Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceleration boost upgrade, no software update needed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This evening, I decided to take the plunge, and purchased the acceleration boost upgrade on my phone for my 2022 M3LR. For context, my vehicle sits in my apartment building’s parking garage (no Wi-Fi). When a software update is needed I typically let the car take care of itself while I’m at work as my office as my parking space is in range of my company’s Wi-Fi network. In the past I have connected the car to my iPhone’s data connection via tethering, but rarely.

Back to tonight - I purchase the upgrade and, obviously, am eager to experience the fruits of the damage to my credit card. I get in the car and connect it to my iPhone’s data connection. After a few seconds of the car’s data symbol indicating I’m on Wi-Fi, I start puttering through the settings to see if there’s an available software update. Nothing is showing as available. When selecting the drive settings, I notice that the car’s acceleration setting now has “sport” available (an indicator that the acceleration boost package has been enabled).

Strange, right? As the car hasn’t had a software update since I purchased the upgrade 4-5 minutes ago on my phone.

I check the “software” tab and the vehicle indicates “acceleration boost” package being enabled.

Huh.

I take the car out for a spin and - woah - yes the car is unquestionably accelerating faster!!

What gives?

Perhaps a recent software update placed the upgrade in a local folder, to make the purchase experience quicker, so that the car only had to receive an “unlock signal” from Tesla’s servers once the purchase has successfully executed? The app on my phone did show a disclaimer that the car may take several hours for the software to upgrade itself. But - no update took place.

This evening, I decided to take the plunge, and purchased the acceleration boost upgrade on my phone for my 2022 M3LR. For context, my vehicle sits in my apartment building’s parking garage (no Wi-Fi). When a software update is needed I typically let the car take care of itself while I’m at work as my office as my parking space is in range of my company’s Wi-Fi network. In the past I have connected the car to my iPhone’s data connection via tethering, but rarely.

Back to tonight - I purchase the upgrade and, obviously, am eager to experience the fruits of the damage to my credit card. I get in the car and connect it to my iPhone’s data connection. After a few seconds of the car’s data symbol indicating I’m on Wi-Fi, I start puttering through the settings to see if there’s an available software update. Nothing is showing as available. When selecting the drive settings, I notice that the car’s acceleration setting now has “sport” available (an indicator that the acceleration boost package has been enabled).

Strange, right? As the car hasn’t had a software update since I purchased the upgrade 4-5 minutes ago on my phone.

I check the “software” tab and the vehicle indicates “acceleration boost” package being enabled.

Huh.

I take the car out for a spin and - woah - yes the car is unquestionably accelerating faster!!

What gives?

Perhaps a recent software update placed the upgrade in a local folder, to make the purchase experience quicker, so that the car only had to receive an “unlock signal” from Tesla’s servers once the purchase has successfully executed? The app on my phone did show a disclaimer that the car may take several hours for the software to upgrade itself. But - no update took place.
I’m guessing they “unlocked” your acceleration boost by cellular within the car. I’ve been contemplating getting that feature. I have the LR but it’s already so fast lol

Fellow (awaiting upon delivery) Tesla owner that lives in an apartment. What is your charging situation like? Apologies for not having an answe to your direct issue, but haven’t seen many posts regarding charging situations outside of home ownership.

Reactions: DaPlugg
Fellow (awaiting upon delivery) Tesla owner that lives in an apartment. What is your charging situation like? Apologies for not having an answe to your direct issue, but haven’t seen many posts regarding charging situations outside of home ownership.
no worries! luckily the building where i live (downtown LA) has charging spaces on every floor. It’s a 4-story garage with ~30 spaces per floor, each floor has 4 electrified spaces. the vendor is ChargePoint. Our building charges $140/month for a space, but luckily enough, there’s no extra fee for an electrified space and ChargePoint also charges no fee. Free charging. it’s a level 2 charger; the car shows 32Amps when charging and yields 20-30mi/hr.

if the building (or chargepoint) charged a fee, i would still have bought the car. if the ability to charge at home wasn’t possible… the purchase would have been a much more complicated decision. charging at a supercharger is of course similar to driving an ICE vehicle but as we all know, Teslas like to be plugged in all the time.

Reactions: Bouba and PushinT
If you live an apt without charging then you’ll have to rely on superchargers in your area and level 2 chargers in your area.

I like the PlugShare app to find lvl 2 chargers.

Huh.

What gives?

It's just a flag that's enabled
It's been there dormant since the acceleration boost was officially announced on all cars that support it
Patiently biding it's time, taunting you, tempting you, waiting for you to accept the inevitable

I’m trying to be patient and waiting until I upgrade as I’ve only had the car two weeks. It’s probably the best upswell ever and the easiest way of unlocking performance within warranty and getting a third party to flash the software.

To be fair, if it came with that power as standard it would be harder to justify the P version to customers.

Personally, I don’t mind and @Ecoli i agree, every time I get in I have to avoid the temptation of purchasing it…

It's just a flag that's enabled
It's been there dormant since the acceleration boost was officially announced on all cars that support it
Patiently biding it's time, taunting you, tempting you, waiting for you to accept the inevitable
Right, that’s the only explanation. A pleasant surprise, but a surprise all the same as videos i’ve watched of past boost-purchasers have required a more substantial software upgrade inbetween the actual purchase the boost taking effect.