Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

AWD (Non P) - Will you buy the $2k "Acceleration Boost" to get 0-60 mph in 3.9s (from current 4.4s)?

• Yes, this is what I've been waiting for!

Votes: 65 7.9%
  • Yes, I want a full uncork to Stealth Performance but this is better than nothing

Votes: 220 26.7%
  • Yes, for other reasons

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • No, I only want a full uncork to Stealth Performance

Votes: 182 22.1%
  • No, I don't want or care to pay for any additional performance

Votes: 140 17.0%
  • No, for other reasons

Votes: 44 5.3%
  • I'm not a Non-P AWD owner, but just want to vote

Votes: 158 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Doesn't the comparison/option set kind of go something like this?

Existing LR AWD Owner: Three options; 1) Trade up to P and take a financial bath, 2) buy the Boost for $2000 and enjoy (AWD+), and 3) Enjoy what you have "as is" for no extra cost.

Existing P Owner: Continue to enjoy fastest 3 bragging rights, and in some cases, experience higher insurance premiums. Lobby Tesla for a P Boost or Ludicrous speed option as the LR AWD community did for the last six+ months

Deciding to buy new AWD or P future owner: Buy LR AWD for "X," Buy Stealth for "X+ $2000" (and likely experience higher insurance premiums than AWD or AWD+), Buy LR AWD and Boost AWD+ for "X + $2000," and lastly, buy full P3D+ for what, "X+$6000" (and likely experience higher insurance premiums than AWD or AWD+)

Last edited:
This is pretty consistent with my experiences with LA lawyers...

As a lawyer maybe you could provide something to back up your strongly held opinions?

:)
LOGIC AND COMMON SENSE. Do you really believe they will cannibalize the P market AND piss off all the current P owners? If so, I have a bridge in Brooklyn I can sell you really cheap.

NEVER GONNA HAPPEN!

Reactions: Watts 4 Me

This cements in my mind that if you have a LR AWD model, the upgrade is well, well worth the $2k if you want more performance without trading the car in and taking a massive hit toward a 3P.

Saying that, I'm in some ways surprised that Tesla is allowing the LR AWD model to get as close to the P as it does - in terms of power. And you know that means the 3P should get a performance boost!

But... maybe Tesla doesn't bother and just releases a new Model 3 Performance with the 100kWh battery rumored that just batters all of the existing Model 3s?

Does the performance model 3 really bring higher insurance premiums than the AWD Model 3? The VIN numbers (at least for 2018) are no different for performance vs. AWD? (My insurance company sees my AWD as a' performance').

Doesn't the comparison/option set kind of go something like this?

Existing LR AWD Owner: Three options; 1) Trade up to P and take a financial bath, 2) buy the Boost for $2000 and enjoy (AWD+), and 3) Enjoy what you have "as is" for no extra cost.

Existing P Owner: Continue to enjoy fastest 3 bragging rights, and in some cases, experience higher insurance premiums. Lobby Tesla for a P Boost or Ludicrous speed option as the LR AWD community did for the last six+ months

Deciding to buy new AWD or P future owner: Buy LR AWD for "X," Buy Stealth for "X+ $2000" (and likely experience higher insurance premiums than AWD or AWD+), Buy LR AWD and Boost AWD+ for "X + $2000," and lastly, buy full P3D+ for what, "X+$6000" (and likely experience higher insurance premiums than AWD or AWD+)

Reactions: MattUNI
Even though I'm a P owner, I'm still envious that you guys got a fun power boost. Come on, Elon! Give us P owners a fun power boost! TAKE MAH MONEH!

The P is already ridiculously quick below 60mph. I am only interested in a boost if they can give us more power in the 60+ mph range. It would be nice to see a P complete the 1/4 mile in the low 11s and pull harder at highway speeds. Without gearing I am not sure how much improvement is left on the table though.

Reactions: Apprunner
The P is already ridiculously quick below 60mph. I am only interested in a boost if they can give us more power in the 60+ mph range. It would be nice to see a P complete the 1/4 mile in the low 11s and pull harder at highway speeds. Without gearing I am not sure how much improvement is left on the table though.
I agree. Don’t really see the point of faster 0-60. I’d like a little better passing power at 100mph.

LOGIC AND COMMON SENSE. Do you really believe they will cannibalize the P market AND piss off all the current P owners? If so, I have a bridge in Brooklyn I can sell you really cheap.

NEVER GONNA HAPPEN!

Selling stealth performance cars for $2k more than AWD nukes your logic.

And I’ve never heard that Brooklyn bridge thing before.

Keep rocking ALL CAPS BRO.

I agree. Don’t really see the point of faster 0-60. I’d like a little better passing power at 100mph.

I am with you. 0-60mph is 3 sec is actually uncomfortable. Point it straight, head back against headrest and launch. Fun like a roller coaster but I only rocket off the line once in a while. With lack of gearing the torque is disproportionate once at highways speeds. I wonder how the Porsche Tycan feels at higher speed with its 2-speed transmission. Sure it adds more weight and add some complexity but I wonder if it is worth the trade off.

I love torquey motors but I also don’t want them to fall flat on their face at higher speeds.

This cements in my mind that if you have a LR AWD model, the upgrade is well, well worth the $2k if you want more performance without trading the car in and taking a massive hit toward a 3P.

Saying that, I'm in some ways surprised that Tesla is allowing the LR AWD model to get as close to the P as it does - in terms of power. And you know that means the 3P should get a performance boost!

But... maybe Tesla doesn't bother and just releases a new Model 3 Performance with the 100kWh battery rumored that just batters all of the existing Model 3s?

Agree on the video. I still am inclined to wait a bit and see what, if anything, Tesla does for the P owners.

sarcasm. bro.

and c’mon, arguing with lawyers is the best.

:)