Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

AWD (Non P) - Will you buy the $2k "Acceleration Boost" to get 0-60 mph in 3.9s (from current 4.4s)?

• Yes, this is what I've been waiting for!

Votes: 65 7.9%
  • Yes, I want a full uncork to Stealth Performance but this is better than nothing

Votes: 220 26.7%
  • Yes, for other reasons

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • No, I only want a full uncork to Stealth Performance

Votes: 182 22.1%
  • No, I don't want or care to pay for any additional performance

Votes: 140 17.0%
  • No, for other reasons

Votes: 44 5.3%
  • I'm not a Non-P AWD owner, but just want to vote

Votes: 158 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Granted I’ve seen only one comparison between a “sport” AWD and “standard” AWD, but I’d be interested in how the comparison would be at closer to 40-60% SoC (not at 90ish%) I’d like to know that the gains are across a broad SoC range, and not just unlocked at say above 80%...
FWIW, I tested today at 58% SOC and measured 4.02 s 0-100 km/h in one run, and 4.4s in 2 more. My battery temp was only 13C and the roads were a bit wet so probably some slippage on the slower runs.

I previously measured between 3.6-3.9s 0-100 at 85 SOC and 40C battery so the combination of lower SOC and battery temp looks like about 0.4-0.5s slower.

This testing is just though the canbus polling so probably has much larger error bars than a draggy.

Also worth noting even today the car seems faster than before the update. Hopefully some vids will drop soon showing a visual comparison.

It would be nice to have an easy way to warm up the battery (I think track mode does this). Presumably you could fake it by putting a SCdestination into the navigation system and letting the pre heat do its thing but perhaps track mode does it faster?

Reactions: M109Rider
Another thing I've been pondering:

Seems like efficiency would go down a bit since it's easier to produce more power. Wondering if others feel the same, but I think I'm seeing worse efficiency now (though not too concerned about it...). It will be better than a P anyway.

But here's my actual thought: I'd expect that a future update drops where we can select chill, standard, or sport driving styles to mitigate this. It was probably done this way (chill, sport only) because then it was just a config change and no change to the GUI which would be a bigger software change.

Curious what 'yawl think about that theory. To me, I would use the standard option and go into sport when I want to have extra fun by having a different driver profile I can easily swap to.

Yup. Did it on day one and no regrets. Been wanting this for a long time and glad it came. Car feel like it woke up or if you every driven a boosted car....it feels like you downshifted and cruising on the freeway.

Just. wants. to. go.

Wifey looked at me and asked...do you REALLY need to go 90 mph cruising? I'm thinking in my head....yes dear.......yes i do.

Yup. Did it on day one and no regrets. Been wanting this for a long time and glad it came. Car feel like it woke up or if you every driven a boosted car....it feels like you downshifted and cruising on the freeway.

Just. wants. to. go.

Wifey looked at me and asked...do you REALLY need to go 90 mph cruising? I'm thinking in my head....yes dear.......yes i do.
Night one here as well!

Ha!

Just. wants. to. go.

Facing that dilemma now too where the wife says This car is so fast already!, and I’m thinking yeah but yeah but, and then get stuck coming up with an argument to buy the AB :)

Reactions: Gordon87
AP/FSD accelerates very conservatively, no matter what the drive setting is at. Logically, this maximizes battery range and is safer, particularly for an automated drive.
I have the P. I surprised at how hard it pulls off the line to catch back up. Hence my questioning the effects. I also compare it to a 4, 6 or 8 cylinder on cruise control. One would always downshift while the other has the torque and does not. Just thinking out loud.

Just. wants. to. go.

Cruise and AP kicks out at 90 (91 actually) and punishes you for trying to go faster.

<snip>
It would be nice to have an easy way to warm up the battery (I think track mode does this). Presumably you could fake it by putting a SCdestination into the navigation system and letting the pre heat do its thing but perhaps track mode does it faster?
Track mode actually cools the battery to take the extra heat load from the motors.

Has anyone noticed after the acceleration boost a difference in how the car rides? I did purchase it, now notice it is not nearly as smooth as it was. Even if I change acceleration back to chill. Not sure if this is just in my head...

I am not sure if they alter the accelerator pedal sensitivity with the Boost upgrade but I noticed there is a different curve between my SR+ and MP3. One of the tricks they play is to command a lot more throttle with less pedal movement so it feels like you barely touch the pedal and you get a lot of acceleration. This make the car feel more jumpy and eager but on the flip side is could feel less smooth.

On the SR+ the pedal feels more linear. On my 3P I feel like I can get 90% of the throttle out of 50% pedal movement. Lots of newer vehicles have drive by wire accelerators now. In my Corvette the throttle response felt lazy (25% pedal would feel like 10% throttle). You can buy an aftermarket gizmo that you plug into the accelerator pedal and turn a dial to get the throttle response curve you prefer. It would be nice if Tesla would expose some of the tuning of the throttle response so we can select our preference. You see this programmed into "drive modes" in some ICE based vehicles.