Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceleration Shudder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The fix is now available. Service Bulletin SB-19-39-001 R2 Dated 25 June 2019 applies and is a replacement of LH front drive unit Clovis mount and both front halfshaft. Applicable to all MX & MS 2014-2019 (before May 2019)

That's interesting. I haven't experienced the shudder problem (yet) on my 2018 MX but might ask for this update at next service while still in warranty. But I presume it won't be an official recall fix.

That's interesting. I haven't experienced the shudder problem (yet) on my 2018 MX but might ask for this update at next service while still in warranty. But I presume it won't be an official recall fix.
You can always ask of course, but I doubt you will get it if you are not experiencing the problem. The procedure is to test your car first and if they don't see a problem, you are unlikely to get the replacement. Never hurts to ask. You might get lucky. And right, it is not a recall.

• Informative
Reactions: FlyF4
You can always ask of course, but I doubt you will get it if you are not experiencing the problem. The procedure is to test your car first and if they don't see a problem, you are unlikely to get the replacement. Never hurts to ask. You might get lucky. And right, it is not a recall.

But that’s pretty easy to replicate. SCs recommendation to avoid shudder was to put it in Low and reduce acceleration. So wouldn’t putting it in High and doing repeated launches cause the shudder?

Abuse for warranty is a concern though...

• Helpful
:)
But that’s pretty easy to replicate. SCs recommendation to avoid shudder was to put it in Low and reduce acceleration. So wouldn’t putting it in High and doing repeated launches cause the shudder?

Abuse for warranty is a concern though...
Yea, good point. I have heard where some SCs will say to put the car in low to lessen the issue of shutter. (not my idea of a solution on an expensive car like this). However, the mobile tech is directed to put the car in Standard height and try the acceleration to determine if it is a problem. I don't know about putting it in high and trying to cause the problem. Not something I would try, but I suppose it might cause the problem. I'm sure there are carrying opinions about this. My son's 2017 X doesn't have this issue and can't replicate it in standard height, but it seems to be a problem on a lot of cars as you know.

• Informative
The fix is now available. Service Bulletin SB-19-39-001 R2 Dated 25 June 2019 applies and is a replacement of LH front drive unit Clovis mount and both front halfshaft. Applicable to all MX & MS 2014-2019 (before May 2019)
Thank you for that detail. I couldn't find a link to the actual TSB. Would love to hear if anyone else who is Out of Warranty has managed to get this covered as a warranty service since the problem started while under warranty.

Read the service bulletin. There is a link on a Model S thread.

From my local copy:
"
Condition
Older versions of the Model S and Model X LH front drive unit clevis mount contain a bushing that allows the front drive
unit to move side-to-side more than expected during hard accelerations, resulting in excessive vibrations coming from the
front drive unit during hard acceleration. This is exclusively an NVH issue and does not otherwise affect steering
functionality, braking, or acceleration.
Correction
An updated LH front drive unit clevis mount with an improved bushing is available which mitigates the condition. Upon
customer complaint, inspect the vehicle for excessive vibrations coming from the front drive unit during hard acceleration.
If the condition is present, update the LH front drive unit clevis mount and replace both front drive unit halfshafts."

This is exclusively an NVH issue and does not otherwise affect steering functionality, braking, or acceleration.
What a load of crap. At least they fixed it, but the vibration most certainly causes loss of traction in some scenarios, and that obviously affects acceleration given that traction control is pretty much necessary for peak acceleration with that much instant power.

I have the shudder and I guarantee this has nothing to do with air under the car. If the ride height has an impact it is because of the geometry of the axles. Once I wasn't even accelerating hard at all and got a very severe shudder at 30 MPH. It was so bad I slowed the car. It has not returned, but I still have what I assume is the "regular" shudder that doesn't feel like a wheel is coming off.

True, but you can set the car to "always low" and if the shudder is still there, I would contact Tesla for that.

But as said, for me this helps. Anyway Tesla should give an explanation for this, for everybody.

The fix also requires a wheel alignment be done.

I have had my X for just over a year, with 21,000 miles on it. I just received my 22-inch referral wheels within the last two weeks, and thought I should at least get an alignment done. Scheduled it but changed my mind, and decided to get the two year service done instead. The car has not been in for any service whatsoever in the year I have had it.

I took it in yesterday. The service advisor basically talked me out of the two year service "Brake fluid if you need it, cabin air filter if you need it, wipers if need it, but hardly anyone ever does." I said okay, i still want an alignment. He advised $175 for that. Ok, sounding better. But then I asked about the shudder problem (I've had that for quite a while). He said, "oh yeah there was just a service bulletin on that, and I am sure we have the parts. And guess what, that fix includes an alignment!"

So I went in for the SC appointment expecting to spend $750 for the 2 year service, but came out to $0 because the shudder fix included the alignment I needed. How many BMW/Lexus/Mercedes/other service departments would send you out the door for free, especially when I was ready to shell out $750

Suhweet!

Just picked up the car two hours ago. The shudder is complete gone, and I have a clean alignment.

The only problem I still have is the yellow ringed center display. My SC does not have the tool to fix that yet. I also have the yellow ring around the ICD, which apparently the aforementioned tool will not fix. But the ICD is not nearly as obnoxious.

I may be mistaken but I think the current service bulletin is the 3rd design fix iteration for this issue.

My 2016 X90D has exhibited a pronounced shudder at 40-42 mph only when accelerating aggressively. Since I rarely have occasion to accelerate aggressively, I let it go until my recent 3rd annual service visit. At that time our newly established local service center was not equipped to perform the work and also needed to order the parts. They notified me a couple of weeks ago that they were ready. The fix was installed this past week along with a windshield wiper check valve replacement per a service bulletin. It took them 3 days. The car is now perfect.

I may be mistaken but I think the current service bulletin is the 3rd design fix iteration for this issue.

My 2016 X90D has exhibited a pronounced shudder at 40-42 mph only when accelerating aggressively. Since I rarely have occasion to accelerate aggressively, I let it go until my recent 3rd annual service visit. At that time our newly established local service center was not equipped to perform the work and also needed to order the parts. They notified me a couple of weeks ago that they were ready. The fix was installed this past week along with a windshield wiper check valve replacement per a service bulletin. It took them 3 days. The car is now perfect.
It sounds like they didn't really have the parts on hand when they said. Else those tasks would have been done in half a day, I've noticed this happens often at some centers where no one really checks a day ahead of time to see if they have everything ready for the visit. You go in and find out they aren't ready. Best to call ahead and confirm, else waste your time. Also, this is the first time I have noticed that the clevis mount replacement is a part of the task.

Did they let you a loaner during those three days ?