Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

AWD (Non P) - Will you buy the $2k "Acceleration Boost" to get 0-60 mph in 3.9s (from current 4.4s)?

• Yes, this is what I've been waiting for!

Votes: 65 7.9%
  • Yes, I want a full uncork to Stealth Performance but this is better than nothing

Votes: 220 26.7%
  • Yes, for other reasons

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • No, I only want a full uncork to Stealth Performance

Votes: 182 22.1%
  • No, I don't want or care to pay for any additional performance

Votes: 140 17.0%
  • No, for other reasons

Votes: 44 5.3%
  • I'm not a Non-P AWD owner, but just want to vote

Votes: 158 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just to clear this up since Tesla deceptively uses different measuring methods for P vs non-P...

Using 1 foot rollout (the way the P, but not other trims are measured):

Post both 5% updates:

P did about 3 flat (I saw one or two 2.98 type runs but nothing quicker)

AWD did about 3.9 flat (I saw a couple of 3.86 type runs but most around 3.9)- tesla keeps using a different measurement (no rollout) to advertise this at 4.4 instead though even that is nearer 4.1 real world.

With the 2k unlock looks like the AWD is now about 3.4-3.5 measured as the P is (there's only been a couple runs in crap weather, posted in another thread) and around 3.7ish without rollout.

The real winners are the Stealth P3D buyers. They are still a full 0.5 seconds faster with track mode and it only cost them $2k more than regular AWD.

what's more,

it perhaps quite soon new Model 3 offerings will include,

Dual Motor
Dual Motor with boosted performance +$2k
Stealth (off menu) with P acceleration +$x (something like $4k would be my guess)

as someone who got the stealth at the added depreciation cost of selling my year old non P dual motor, not quite the same value (my choice, not complaining), but, for people whose first 3 was a stealth they've already purchased, quite a good deal.

• Informative
Reactions: omkar
what's more,

it seems likely that soon new Model 3 offerings will include,

Dual Motor
Dual Motor with boosted performance +$2k
Stealth (off menu) with P acceleration +$x (something like $4k would be my guess)

as someone who got the stealth at the added depreciation cost of selling my year old non P dual motor, not quite the same value (my choice, not complaining), but, for people whose first 3 was a stealth they've already purchased, quite a good deal.
really curious to see what happens to the stealth models getting through the system.

really curious to see what happens to the stealth models getting through the system.

based on past events, I suspect stealth models people have already been assigned but have not yet taken delivery on will not have a change in price.

maybe stealth goes back "on menu" at roughly $4k less than the full P, $4k more than a dual motor (w/out $2k boost).

With Track mode, upgraded brakes, and upgraded wheels and tires. I could say the Stealth P3D was a great deal. This, not so much.

I eventually caved, sold my dual motor non P and got a stealth.

but, I remember before that, I consistently had in mind about $6k as a very fair price if Tesla would offer me stealth through an OTA based on their pricing at the time (which I don't remember at this point). getting half of that for $2k would be a discount to that. I had no expectation of getting track mode, which I did, but, I guess, to be fair, to some people that's a part of the value equation, and $2k w/out TM does not look as good to them as it does to me.

I eventually caved, sold my dual motor non P and got a stealth.

but, I remember before that, I consistently had in mind about $6k as a very fair price if Tesla would offer me stealth through an OTA based on their pricing at the time (which I don't remember at this point). getting half of that for $2k would be a discount to that (I had no expectation of getting track mode, which I did, but, I guess, to be fair, to some people that's a part of the value equation).
Your stealth cost the same amount as this boost and it’s still faster with Track mode. Feels like Tesla ripped us off

Your stealth cost the same amount as this boost and it’s still faster with Track mode. Feels like Tesla ripped us off

My stealth cost me taking the first year depreciation hit on two cars in two years... i.e., I sold my dual motor for $17.5k less than I paid for it, or $10k when you back out the tax credit.

If I'd had all the information this summer, I'd of held my dual motor and gone for this upgrade now, and felt like I'd gotten a great deal. some of that, of course, is subjective... but, it sure cost me more than $2k.

Kind of answers my question. Is it possible to convert how much avg HP u can get from .5sec
Yes! But I am not the physics major you are looking for!
Either someone will soon post before and after dyno runs, or Engineering Explained will fill a white board to show us.

You can ballpark it by comparing power numbers for the P and AWD models, look at their times and try and figure it out. Or just do the math. Which I don’t have on-hand right now.

That’s sunk cost. You can’t count that. Purchase price was the same as the boost models now.

lols,

you do realize, anyone pricing this upgrade vs. buying a stealth as more than a theoretical exercise owns a dual motor, and that sunken cost, today.

what's more, I don't think sunken cost is even the correct term... what really happened is, I took the worst depreciation cost of a car, the first year, twice, by selling and buying the stealth rather than keeping what I had, and getting an upgrade. not complaining, just trying to illustrate the difference between the options.

Reactions: bijan and ZappCatt