214.

Supercharged 3x over 15,000 miles. Charged to 100% twice, went to 15% once. Dunno, but none of the SR+ cars seem to do very well. Tried "rebalancing" by running the battery 90 to 20 and back a few times. Made things worse. Really did not think we have abused this car in any way.

Starting to default back to our ICE cars for anything much more than grocery runs.

FWIW - my car is the worst on TeslaFi, so your results should be better.

• Informative
Reactions: mrgoogle
44.4 kWh capacity is low mine was at 50.3 kWh with 5700 miles. Could be something wrong with the app or the car.
50+ kWh is amazing... We have a SR+ that effectively never was + (more like minus)

currently it’s 47.1kWh incl 2.1kWh buffer (100%)

My SR+ at 90% is 193 miles and 12% degradation. It never had 230 miles; 240 or 250. 100% is theoretically 214.

Supercharged 3x over 15,000 miles. Charged to 100% twice, went to 15% once. Dunno, but none of the SR+ cars seem to do very well. Tried "rebalancing" by running the battery 90 to 20 and back a few times. Made things worse. Really did not think we have abused this car in any way.

Starting to default back to our ICE cars for anything much more than grocery runs.

Well I am at 27.000km and at -13.8% so you are not worst on TeslaFi because I have TeslaFi also.

ours is 208/240 at 100 or 187 at 90.... It has been so low for a long time

Really kinda of pissed and dissapointed, some round trips arent possible because of it (family)

(and ofc: Tesla says within spec)

good to know ABRP takes degradation into account though

Thanks for the data point. Maybe it's me being paranoid, but I just scheduled a service appointment so they can take a look.

I made a 140-mile round trip up north and back on a hotter day last weekend, and after leaving home at 100 percent I pulled into the supercharger near home at 11 percent. I had the A/C blasting and wasn't exactly driving with a light foot, but at 254 Wh/mi my consumption wasn't awful.

View attachment 579429

In the Netherlands Tesla “service” just cancels such appointments with a sms that everything is within specs.

In the Netherlands Tesla “service” just cancels such appointments with a sms that everything is within specs.

For my US case, a few days after setting up my appointment I got a text message from Tesla inquiring as to the nature of my appointment (I replied back battery degradation and range calculations) and had a quick reply back asking when I'd have time for a call. I took the call a few minutes later from a Tesla tech stating the usual – I'm within spec (no surprise) although toward the bottom of the fleet at 12 percent degradation. No appointment necessary.

I'm a little confused as to why I'm experiencing this range loss when I have a software-locked SR with an extra large buffer on the SR+ battery. Does the BMS just scale the range loss by an equal percent regardless of spec, instead of just pulling out of the buffer? (A question better suited for another thread, I'm sure.)

• Informative

Curious, when you tried rebalancing did you let the car rest for an hour or two at 20% and 90%? A Tesla Ranger recently told me that is part of the secret sauce, the car needs time at the top and bottom for the BMS to mark the voltage and really “learn” what the range is.

Also, have you tried a range test where you charge to 100% then drive it down to 10% to see how many miles you actually get? Often the stated range and actual range are not the same.

Curious, when you tried rebalancing did you let the car rest for an hour or two at 20% and 90%? A Tesla Ranger recently told me that is part of the secret sauce, the car needs time at the top and bottom for the BMS to mark the voltage and really “learn” what the range is.

Also, have you tried a range test where you charge to 100% then drive it down to 10% to see how many miles you actually get? Often the stated range and actual range are not the same.
most people that happens naturally at some point. Even when doing it actively we have a SR+ that started as a SR, but in reality is a SR-

208/240 rated miles, add charge only to 90% and we got 187 useable rated miles... Been like that since first month(!) “Within Tesla spec” they say..

Really pissed me off, I own stock, reallly was hard to finally be able to buy one, now get shafted how about that... They even try to let you pay for a battery check(!) because “it didn’t show errors”

edit: I think they are less likely to scrap the bottom end batteries at the SR/SR+ range

most people that happens naturally at some point. Even when doing it actively we have a SR+ that started as a SR, but in reality is a SR-

208/240 rated miles, add charge only to 90% and we got 187 useable rated miles... Been like that since first month(!) “Within Tesla spec” they say..

Really pissed me off, I own stock, reallly was hard to finally be able to buy one, now get shafted how about that... They even try to let you pay for a battery check(!) because “it didn’t show errors”

edit: I think they are less likely to scrap the bottom end batteries at the SR/SR+ range

Sorry I’m not quite sure based on your reply. Did you actually let the car “rest” for several hours at the top and the bottom while doing the rebalancing thing? I’m asking because a) I’m curious if it actually works and b) I have yet to meet / talk to anyone who has actually done it that way. FWIW the Ranger I spoke with said you would have to do it several times before seeing any benefit (ie range climbing back up).

Teslafi is showing a loss of 5.35% after 15,000 miles and 17 months... Seems reasonable and acceptable. I trust Teslafi's battery report more than ABRP's, by the way... I usually charge to 80% and very rarely Supercharge. I've never tried to manually rebalance.

ABRP is showing 4.8% on my LR AWD at 23450 miles. My extrapolated 100% charge was ~309 miles until I hit 15k miles last January. At that time, which is right when they supposedly increased the range, mine went down to 300-302. It dropped another 10 miles in July at 20k miles when I went on a long, hot road trip. I just completed another 2600 mile trip and it doesn't seem like it changed at all there. Interestingly, my first leg was a 253 mile trek from Dallas to Tulsa. I charged to 100% and it said to limit to 70 mph when I left. I kept to ~70 on the freeway for the first ~50 miles, but the battery % reading at the next stop kept rising from a start of 7% to 17%. Then the route goes to 2 lane highway with 55-65 limits. At 50% battery I had driven 155 miles, but the temperature had also risen from low 80s to near 100F, so that could have had something to do with it.
upload_2020-9-8_15-51-40.png

Sorry I’m not quite sure based on your reply. Did you actually let the car “rest” for several hours at the top and the bottom while doing the rebalancing thing? I’m asking because a) I’m curious if it actually works and b) I have yet to meet / talk to anyone who has actually done it that way. FWIW the Ranger I spoke with said you would have to do it several times before seeing any benefit (ie range climbing back up).
i have been letting the car rest at low and medium SoC’s for 10months.
I assume that only increases useable capacity if it find out current battery capacity estimation is off.

Remember: I made my 1st appointment in first month owning the car, then ar third month had forst SeC visit about it: they then start dodging questions and basically try everything to send you away..

For me it means I can’t do round trip to parents, because I am missing -14%.... Then add “charge to 90% ideally” and you see where I am getting at.

i have been letting the car rest at low and medium SoC’s for 10months.
I assume that only increases useable capacity if it find out current battery capacity estimation is off.

Remember: I made my 1st appointment in first month owning the car, then ar third month had forst SeC visit about it: they then start dodging questions and basically try everything to send you away..

For me it means I can’t do round trip to parents, because I am missing -14%.... Then add “charge to 90% ideally” and you see where I am getting at.

Yes I agree the service centers are generally terrible at, well, service. Most seem to be overwhelmed or poorly trained, or both. Any battery degradation below 30% they are going to dismiss pretty quickly. That’s partially because they know the majority of these issues are merely BMS / display issues and not true loss of range.

I’m not saying that’s the case in your situation, just in most. Good luck to you, I hope everything works out. FWIW I wouldn’t hesitate to charge to 100% when you need to. As long as you don’t leave the car at 100% SOC for days on end I don’t think there’s an issue.