Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

AWD (Non P) - Will you buy the $2k "Acceleration Boost" to get 0-60 mph in 3.9s (from current 4.4s)?

• Yes, this is what I've been waiting for!

Votes: 65 7.9%
  • Yes, I want a full uncork to Stealth Performance but this is better than nothing

Votes: 220 26.7%
  • Yes, for other reasons

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • No, I only want a full uncork to Stealth Performance

Votes: 182 22.1%
  • No, I don't want or care to pay for any additional performance

Votes: 140 17.0%
  • No, for other reasons

Votes: 44 5.3%
  • I'm not a Non-P AWD owner, but just want to vote

Votes: 158 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
55 pages to read so apologies if this has been asked/answered. With the last free power unlock 5%, weren’t people getting around 3.8s-3.9s on the non-P AWD? Does this $2K upgrade get the results down to 3.3s?

Or is the conspiracy theorist in me thinking that with the 40.2 software update, they dialed back the free acceleration boost so they can rake in another $2K before year end?

55 pages to read so apologies if this has been asked/answered. With the last free power unlock 5%, weren’t people getting around 3.8s-3.9s on the non-P AWD? Does this $2K upgrade get the results down to 3.3s?

3.9 with rollout on AWD with the last free update.

This gets it down to about 3.5 (best I've seen is 3.48)

The 2k unlock also drops 1/4 mile into the 11s.... (11.8 IIRC) versus 12.2-12.3 with the last free 5% push

Or is the conspiracy theorist in me thinking that with the 40.2 software update, they dialed back the free acceleration boost so they can rake in another $2K before year end?

3.47 (1 ft) reported by @MagnusMako

• Informative
Reactions: SoCalGuy
If someone is still on the fence about buying the boost. I purchase a few min ago and took it for a test drive. I didn’t think it was that noticeable by a lot and it didn’t give me that nauseating feeling I felt test driving a performance model. If you’re on the fence save your money. Just my two cents as there’s not many reviews here to begin with. Stupid 980 vs 990.

I guess everyone has their own reaction.
I’m not sure how anyone can say it isn’t that noticeable though. Full on nausea, and very noticeable on my 3.

I'm gonna call bulls@#t in this one. There is now way that Tesla is going to make a "less" efficient motor. You're really starting to beat a dead horse here, you keep saying the same thing over and over again. I just come to this thread to hear how much everyone is enjoying the update and I've got to read through pages and pages of nonsense.

Urg!

The horse is beaten, past the glue factory and in a pile of BS long ago.

So I caved and bought it. I don't have a draggy or anything like that, but do have a canbus reader and scanmytesla. Will post some results later, but it definitely feels different. I charged up to 90% and the battery is nice and warm.

One interesting thing right off the bat is the total power reported by the canbus didn't change (still around 440 kw at 85-90% SOC and 40C battery). I was half expecting the power number to change, but who knows if that's even real.

Through the canbus it logged my first run 0-100 km/h at just over 3.9s. Again, not sure how accurate that is so take with a grain of salt.

I don't have many good places to test this, but I do feel a pretty big jump in power as I just did a couple runs around before the update, then tethered my phone, bought, and ran a few fun stomping times.

Last edited:
It’s so fast because all it’s doing is changing the CUSTOMER_PAID_2000_DOLLARS value from 0 to 1 in a config file.

That sounds about right. The fact they stated that you needed FW 2019.40 for it to work tells me that this was already loaded. A config value was changed, car rebooted( i was inside the car when it happened by itself ) and voila you get the half "Sport" map.

Disc Locked Content.

Like i mentioned above, it was a spur of the moment buy, but i already emailed Tesla for a refun . They can change that value back to 0. If they dont i just do a dispute with my CC.

I think if more people were to ask for refund, they might release a less neutered version

That sounds about right. The fact they stated that you needed FW 2019.40 for it to work tells me that this was already loaded. A config value was changed, car rebooted( i was inside the car when it happened by itself ) and voila you get the half "Sport" map.

Disc Locked Content.

Like i mentioned above, it was a spur of the moment buy, but i already emailed Tesla for a refun . They can change that value back to 0. If they dont i just do a dispute with my CC.

I think if more people were to ask for refund, they might release a less neutered version

Let me start by saying I genuinely do hope you get refund if you're not happy with the purchase. However, I think it's going to be difficult, because it said it will give you 3.9s, and it did, and it said no refunds.

So I caved and bought it. I don't have a draggy or anything like that, but do have a canbus reader and scanmytesla. Will post some results later, but it definitely feels different. I charged up to 90% and the battery is nice and warm.

One interesting thing right off the bat is the total power reported by the canbus didn't change (still around 440 kw at 85-90% SOC and 40C battery).

I think you're doing something wrong with the power readings...

440kw is almost 600 horsepower.

Others saw a power jump with this unlock, but starting at much lower base numbers than you're reporting.... (but almost identical 0-100 kph results to you)

Model 3 AWD+ (Acceleration Boost) tested from 0-160 km/h - Peak power up 11%, Peak torque up 12%, 0-60 mph in 3.78s : teslamotors

• Peak power increased from 333.2 kW (447 HP) to 370.9 kW (497 HP), an increase of 50 HP (+11.3%)

• Peak torque increased from 501.75 Nm to 564 Nm, an increase of 62 Nm (+12.4%)

• Front motor peak power increased from 139.5 kW to 175.5 kW (+25.8%) and peak torque increased from 185.5 Nm to 232.25 Nm (+25.2%)

• Rear motor peak power decreased from 231 kW to 221 kW (-4.3%) while peak torque increased from 318.5 Nm to 333 Nm (+4.5%)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: MagnusMako

Disc Locked Content.

Refund - lol Good luck! that's funny

I live (and my car is registered) in Virginia. When I bought FSD post delivery for $2k I had to pay sales tax. When I bought acceleration boost I did not. Anyone understand why that is?

Sales tax on software: a visual guide by state - Avalara

I assume that the FSD issue has to do with hardware, though I really don't know! Perhaps someone else can comment. If you already have HW3 it seems like it would be a software product. Assuming additional hardware is not required... ;)

There's a long post here towards the bottom of the page that speculates about reasons:

California sales Tax on FSD upgrade | Tesla

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Sherlo
I guess everyone has their own reaction.
I’m not sure how anyone can say it isn’t that noticeable though. Full on nausea, and very noticeable on my 3.
I felt no motion sickness the whole time I did my runs. It pulls very hard but I didn’t get excitement or grin from it. I dunno I thought it could be quicker imo, maybe I’m too spoiled by how fast awd already is. In the end I was slightly disappointed and had buyers remorse. Imo it wasn’t worth it. If this was a freebie ota like the last two I probably couldn’t tell the difference between paid and free, the launch, speed felt overall the same. Very violent but not at all nauseating. Maybe I’m driving it wrong lol. I had 80 soc, 31-35 F temp, preheated the cabin, I’m 190 pounds, no additional weight in the car. Maybe I’m fat and couldn’t feel the blood rush through my face?

This update definitely makes the SOC more important to get the maximum output. Before I couldn't tell the difference between 40% and 90%, now there is a substantial amount of difference.

Does the performance model behave the same!

Point of reference, 63 SOC...will report tomorrow at 90+

Attachments

• 66683E95-0E26-46A7-8031-C906F8486651.png
    66683E95-0E26-46A7-8031-C906F8486651.png
    266 KB · Views: 84
I felt no motion sickness the whole time I did my runs. It pulls very hard but I didn’t get excitement or grin from it. I dunno I thought it could be quicker imo, maybe I’m too spoiled by how fast awd already is. In the end I was slightly disappointed and had buyers remorse. Imo it wasn’t worth it. If this was a freebie ota like the last two I probably couldn’t tell the difference between paid and free, the launch, speed felt overall the same. Very violent but not at all nauseating. Maybe I’m driving it wrong lol. I had 80 soc, 31-35 F temp, preheated the cabin, I’m 190 pounds, no additional weight in the car. Maybe I’m fat and couldn’t feel the blood rush through my face?

Curious - have you had any previous performance oriented cars? I'm guessing you haven't and may not be sensitive to how a car feels. i say this with no offense but I don't think you were the target market if you can't feel the difference.

Reactions: phantasms

Did you ever get more info from that person on Twitter about if the LR AWD can get to a full P unlock?

I think you're doing something wrong with the power readings...

440kw is almost 600 horsepower.

Others saw a power jump with this unlock, but starting at much lower base numbers than you're reporting.... (but almost identical 0-100 kph results to you)

Model 3 AWD+ (Acceleration Boost) tested from 0-160 km/h - Peak power up 11%, Peak torque up 12%, 0-60 mph in 3.78s : teslamotors

• Peak power increased from 333.2 kW (447 HP) to 370.9 kW (497 HP), an increase of 50 HP (+11.3%)

• Peak torque increased from 501.75 Nm to 564 Nm, an increase of 62 Nm (+12.4%)

• Front motor peak power increased from 139.5 kW to 175.5 kW (+25.8%) and peak torque increased from 185.5 Nm to 232.25 Nm (+25.2%)

• Rear motor peak power decreased from 231 kW to 221 kW (-4.3%) while peak torque increased from 318.5 Nm to 333 Nm (+4.5%)
I'm not doing anything with power readings, its just what ScanMyTesla reports in the GUI, and as I said in my post I don't know how it calculates/arrives at the value, but I was expecting whatever values it gets from the canbus to show some sort of relative change pre and post update, but it did not. However, as I said it definitely feels much much faster. Also, when I did the update I got a warning that propulsion power was reduced, and the car rebooted itself (I was tethered to my phone for wifi. The car automatically rebooted, and upon its refresh I had the sport option on the driving tab for acceleration.

Some screenshots below of pre and post update.

Pre update:

Screenshot_20191219-184159.png

Screenshot_20191220-212715.png

Post update:

Screenshot_20191220-221837.png

Screenshot_20191220-224854.png

Honestly, I highly doubt these are very accurate at all. The OBD2 adaptor I'm using reports 68 packets/second, so I'm not sure how that translates to timing resolution...since the post update runs I did varied by 0.5 seconds I would say that its not very accurate at all. Also, it is a bit wet/snowy out so I dont think I was getting full traction. Before the update the car was pretty planted, but after I could definitely feel the traction control kicking in a bit on a few runs I didn't time (ended up > 4.7 seconds on those).