Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Active Noise Cancelling not included in my 2021.40.6 2021 Model S LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Absolutely ridiculous of Tesla. This should have been a day 1 feature.

False advertising is Tesla's MO. They see no problem advertising that the $100k car they're selling has ANC and will be delivered in February/March and then delivering a car without ANC in November. The Tesla fanboys don't see a problem either. But it's bullshit and it's illegal and unethical. It's nothing compared to Tesla's lies about FSD. But like I said, the car itself is great, so you have to decide whether to make a deal with the devil.

False advertising is Tesla's MO. They see no problem advertising that the $100k car they're selling has ANC and will be delivered in February/March and then delivering a car without ANC in November. The Tesla fanboys don't see a problem either. But it's bullshit and it's illegal and unethical. It's nothing compared to Tesla's lies about FSD. But like I said, the car itself is great, so you have to decide whether to make a deal with the devil.

Well, even when it actually comes out for everyone, it's no longer what was advertised - "Active Noise Cancelling" and is instead the inferior, "Active Road Noise Reduction."

Reactions: aerodyne and glide
Tesla rarely "promises" features. They do predict when new technology may become available, but they are breaking new ground here and it is not unusual for optimistic people to feel that everything will work out perfectly, which it seldom does.

• Disagree
Reactions: glide
Tesla rarely "promises" features. They do predict when new technology may become available, but they are breaking new ground here and it is not unusual for optimistic people to feel that everything will work out perfectly, which it seldom does.
Ummmm…it was a “promised” feature when I placed the order for the vehicle. It was not a “coming soon” feature like FSD.

Not sure why fanbois continue to make excuses for this company. Next thing you know, we’ll be hearing about how they are a “start-up” and “industry disrupter”. It’s been 13 years…

Ummmm…it was a “promised” feature when I placed the order for the vehicle. It was not a “coming soon” feature like FSD.

Not sure why fanbois continue to make excuses for this company. Next thing you know, we’ll be hearing about how they are a “start-up” and “industry disrupter”. It’s been 13 years…
Agreed completely. While I love Teslas, the way we’re treated as customers is such crap.

Well, even when it actually comes out for everyone, it's no longer what was advertised - "Active Noise Cancelling" and is instead the inferior, "Active Road Noise Reduction."
there is no difference in definition between ANC and ARNR. They are just terms. One cannot be inferior to the other. Noise cancelling is a technique of broadcasting the inverse sine wave in frequency and amplitude of a repeating noise. The lower frequency and consistent the noise is, the more effectively it can be cancelled. Headphones work the best at this as the microphone and cancelling speaker are fixed in position and close to the ear. The further you get away from the ear, the harder it is to achieve. the position needs to be known to roughly 1/4 of the wavelength to be effective otherwise it can actually amplify the noise.

You guys who do nothing but throw anti Tesla rhetoric are really tiresome.

there is no difference in definition between ANC and ARNR. They are just terms. One cannot be inferior to the other. Noise cancelling is a technique of broadcasting the inverse sine wave in frequency and amplitude of a repeating noise. The lower frequency and consistent the noise is, the more effectively it can be cancelled. Headphones work the best at this as the microphone and cancelling speaker are fixed in position and close to the ear. The further you get away from the ear, the harder it is to achieve. the position needs to be known to roughly 1/4 of the wavelength to be effective otherwise it can actually amplify the noise.

You guys who do nothing but throw anti Tesla rhetoric are really tiresome.

We can agree to disagree. I'm very much in tune (pun intended) with ANC, having used it for years with a variety of headsets. ANC tends to filter out engine noise etc, - those lower-pitch frequencies. It seems like that's not the case here, as the ANC (which covers a variety of frequencies, some better than others) has now become ARNR which, from people who have it, is covering a smaller number of frequencies, and by descriptions provided is noticeably less effective.

The proof will be when it rolls out to everyone, but thus far this seems like nothing but a downgrade. After all, Tesla went to the effort to change the name of the feature. Why bother? Same thing with the requirements for 200mph for the Plaid. Used to say it required correct wheels and tires, which Motortrend confirmed with Tesla was the Arachnids + Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, and now it just says, "paid upgrades." Doesn't take much to read between the lines here.

Reactions: aerodyne
We can agree to disagree. I'm very much in tune (pun intended) with ANC, having used it for years with a variety of headsets. ANC tends to filter out engine noise etc, - those lower-pitch frequencies. It seems like that's not the case here, as the ANC (which covers a variety of frequencies, some better than others) has now become ARNR which, from people who have it, is covering a smaller number of frequencies, and by descriptions provided is noticeably less effective.

The proof will be when it rolls out to everyone, but thus far this seems like nothing but a downgrade. After all, Tesla went to the effort to change the name of the feature. Why bother? Same thing with the requirements for 200mph for the Plaid. Used to say it required correct wheels and tires, which Motortrend confirmed with Tesla was the Arachnids + Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, and now it just says, "paid upgrades." Doesn't take much to read between the lines here.
I'll agree to disagree a bit further. You seem to imply that Tesla has tested 2 distinct products calling them ANC and ARNR. What are you basing this on? No specification has been provided for either name so how can they be compared?

I laid out the basics of how noise cancelling works and the challenges with distance to the ear. It doesn't matter what the source of the noise is, road, motor, etc what matters is the frequency, consistency of that frequency, and the amplitude. Owning products with ANC does not give you any insight into how it works.

• Disagree
Reactions: Pdubs and glide
from people who have it, is covering a smaller number of frequencies
Is there more insights into how this is supposed to work and how it actually performs? Is this only for the driver, which still has driver height and body posture differences, or for all passengers in the cabin, which seems like traditional noise reduction wouldn't work as well and actually leading to added noise?

I suppose at least Tesla didn't call the feature something like Full Noise-Cancelling which might set different expectations. ;)

Is there more insights into how this is supposed to work and how it actually performs? Is this only for the driver, which still has driver height and body posture differences, or for all passengers in the cabin, which seems like traditional noise reduction wouldn't work as well and actually leading to added noise?

I suppose at least Tesla didn't call the feature something like Full Noise-Cancelling which might set different expectations. ;)
Can only guess the front passengers. You can feel on the seat top on either side of the headrest on the front seats that there is something there. Don't know if that just microphones, or a driver as well to cancel noise. One mic and speaker per front passenger ear possibly. Lots of variables to make this effective.

I'll agree to disagree a bit further. You seem to imply that Tesla has tested 2 distinct products calling them ANC and ARNR. What are you basing this on? No specification has been provided for either name so how can they be compared?

I laid out the basics of how noise cancelling works and the challenges with distance to the ear. It doesn't matter what the source of the noise is, road, motor, etc what matters is the frequency, consistency of that frequency, and the amplitude. Owning products with ANC does not give you any insight into how it works.
As to your last sentence, absolutely, - I've not experienced Tesla's ARNR. I'm just saying it's telling that they no longer call it ANC. That said I can as close to guarantee you it's inferior to what we consider "normal" ANC (Sony XM4, Bose QC45, AirPods Pro, AirPods Max etc - all that I've used, and that work similarly).

Reactions: Issaction
As to your last sentence, absolutely, - I've not experienced Tesla's ARNR. I'm just saying it's telling that they no longer call it ANC. That said I can as close to guarantee you it's inferior to what we consider "normal" ANC (Sony XM4, Bose QC45, AirPods Pro, AirPods Max etc - all that I've used, and that work similarly).
Yes, and the Plaid is inferior in flight to an F15

I wonder if ANC or ARNR is going to come with the next Beta version (10.6) or fairly soon, like the regular updates have? I would like ANR and waypoints, which did not come with Beta 2021.36.8.8 (10.5). ( At least for my 2021 MSP) I had already gotten the Sentry camera App stream prior to 10.4.