Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

AWD (Non P) - Will you buy the $2k "Acceleration Boost" to get 0-60 mph in 3.9s (from current 4.4s)?

• Yes, this is what I've been waiting for!

Votes: 65 7.9%
  • Yes, I want a full uncork to Stealth Performance but this is better than nothing

Votes: 220 26.7%
  • Yes, for other reasons

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • No, I only want a full uncork to Stealth Performance

Votes: 182 22.1%
  • No, I don't want or care to pay for any additional performance

Votes: 140 17.0%
  • No, for other reasons

Votes: 44 5.3%
  • I'm not a Non-P AWD owner, but just want to vote

Votes: 158 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The real winners are the Stealth P3D buyers. They are still a full 0.5 seconds faster with track mode and it only cost them $2k more than regular AWD.
Agree! Yes , yes... we should all be winners at the same price with closer features (exact same would be preferred ) but the buyers who bought stealth or P upfront will be bitter that they can no longer look down at us non-p owners. Now they still get to grin since we still cannot keep up and paid the same price. that’s why I hesitate. Will they ask for more later for full P Then pay again?

lols,

you do realize, anyone pricing this upgrade vs. buying a stealth as more than a theoretical exercise owns a dual motor, and that sunken cost, today.

what's more, I don't think sunken cost is even the correct term... what really happened is, I took the worst depreciation cost of a car, the first year, twice, by selling and buying the stealth rather than keeping what I had, and getting an upgrade. not complaining, just trying to illustrate the difference between the options.
I understand what you are saying but if I’m buying today and I get an option for a stealth at $50k and regular dual motor for $48k, the $2k to get 0.5 seconds to 60 is pretty steep when the Stealth comes with better specs for the same price. Feels like a steep price to pay.

Reactions: Sherlo
With Track mode, upgraded brakes, and upgraded wheels and tires. I could say the Stealth P3D was a great deal. This, not so much.

Downgraded wheels IMHO- heavier, less durable, basically worse in every way. The tires are better but you can put the same tires on 18s or 19s too without all the downsides.

Likewise the brakes are downgrades when it comes time to replace/repair em, and offer no benefit in street use compared to stock... they'll do better than stock on a (non-drag) track of course but you'd do better still at that track in a P3D- on 18 or 19s and using MPPs even better brake kit.

I do agree the P3D- is absolutely a great deal (and remains the best deal as long as they keep the mere 2k upgrade from AWD... but remember it was a $6000 upgrade last year so a lot of owners didn't get it as cheap as they can now in terms of upgrade cost)

Reactions: Phlier and Jedi2155
I understand what you are saying but if I’m buying today and I get an option for a stealth at $50k and regular dual motor for $48k, the $2k to get 0.5 seconds to 60 is pretty steep when the Stealth comes with better specs for the same price. Feels like a steep price to pay.

agree, of course, if you are buying new and have a stealth available at the pricing we've known for it. who in their right mind would buy the dual motor new, now, pay $2k for the boost, if they could buy the same exact car for the same exact price as a stealth, with the one difference that the stealth is about 0.5 seconds faster.

I think overwhelmingly the people here looking at the value proposition of this new offering for a real actual reason are people who own a dual motor today. that is people who have the option of $2k for a 0.5 second boost, or far more money to sell what they have and upgrade to a new car.

Last edited:
Downgraded wheels IMHO- heavier, less durable, basically worse in every way. The tires are better but you can put the same tires on 18s or 19s too without all the downsides.

Likewise the brakes are downgrades when it comes time to replace/repair em, and offer no benefit in street use compared to stock... they'll do better than stock on a (non-drag) track of course but you'd do better still at that track in a P3D- on 18 or 19s and using MPPs even better brake kit.

I do agree the P3D- is absolutely a great deal (and remains the best deal as long as they keep the mere 2k upgrade from AWD... but remember it was a $6000 upgrade last year so a lot of owners didn't get it as cheap as they can now in terms of upgrade cost)

strongly suspect if the stealth is continuing, it's getting a price bump real soon.

Reactions: Sherlo and Jedi2155
4A3F70A1-C2A9-4E89-8C55-FBE3B0B2D596.jpeg

P owner feels betrayed.

Sorry but I’d rather be stock and keep the setup from the full P3D. The wheels are perfect for sunny so-cal and it’s nice roads and the 20s look sweet. The brake feel on the full P3Ds are nicer which I felt were worth it. Any car can be modded for cheaper but it’s not worth the pain for many. Sorry but the $2k boost is comparatively way more expensive given the mere existence of the Stealth model.

Reactions: Maaz
well, that's something we can agree about Apprunner : ) if you're gonna buy a new 3 and can find a stealth, it's a great value, and that price may be ticking up very soon! : )
I’m just voicing my displeasure at Tesla for not giving the full Stealth mode for $2k. I don’t have much skin in the game as I have a full P3D but the Boost for $2k should equal the full Stealth IMHO. And they should send the Dual Motor Underline in the mail. Hahaha

Sorry but I’d rather be stock and keep the setup from the full P3D. The wheels are perfect for sunny so-cal and it’s nice roads and the 20s look sweet. The brake feel on the full P3Ds are nicer which I felt were worth it. Any car can be modded for cheaper but it’s not worth the pain for many. Sorry but the $2k boost is comparatively way more expensive given the mere existence of the Stealth model.

I absolutely love the full 3P+. Wheels and brakes look amazing, have been rock solid for me so far. And the tires are incredible, miles better than the Primacy. Anyway, choice is good. But I love the full package.

Reactions: Maaz
Just bought it.

Question (also applies to FSD-post-purchase): do I need to inform my insurance company in case of a total?
Honestly, you are going to have to ask your insurance company about that. It is an upgrade, so it will depend. It also makes the car faster, so they may view it as a bigger risk.

They typically price a total based on the replacement cost of a similarly equipped used car with a similar trim line. So it would likely depend on how much it changes the resale, not how much you paid for it.

Again, different based on insurance company.