Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceleration Shudder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sad news folks. As stated running the X on LOW setting wears our your tires in about 19,000 miles. Had a Continental blow out while running on LOW. It was not a pretty site. Steel all over. Pressed the edge of the limit when TESLA flat bed towed me 48 miles. BTW. Continenntal did not honor warranty. Hate Continental, Love Pirelli All Season Verde. Have 20K miles on a pair and they are still at a 7 tire rating. Guaranteed 60,000 miles!

The WORST news is this! Drove an out of the box 2019 MODEL X yesterday with 167 miles on it. It had adaptive leveling. Max acceleration from 0 and guess what.? You guessed it. SHUDDERED like a wet dog shakin'. Even the salesman experienced it - for the first time.

Ordered a new Model X yesterday and hope the Engineers have worked out the SHUDDER on the Performance Ludicrous Mode. Come on engineers. Adaptive leveling is nice, but you've had three years to fix the damn shudder.

Let's see to take off from a light next to a Corvette, first you need to lower the suspension to LOW, then you need to ENGAGE the LUDICROUS mode, then you need to wait 30 min for the battery to warm up and by the time you look up you are racing a Prius!

I just picked up my Model X from the service center and they said they've stopped replacing the half axles until the factory can figure out what the root cause is. Their suspicion is a firmware issue introduced in a past update.

Sad news folks. As stated running the X on LOW setting wears our your tires in about 19,000 miles. Had a Continental blow out while running on LOW. It was not a pretty site. Steel all over. Pressed the edge of the limit when TESLA flat bed towed me 48 miles. BTW. Continenntal did not honor warranty. Hate Continental, Love Pirelli All Season Verde. Have 20K miles on a pair and they are still at a 7 tire rating. Guaranteed 60,000 miles!

The WORST news is this! Drove an out of the box 2019 MODEL X yesterday with 167 miles on it. It had adaptive leveling. Max acceleration from 0 and guess what.? You guessed it. SHUDDERED like a wet dog shakin'. Even the salesman experienced it - for the first time.

Ordered a new Model X yesterday and hope the Engineers have worked out the SHUDDER on the Performance Ludicrous Mode. Come on engineers. Adaptive leveling is nice, but you've had three years to fix the damn shudder.

Let's see to take off from a light next to a Corvette, first you need to lower the suspension to LOW, then you need to ENGAGE the LUDICROUS mode, then you need to wait 30 min for the battery to warm up and by the time you look up you are racing a Prius!

was it the performance model X with Ludacris? that you drove? or regular 100D for the one with adaptive leveling

I had my plastic airsuspension brackets replaced with adjustable metal ones by Baan Velgen. The car is much lower now. Shudder is gone. No change in function or comfort. See pictures for all heights after replacement.

View attachment 408817 View attachment 408818 View attachment 408819 View attachment 408820 View attachment 408821 View attachment 408822 View attachment 408823 View attachment 408824 View attachment 408825View attachment 408828
Did you just bring to a local repair shop for the swap or tesla specific one or Tesla?

• Helpful
Reactions: Cowby

I had the same experience ...pre-Raven 800 miles , on a 2019 X 100D loaner

Front brackets are very easy to access. Rear might need a lift and a wheel off to be able to see it. Although I adjusted and remounted them on the back blindly.

20190531_084933.jpg

Here is a new recent update for older "non refreshed" model S/X regarding the suspension issues

Acceleration shudder | Tesla

looks like unless you have the new refreshed "ravel" model S/X, the older version of suspension will likely to encounter issues down the road until Tesla finds a permanent fix. Of course you can always do after market modification to strengthen the current load on the suspension components.

Here is a new recent update for older "non refreshed" model S/X regarding the suspension issues

looks like unless you have the new refreshed "ravel" model S/X, the older version of suspension will likely to encounter issues down the road until Tesla finds a permanent fix. Of course you can always do after market modification to strengthen the current load on the suspension components.

See my post in the other shudder thread. It correlates with what you posted. Tesla has a new motor mount fix that is supposed to help -

News for Model X owners with the dreaded shudder

Could you please describe these aftermarket items?

Hate Continental, Love Pirelli All Season Verde. Have 20K miles on a pair and they are still at a 7 tire rating. Guaranteed 60,000 miles!
Yup I got the same Pirelli tires on my MX and love them. Maybe I am just getting more deaf, but they seem quieter even without the foam. Yea I know those Continental tires make more noise when then wear down a but, not the comparison I'm making.
I guess you know you won't get 60K miles with a heavy Tesla, but those tires do have more tread than the original Continentals and it appears I will get a lot more mileage out of them. The Pirellis probably also cost you less money.