Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

AWD (Non P) - Will you buy the $2k "Acceleration Boost" to get 0-60 mph in 3.9s (from current 4.4s)?

• Yes, this is what I've been waiting for!

Votes: 65 7.9%
  • Yes, I want a full uncork to Stealth Performance but this is better than nothing

Votes: 220 26.7%
  • Yes, for other reasons

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • No, I only want a full uncork to Stealth Performance

Votes: 182 22.1%
  • No, I don't want or care to pay for any additional performance

Votes: 140 17.0%
  • No, for other reasons

Votes: 44 5.3%
  • I'm not a Non-P AWD owner, but just want to vote

Votes: 158 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I felt no motion sickness the whole time I did my runs. It pulls very hard but I didn’t get excitement or grin from it. I dunno I thought it could be quicker imo, maybe I’m too spoiled by how fast awd already is. In the end I was slightly disappointed and had buyers remorse. Imo it wasn’t worth it. If this was a freebie ota like the last two I probably couldn’t tell the difference between paid and free, the launch, speed felt overall the same. Very violent but not at all nauseating. Maybe I’m driving it wrong lol. I had 80 soc, 31-35 F temp, preheated the cabin, I’m 190 pounds, no additional weight in the car. Maybe I’m fat and couldn’t feel the blood rush through my face?
My P3D doesn’t nauseate me at all. It’s really not that fast especially when you’ve done Ludicrous mode runs with a P100D. But some are more sensitive than others.

That sounds about right. The fact they stated that you needed FW 2019.40 for it to work tells me that this was already loaded. A config value was changed, car rebooted( i was inside the car when it happened by itself ) and voila you get the half "Sport" map.

Disc Locked Content.

Like i mentioned above, it was a spur of the moment buy, but i already emailed Tesla for a refun . They can change that value back to 0. If they dont i just do a dispute with my CC.

I think if more people were to ask for refund, they might release a less neutered version

The site clearly states no refund yet if they don’t refund you ; you are going to launch a credit card dispute?

Really nice

Any news if the Performance is getting the acceleration boost? Or just AWD

I heard if you tap the advanced button 10 times It will now let you flash to ludicrous, for free.

The site clearly states no refund yet if they don’t refund you ; you are going to launch a credit card dispute?

Really nice

Si

Last edited:
You mean besides the last several pages with data directly from the EPA proving it?

try this one for example-

MASTER THREAD: "Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

Nope.

2018- AWD and P3D- both with same 980 rear motor measured identical efficiency to each other despite the P3D- having the P software.

The AWD 2020 (990 motor) was measured with lower efficiency than the P3D- (same car but with a 980 motor and the P software)

Again see link above for the #s from the EPA data

Now I see it. Thanks for actually providing some facts, but you were a bit misleading / unclear.

FIrst I don't like how you present it. Showed a screenshot of a giant spreadsheet with the column names covered up which made it hard to read and understand what the heck you all were saying. Took awhile to process.

You also made it sound like the 990 AWD car had less range /less efficient than the 980 AWD car, which is not the case. 2018 AWD (with 980) is less efficient than the 2020 AWD (even with 990), but as other pointed out there were improvements elsewhere that made up for this. I think this is why people got mad at you and kept going in loops back and forth with you. Although you implied that earlier, you completely lost that specific point in the post I quoted.

• Disagree
Reactions: Knightshade
That sounds about right. The fact they stated that you needed FW 2019.40 for it to work tells me that this was already loaded. A config value was changed, car rebooted( i was inside the car when it happened by itself ) and voila you get the half "Sport" map.

Disc Locked Content.

Like i mentioned above, it was a spur of the moment buy, but i already emailed Tesla for a refun . They can change that value back to 0. If they dont i just do a dispute with my CC.

I think if more people were to ask for refund, they might release a less neutered version
If you actually think you can just credit card charge back and nothing will happen to you, then oh freakin boy. Tesla knows everything about you and your car and your car is connected to the mothership 24/7. Have a fun life after your charge back lol

• Funny
Reactions: Skione65
Did you ever get more info from that person on Twitter about if the LR AWD can get to a full P unlock?

I checked up on that twitter thread (see here) and there's some interesting findings in the code he uncovered.

Notable is this little snippet below (link to specific tweet discussion of this part here). Deciphering just what it means is anyone's guess but it's interesting nonetheless. Perhaps it shows Tesla may be planning to eventually implement Ludicrous Mode into the 3? One can hope it finally shows up.

EMQ_f9EW4AAwM7t.png

Last edited:
I checked up on that twitter thread (see here) and there's some interesting findings in the code he uncovered.

Notable is this little snippet below (link to specific tweet discussion of this part here). Deciphering just what it means is anyone's guess but it's interesting nonetheless. Perhaps it shows Tesla may be planning to eventually implement Ludicrous Mode into the 3? One can hope it finally shows up.

View attachment 490947

Ludicrous Mode

View attachment 490947
So based on the header of the values being labeled performance package maybe this means:

Base: P3D-/AWD no acceleration upgrade
Performance: P3D+ no ludicrous upgrade
Ludicrous: P3D+ with ludicrous upgrade
Base plus: P3D- with acceleration upgrade
Base plus AWD: AWD with acceleration upgrade

So, that would mean all dual motor variants will get bumps, and there will still be differential performance between the tiers. Ie, only full performance will have the ability to add ludicrous, which would give a good reason to get that and not a P3D-

Obviously, pure speculation, but it doesn't seem that 'base' would refer to the RWD variants.

Reactions: MagnusMako
IF you have not yet taken delivery of your Long Range AWD car yet, see if your SA can find you a Stealth Long Range Performance model (on 18" or 19" wheels) for the SAME $2000 spent. The Stealth Performance will give you even MORE performance than this Acceleration upgrade for the same money.

This. If they cut the price in half or update the performance to match the stealth for 2K, then it will be worth it, imo.

Reactions: omkar and mrau
This. If they cut the price in half or update the performance to match the stealth for 2K, then it will be worth it, imo.

The more I've contemplated this upgrade, the more I agree.

To play devil's advocate on how much it costs for this power in an ICE car. In a NA car, sure. But in a boosted car (turbocharged), a tune (from APR on vw/audi cars for example) is generally $800 or less and gives you the same level of % increase in hp and tq.

I believe this should've been $1000, while $2000 or $2500 could've represented an upgrade to actual stealth performance. If the increase in power netted the 3.2, I would've already bought it because its not like you're sinking money - to me, that legitimately increases the value of the car because you then basically have a stealth performance car.

As of now, i'm not purchasing it because the times I'm actually gunning it to achieve that level of "satisfaction" is so slim. And I'm someone who likes performance. It's really just a bragging rights thing, and bleh, check the ego. Also laughing at you badge whores who want a badge for your purchase, cmon now lol. I'd encourage people to take your $2000 and buy winter wheels/tires and then summer tires - this will be true legit performance you feel all the time.

Now I see it. Thanks for actually providing some facts, but you were a bit misleading / unclear.

FIrst I don't like how you present it. Showed a screenshot of a giant spreadsheet with the column names covered up

Huh?

First- it's not even my picture, as I cited it's from alansubie...

Second- the column names aren't covered at all. Here's one of the same images, I circled the clearly visible column names in blue here.

heading.jpg

You also made it sound like the 990 AWD car had less range /less efficient than the 980 AWD car, which is not the case.

No, I did not.

I said that in 2018 both AWD and P had a 980 and they had exactly the same efficiency

And that in 2020 the AWD and P, with the only hardware difference since 2018 being the AWD now has a 990 while the P still has a 980, the 990 in the AWD is less efficient than the 980 in the P.

Therefore we can conclude the 990 is not only a different motor than the 980- it's a less efficient motor- as there's otherwise no reason the #s wouldn't still be identical as in 2018.

Which just reinforces the fact the 990 must also be a cheaper motor AND incapable of handling full P power.

Tesla wouldn't put a less efficient motor in the car if it wasn't saving them money... and if it WAS saving them money AND could handle full P power- they'd be putting it in the P.

• Disagree
Reactions: EfficientWatts
The more I've contemplated this upgrade, the more I agree.

To play devil's advocate on how much it costs for this power in an ICE car. In a NA car, sure. But in a boosted car (turbocharged), a tune (from APR on vw/audi cars for example) is generally $800 or less and gives you the same level of % increase in hp and tq.

I believe this should've been $1000, while $2000 or $2500 could've represented an upgrade to actual stealth performance. If the increase in power netted the 3.2, I would've already bought it because its not like you're sinking money - to me, that legitimately increases the value of the car because you then basically have a stealth performance car.

As of now, i'm not purchasing it because the times I'm actually gunning it to achieve that level of "satisfaction" is so slim. And I'm someone who likes performance. It's really just a bragging rights thing, and bleh, check the ego. Also laughing at you badge whores who want a badge for your purchase, cmon now lol. I'd encourage people to take your $2000 and buy winter wheels/tires and then summer tires - this will be true legit performance you feel all the time.
Would that $800 tune get you down to a high 11 sec 1/4mile? Would that tune get you down to a 3.9 or less 0-60? Will that tune keep your warranty?
As it sits now no one can tune your tesla,yet. So this is it. A tune from tesla,and all you have to do is press a button to get it. It truly is a good deal.