Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Accidentally ordered M3. Tesla won't give me my $2500 back. Need advice.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was playing around with the M3 configuration tool and accidentally clicked on the button to purchase the car. Tesla charged me $2500 and sent me an email saying I made a reservation. I immediately sent an email to customer support requesting that the reservation be canceled. I received an email back asking for some information, which I provided. The Tesla email said, "By replying to this email you hereby acknowledge and agree that all funds will be returned in the form of a check to the mailing address provided above in the next 30-60 business days." That was on Oct 19, 2018. It's now April 2019, and I still haven't received my $2500 back. I've talked to numerous people on the phone. They always say that they will get back to me, but they never do. One person said in order to get a response, send an email with "Refund Status Inquiry" in the subject. I did that, but I didn't get a response. Can anyone give me advice on what I need to do to get my $2500 back? Thanks!

I was playing around with the M3 configuration tool and accidentally clicked on the button to purchase the car. Tesla charged me $2500 and sent me an email saying I made a reservation. I immediately sent an email to customer support requesting that the reservation be canceled. I received an email back asking for some information, which I provided. The Tesla email said, "By replying to this email you hereby acknowledge and agree that all funds will be returned in the form of a check to the mailing address provided above in the next 30-60 business days." That was on Oct 19, 2018. It's now April 2019, and I still haven't received my $2500 back. I've talked to numerous people on the phone. They always say that they will get back to me, but they never do. One person said in order to get a response, send an email with "Refund Status Inquiry" in the subject. I did that, but I didn't get a response. Can anyone give me advice on what I need to do to get my $2500 back? Thanks!

Check your credit card statement (the one you have on file) since last August, the refund may be there already

How do you "accidentally" enter all your credit card information and personal information ? Before I actually ordered I played with the configuration for weeks and never "Accidentally" clicked to the point that I had to enter my credit card information. SMDH

I agree. Accidentally placing such a significant order is unlikely.

Seems to be user error by clicking confirm too many times.

It’s possible to do this by accident if you already have a credit card linked to your account...and likely ALSO click on “accept” to complete the order...

Weird for sure-

When I ordered my car I configured and clicked thru to buy- since I have a CC linked it just immediately charged the card and confirmed the purchase.

Reactions: vickh and Ormond
Contact your credit card company....they will help.

This should be on reddit “oops didn’t mean to”. No one accidentally orders a model 3

I almost accidentally ordered two of them, rather than one. When I placed my order, Tesla's page errored out at the last minute and returned me to the main page. I thought the order hadn't gone through, so I began the process again. Fortunately, I decided to wait a few minutes to see if I got any e-mails from Tesla about the first order, and sure enough, an e-mail confirmation of the first order appeared before I finalized the second one.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
I accidentally ordered a 2nd Model 3 and advised them of the mistake. It took some time but they issued a refund.

Don't expect any pro-active communication from Tesla while waiting.

That is an easy fix. Just contact your CC company and advised them the website submitted it twice and they can deny the 2nd charge. I've had double charges happen (not via Tesla) and disputed them as soon as I knew of them and CC company was like no problem.

It’s possible to do this by accident if you already have a credit card linked to your account...and likely ALSO click on “accept” to complete the order...

Yes if you have an established account then when you click the "accept" to complete your order it should charge your CC.

IF you've never purchased anything on Tesla's website then you would have to "accidentally" navigate a few other pages to input your personal information then CC info then order then review and confirm all the information is correct then finally "accidentally" click "accept" before it would charge you.

How do you "accidentally" enter all your credit card information and personal information ? Before I actually ordered I played with the configuration for weeks and never "Accidentally" clicked to the point that I had to enter my credit card information. SMDH

It's actually easy to do, 100,000s of people already have credit cards on file with Tesla from S, X and 3 deposits. Its really just a single click.

Stay on them, I was building and ordering one with a friend and ordered by accident when we did not realize we were on my account instead of theirs.

Got the credit back within 4 days.

That is an easy fix. Just contact your CC company and advised them the website submitted it twice and they can deny the 2nd charge. I've had double charges happen (not via Tesla) and disputed them as soon as I knew of them and CC company was like no problem.
I didn't accidentally order the 2nd one until a couple of weeks later.

Short version of the story: It happened with one click. Very bizarre.

Reactions: Ormond