Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceleration Shudder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Shudder on my X is showing up now after half shaft change at around 7K miles. Right now I have around 13K miles and vibrates quite noticeably while accelerating on a slightly uphill terrain. Service Center reply to this is "within tolerance" BS. I am sure it will become worse and going to make them fix it again or escalate the issue. I always drive in low and tire wear is even. Occasionally, based on location the suspension went higher and thereafter upon normal acceleration the car shuddered. Maybe this caused the issue to appear again.

Reactions: DriverOne
Has Tesla rigged the X suspension to drop down to - & auto/continually default to low, no matter how many times you reset it & reset & reset again? Or am i just resetting the default 'normal' height wrong. My better ½ would much rather run in chill to avoid shudder, than to have her horizon / view blocked ever so little, by having the car sit lower - so she says. But the suspension just seems to keep re-setting to default lower.

I'm in low always (except in geolocated raised spots) and generally don't find it to be an issue. But I'm taking a week long camping trip starting next Sunday and we'll see how it does when pulling. It was very noticeable last trip, partly because tow mode requires suspension be set to "Normal" - and maybe partly because of the additional load.

SC told me today only some cars have it when suspension is set to standard though somehow it is normal. and to be expected They couldn't explain why it didn't do it when I bought the car nor when they replaced the half shaft last time I moaned about it. They weren't particularly impressed that the three other people I know who have an X also have the problem as did the loaner they gave me while they looked at the problem.

Not impressed with service at the moment. They missed out three things I asked them to fix and broke my charge port light.

SC told me today only some cars have it when suspension is set to standard though somehow it is normal. and to be expected They couldn't explain why it didn't do it when I bought the car nor when they replaced the half shaft last time I moaned about it. They weren't particularly impressed that the three other people I know who have an X also have the problem as did the loaner they gave me while they looked at the problem.

Not impressed with service at the moment. They missed out three things I asked them to fix and broke my charge port light.

Just quote them this from one of the other repair invoices above:

"Road tested vehicle in order to diagnose shudder feel when accelerating and turning. Found shudder present at higher suspension heights and when under heavy acceleration. Tesla is aware of this issue and we are currently working on a permanent solution to this shudder issue. Issue is not causing the vehicle to be unsafe to be driven."

Shudder on my X is showing up now after half shaft change at around 7K miles. Right now I have around 13K miles and vibrates quite noticeably while accelerating on a slightly uphill terrain. Service Center reply to this is "within tolerance" BS. I am sure it will become worse and going to make them fix it again or escalate the issue. I always drive in low and tire wear is even. Occasionally, based on location the suspension went higher and thereafter upon normal acceleration the car shuddered. Maybe this caused the issue to appear again.
Well, after escalating to Executive level, SC changed my axles again. I am not going to use geo based higher suspension setting going forward. We will see how long it lasts this time.

Was there a particular issue where geotagged suspension height caused issues? I was thinking about doing that when I get my car for my neighborhood and other areas around town depending.

I took that approach on the last set of axles. No geotagged suspension points. No acceleration beyond mild unless steering wheel straight and suspension on low. Set to "low" at "any speed".

Made no difference. Came back faster this time than all previous times...6K miles 3K of which was a long freeway road trip. Whatever is destroying the cv splines is something else that is getting worse over time.

Hello all... I thought I would jump in here with my recent acceleration shudder experience.

2017 inventory Model S 100D, purchased November, 2017 with 1,100 miles. Was used for test drive.

I started to notice a slight vibration / shudder on heavy acceleration around 10k miles.

When I arrived at the SC for an unrelated matter, I casually mentioned it. The SA simply said “let me see if we have the parts” as he walked back to the parts department. He came back a few minutes later and said they have the parts and that they’d get it sorted out.

Got a call at 5pm stating that the car was ready.

They replaced both front half shafts.

I’m somewhat surprised at how easy it was; I was expecting a fight.

Anyhow, no more vibration / shudder.

Reactions: J-Peters
So it’s a recurring issue?
Based on the reports in this thread, yes. Replacing the half shafts is a stop-gap until they wear similarly to your last ones. Most of us are hoping they come up with a more permanent solution. I haven't had the half shafts replaced because I'm waiting for something more comprehensive.. but who knows when or if that'll come?

Reactions: Cowby
Shudder was extremely pronounced on my recent towing trip. It even shook at constant highway speeds. I do need new tires and plan to replace those, but this had the distinct signature of the X shudder. Once the tires are replaced I’ll reassess and probably request new half shafts, even though I was hoping for a more permanent solution.

It’s pretty disappointing.

• Informative
Reactions: Cowby