Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Add Charge Indicator Ring to Door Handle Class Action...

How Many Charge Port Light replacements have you had?

Votes: 3 7.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 2.3%

• 5+

• 0 - I have not needed a charge port light replacement

Votes: 39 90.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SabrToothSqrl

Dec 5, 2014
PA
In addition to roughly 6-8 door handle failures, this is the THIRD failure of some blinking lights.

I don't know how Tesla can stay in business. By now I think they've put at least $10-20k into my car under warranty...

But that's not the issue. The issue is some stupid blinking lights shouldn't fail. This ring was installed only 2 months ago.

I don't abuse my charge port. Why is it failing so often? I just want it to work.

If anyone does have a class action on the door handles (unlike the last sell out?) please add charge rings.

How many is everyone else up to?

Attachments

• 30174046_10213991608477162_935706249_o.jpg
    30174046_10213991608477162_935706249_o.jpg
    264.8 KB · Views: 73
  • Disagree
Reactions: Ande and jaguar36
I would think this is a problem with the subcontractor, like the charge ports in the fall where they didn't fit superchargers because they were made a smidge too small. Who knows what specs they have for the electronic parts.

(And *that* seems to be another issue of why aren't the supercharger handles identical to the HPWC ones in the first place. WTF?!)

Seems to me all of these issues are to due with parts specs and QA, not actually 'Tesla'.

whine, whine, whine...

Think of it, if your typical charging connector have some damage, defect, reducing it's contact surface area, it will generate more heat, and over time damage any connector that does not fit perfectly.

This is like whining over "bad" tires that are punctured on a curb, maybe, after three times, the answer is not the tires ?

• Disagree
Reactions: SabrToothSqrl
According to the repair tech, he's done many of these.
I can't be the only one.
I don't have any reasonable explanation for why these break, other than, according to the tech, water gets in them, freezes, then they stop working...

According to the repair tech, he's done many of these.
I can't be the only one.
I don't have any reasonable explanation for why these break, other than, according to the tech, water gets in them, freezes, then they stop working...
This might be a good point. Maybe people can list the state they live in and if they had a failure, what month it happened?

I'm in FL, zero failures on a 2014 S, driven about 23,000 miles in S FL.

Apparently there is also more than one design. I have a 2013, so I can only assume I have the oldest design.

Here in PA we have this thing called weather. (I know, scary to any car maker from CA). that includes SNOW and WATER that falls from the sky on occasion.. even when it's zero to 32 degrees out...

Reactions: mrElbe
This was mine. Just a cosmetic issue, but I got it fixed just before warrantee ran out on my Late 2014 Model S, when I was getting other warrantee work done. I'm not sure wat time of year it happened; possibly May or June.

(I have a whole house surge suppressor.)

Charge port.jpg