Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AC odor removal and cleaning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
because the filter is recommended to be replaced every 10k miles. Love my car, hate all customer service interactions.

I believe the manual recommends 2 years. Which would be way more than 10K miles. Sounds like more SC BS to me. If they officially list the cabin filter change at every 10K miles, it would pretty much instantly wipe out any savings from oil changes vs an ICE car. So much for that low maintenance EV :rolleyes:

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
Replace every 10K miles is definitely BS! I think I will adhere to replacing it every 2 years though. I replaced my filter and did a thorough evaporator cleaning at least 3 months ago and I haven’t had even a hint of foul odors since.

My "odor service" is being today@ ~6 mo.s / 6K miles. they haven't said anything about cost yet

Anything I ask/ need to know before they come or ask the tech?

sorry for late response. I ended up only paying for the part, but I had to argue my point. I did pull out the maintenance manual which clearly states every 2 years for cabin filter replaced, not 10k miles. When I brought this up, the only response I was given was that their techs see filters needing replaced around every 10k. Def a lot of BS.

sorry for late response. I ended up only paying for the part, but I had to argue my point. I did pull out the maintenance manual which clearly states every 2 years for cabin filter replaced, not 10k miles. When I brought this up, the only response I was given was that their techs see filters needing replaced around every 10k. Def a lot of BS.
Yep, they probably just changed the policy after the many complaints. But hopefully the software mitigation that they added in spring will obviate frequent filter service. I have done the replace/clean about 5 months ago and so far the smell hasn't returned, so it seems to help (knock on wood).

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
My "odor service" is being today@ ~6 mo.s / 6K miles. they haven't said anything about cost yet

Anything I ask/ need to know before they come or ask the tech?
Yep, they probably just changed the policy after the many complaints. But hopefully the software mitigation that they added in spring will obviate frequent filter service. I have done the replace/clean about 5 months ago and so far the smell hasn't returned, so it seems to help (knock on wood).

Got the cost waived/goodwill but I had to stand my ground. This tech said 6 mos/6K (they all seem to all have their own deadlines) I will be submitting one for rattles soon.

He did say the software mitigation that they added in spring will obviate frequent filter service also, but wouldn't undo if the mold was there already. He also said to not use the recirc. occasionally (which I was doing all the time) Hopefully the software mitigation will solve that problem too.?

1 year old Nov-18 Model 3 here. 8k miles and my smell was horrible. I just did the Kool It and new filters DIY. I found spraying the foam in there fairly easy and didn’t need a contraption.

Given my car is newer than last Fall, I don’t think the car is running the fan extra time to prevent the mildew smell. Any setting I’m missing. I guess I’ll just turn the AC off and run max fan for my last minute of the drive. Any way to automate this, my wife likely won’t do it. At $12 for the foam and $20 for the filters, I may just have to do this 30 minute, $30 job once a year.

I complained aggressively to the Tesla SC as this being a defect/design flaw, but they wouldn’t comp this service, and they wanted about $160 for it :(

• Informative
Reactions: Kleenerth3
So I just did it. Definitely gets the febreeze smell, however when I turn the AC off the mildew smell is still there, slightly covered up by febreeze smell.

So I’m not sure Koolit cleaning and filters truly does it. I got incredibly good foam coverage too.

Do you all leave the AC on all the time or do you turn off the compressor when the weather outside is cool/pleasant?

My car is still stink free. I did not change my filters.
  • I removed my filters, then cleaned them, and sprayed my coils and soaked my filters with Chlorine Dioxide.
  • Still noticed smell in some situations so I treated with an ozone generator
  • Better but not perfect so I treated with ozone generator plus heat set to Hi. Worked!
I do have a second set of Tesla filters on hand but have not needed them yet. My gut feeling is ozone generator plus heat set to HI probably would have worked the first time although cleaning debris out of the filter was a positive.

My car is still stink free. I did not change my filters.
  • I removed my filters, then cleaned them, and sprayed my coils and soaked my filters with Chlorine Dioxide.
  • Still noticed smell in some situations so I treated with an ozone generator
  • Better but not perfect so I treated with ozone generator plus heat set to Hi. Worked!
I do have a second set of Tesla filters on hand but have not needed them yet. My gut feeling is ozone generator plus heat set to HI probably would have worked the first time although cleaning debris out of the filter was a positive.

What do you mean by heat set to High. Is this everyday when you park or just after cleaning? Is this with AC on or off?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M7VOSH1

It was $90 when I got it... I am not an expert period on ozone generators - this is just what I settled on. You may want to ask others.

If you get this unit I would run it for a bit somewhere outside of your car unless you want a new electrical burned smell as well. I wish I had known about that. Who knows what the corona burned off at first and I don't know if all ozone generators have this issue or not. During the second use in my car and in a couple rooms in my house it was just ozone...

FYI, I almost have 25,000 miles on my Sept 2018 delivered Model 3 AWD original filters.

Last edited: