Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceleration Shudder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Taking my MX in to fix the "Shudder" on 7/31( 100D delivered 6/18, 13 K miles). Had air suspension compressor randomly fail at 12K miles and replaced last month. Noticed acceleration shudder and high speed shimmy after that. Had alignment checked, wheels and tires checked, road force balanced all around and both still present. Took it to SC and tech confirmed the issue on a test drive. Hopefully the new "fix" will work. Haven't seen the actual Tesla Service Bulletin posted on this thread. Here is a link to it:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10162295-9999.pdf

• Informative
Reactions: Cowby
I got called yesterday to have the new parts installed to fix this issue! Unfortunately, its in the body shop because some kid skidded down our rear bumper pulling out of a parking spot. So we have it scheduled for 2 weeks from now. I was happy they actually called me on getting this issue fixed after we reported it several months ago!

Reactions: alloverx
Our 2016 90D X has experienced this issue as well, to the point where I was avoiding hard acceleration. I scheduled a service visit specifically for this, and stated in the app that I needed the new clovis mount. However, when I got to the SC, the tech couldn't reproduce it, and neither could I despite repeating at least what I thought had induced it many times before. It was frustrating. Tech said that they wouldn't replace the part if they couldn't demonstrate it on the test drive. Suspension was in 'standard' setting, (I almost never drive in High or Very High).

I know that some forum members have said it tends to happen when the car hasn't been driven, and the SC is about 20 miles from my house so the car was definitely 'warmed up' when I got there.

I feel like I wasted 3-4 hours of my time this morning, and think it's not unreasonable to expect that Tesla should inform customers that they won't replace the parts if they can't reproduce the issue. I'm quite sure that I will encounter it again, but not willing to risk taking it back in and end up wasting more of my time.

So beware, unless you get the shudder 100% of the time, it could be a crapshoot if you take your car in for this specific fix.

I know that some forum members have said it tends to happen when the car hasn't been driven, and the SC is about 20 miles from my house so the car was definitely 'warmed up' when I got there.
regardless of what some say, this particular problem with acceleration shudder in the 3-40 mph range is not reduced by "warming up". no such thing. Maybe you have a different problem. Once you get this, it doesn't go away at any temperature or any amount of "warming up" the car (whatever that means) :)

regardless of what some say, this particular problem with acceleration shudder in the 3-40 mph range is not reduced by "warming up". no such thing. Maybe you have a different problem. Once you get this, it doesn't go away at any temperature or any amount of "warming up" the car (whatever that means) :)

So true. Not temperature related, would be something else then.

BUT, something I have experienced with our MS 2016 (facelift), is that it depends on how the front wheels and then the half-shafts are aligned with each other. Sometimes the shudder is less, sometimes alot more. My personal experience is that after making some right or left turns for example, the wheels have changed their position related to each other and that either increases the shudder or decreases it.

A personal conclusion is that the problem is really the half-shafts and indirect the clevis mounts.
Weak half-shafts combined with a clevis mount that cant keep the shafts in place when accelerating, "bends" the shafts and you have the shudder depening on how the two shafts are related to each other...

If you're going for a service visit and can't replicate it, then make a 180° turn (for example) and try again.
I have done this even on loaners with shudder...works every time if you want to replicate it.

Anyone with the same experience (making some turns and the shudder gets less or worse)? :)

Just like some of the others I have recently gotten the motor mounts and axles replaced and do not have the shutter... What's even more interesting is it seems like the car is now more efficient as my daily commute of 240 mi used to be 330 wh/mi is now 305wh/mi.

I'll have to test this a bit more but I am definitely getting more miles in the 3 days that I've been driving... I used to get home with anywhere between 1 to 20 miles left... Now I'm getting home with 40 to 50 miles left

• Informative
Reactions: Cowby
Just like some of the others I have recently gotten the motor mounts and axles replaced and do not have the shutter... What's even more interesting is it seems like the car is now more efficient as my daily commute of 240 mi used to be 330 wh/mi is now 305wh/mi.

I'll have to test this a bit more but I am definitely getting more miles in the 3 days that I've been driving... I used to get home with anywhere between 1 to 20 miles left... Now I'm getting home with 40 to 50 miles left

It may be that the alignment was improved (part of changing the half shafts). Extra toe can have a noticable range impact, based on other's experience.

It may be that the alignment was improved (part of changing the half shafts). Extra toe can have a noticable range impact, based on other's experience.
Whatever it is I was never able to come even close to getting the 295 range (well 283 since I charge to 98 percent)... Now it seems like I'm going to get it every time.

To achieve the rated range I had to get around 320wh/mi... Now getting 305 I seem to be close to even better than the 283 miles... Seems a bit crazy but I'll keep you guys posted as I drove a bit more...I drive roughly 2000 miles per week so I should be able to tell if this is actually more efficient within a week

Reactions: mongo
Whatever it is I was never able to come even close to getting the 295 range (well 283 since I charge to 98 percent)... Now it seems like I'm going to get it every time.

To achieve the rated range I had to get around 320wh/mi... Now getting 305 I seem to be close to even better than the 283 miles... Seems a bit crazy but I'll keep you guys posted as I drove a bit more...I drive roughly 2000 miles per week so I should be able to tell if this is actually more efficient within a week
Do you keep the suspension on low or standard?

The fix is now available. Service Bulletin SB-19-39-001 R2 Dated 25 June 2019 applies and is a replacement of LH front drive unit Clovis mount and both front halfshaft. Applicable to all MX & MS 2014-2019 (before May 2019)
Great to hear. Informed purchaser of my 2016. No shudder on the my Blue Raven 2019 LR LUDICROUS. The only shudder now comes from the $255K Lambo Urus when the Blue Raven took back the world SUV fastest 1/4 mile record.

Getting denied to have the new Clovis mount covered as a warranty item since the warranty has expired on our 2016 X, despite it beginning and being "repaired" at least 2-3 times while we were under warranty. They want $2000 for the parts to repair it. Super frustrating as clearly it never was 'repaired', just replaced with new faulty parts. Still pursuing other leads, but may have to shell out the cash.

Getting denied to have the new Clovis mount covered as a warranty item since the warranty has expired on our 2016 X, despite it beginning and being "repaired" at least 2-3 times while we were under warranty. They want $2000 for the parts to repair it. Super frustrating as clearly it never was 'repaired', just replaced with new faulty parts. Still pursuing other leads, but may have to shell out the cash.
Good luck. The problem was clearly documented on your vehicle before the warranty expired, the fact that they did not have a fix until after should not be an excuse.