Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Added a Hansshow Rear Climate Control & Heated Seat Screen To My 23 MYP (YT Video)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very welcome and totally agreed! this is what makes our community so awesome. Again, I’m not losing sleep but some absolutely lose there minds! Haha. I felt obligated to just warn as agai, some people get stupid nasty!

How are you liking the screen?
The screen is great with the one exception that it’s not relaying the information from the rear display to the front display. Works the other way around, but if the kids turn on the heated seats from the new display, it doesn’t show that they are active on the main UI.

Temperature changes don’t update on the main screen either. I’m sure it’s a software issue and hope that a firmware update comes out to address it soon. I opted not to use the passenger seat controls because my kids will probably burn out the motor on the seat lol

The screen is great with the one exception that it’s not relaying the information from the rear display to the front display. Works the other way around, but if the kids turn on the heated seats from the new display, it doesn’t show that they are active on the main UI.

Temperature changes don’t update on the main screen either. I’m sure it’s a software issue and hope that a firmware update comes out to address it soon. I opted not to use the passenger seat controls because my kids will probably burn out the motor on the seat lol

Have you or @JaeTheDev by chance asked about this and whether it is even possible to upgrade the unit's firmware?

Have you or @JaeTheDev by chance asked about this and whether it is even possible to upgrade the unit's firmware?
There is a way to upgrade the FW, I believe you have to connect a thumbdrive to the backside of the display. I can take a look to confirm.

Agree on the passenger seat option, wish it only displayed if the harness was connected enabling it.

My unit is not from Hansshow, it is from Satonic. I’ll try to get an answer on firmware from them before lunar new year begins, otherwise I’ll know the answer in 2 weeks lol

There is a way to upgrade the FW, I believe you have to connect a thumbdrive to the backside of the display. I can take a look to confirm.

Agree on the passenger seat option, wish it only displayed if the harness was connected enabling it.

My unit is not from Hansshow, it is from Satonic. I’ll try to get an answer on firmware from them before lunar new year begins, otherwise I’ll know the answer in 2 weeks lol
i looked quickly and didn’t see a spot to update the FW, but I’m sure I missed the card slot placement. Did you see where it is?

i looked quickly and didn’t see a spot to update the FW, but I’m sure I missed the card slot placement. Did you see where it is?
Ok I just got an email back from
Satonic, and there is a way to upgrade firmware. There is a USB-C port located on the actual PCB of the unit which is to be used for firmware updates only. If you remove the vent cover, on the back of the display, there is a black cover with two screws over the PCB. It’s located on that board. I’ll try to do a breakdown if I have a few minutes tomorrow.

Reactions: JaeTheDev
Ok I just got an email back from
Satonic, and there is a way to upgrade firmware. There is a USB-C port located on the actual PCB of the unit which is to be used for firmware updates only. If you remove the vent cover, on the back of the display, there is a black cover with two screws over the PCB. It’s located on that board. I’ll try to do a breakdown if I have a few minutes tomorrow.

Nice, man! I’ll take a look as well. Makes sense there’s a cover. That’s definitely why I missed it. Awesome update! Are you aware of any firmware update files that are newish?

Nice, man! I’ll take a look as well. Makes sense there’s a cover. That’s definitely why I missed it. Awesome update! Are you aware of any firmware update files that are newish?
They do not have one available as of yet. I gave them my feedback on the display as well.

I think they are trying to figure out the reverse updating still, meaning if I change the temp in the rear display, it shows on the main UI. It probably has to do with the Celsius to Fahrenheit conversion, if you noticed on these rear displays, the Fahrenheit temp is 3 digits, I.e. 72.3, 68.2 etc. I haven’t tried changing the tesla UI to Celsius to see if that fixes the problem. Just a suspicion.

They do not have one available as of yet. I gave them my feedback on the display as well.

I think they are trying to figure out the reverse updating still, meaning if I change the temp in the rear display, it shows on the main UI. It probably has to do with the Celsius to Fahrenheit conversion, if you noticed on these rear displays, the Fahrenheit temp is 3 digits, I.e. 72.3, 68.2 etc. I haven’t tried changing the tesla UI to Celsius to see if that fixes the problem. Just a suspicion.

Might be easier to get America to change to celsius ... just saying. :p

So the reason why this is so is that the rear connector only provides access to one CANbus, which is the Vehicle Bus. The display works by sending temperature commands directly to the VCRIGHT domain controller where the HVAC control lives (and actually it will accept temps .1C increments). The CAN signals for the UI display for temp are on the Ethernet bus which is deep in the dash connecting the MCU directly to the gateway. Since the rear display basically sends the same commands that the MCU would, and there is no complementary message for VCRIGHT to update the UI, the UI doesn't display the set temp, as the engineers designing the system understandably didn't take into account third party CAN injection devices when designing the messaging protocols. The reason why you have to manually set things like time zone and units is that these signals exist on the Chassis Bus, which is harder to access, with different solutions based on market and build date.

Reactions: pbcsd
So the reason why this is so is that the rear connector only provides access to one CANbus, which is the Vehicle Bus. The display works by sending temperature commands directly to the VCRIGHT domain controller where the HVAC control lives (and actually it will accept temps .1C increments). The CAN signals for the UI display for temp are on the Ethernet bus which is deep in the dash connecting the MCU directly to the gateway. Since the rear display basically sends the same commands that the MCU would, and there is no complementary message for VCRIGHT to update the UI, the UI doesn't display the set temp, as the engineers designing the system understandably didn't take into account third party CAN injection devices when designing the messaging protocols. The reason why you have to manually set things like time zone and units is that these signals exist on the Chassis Bus, which is harder to access, with different solutions based on market and build date.
So there is no real way to have the unit "check" the status of the main controller? I think both the temp and whether the heated seats are on or off are not updated.

So there is no real way to have the unit "check" the status of the main controller? I think both the temp and whether the heated seats are on or off are not updated.
Certainly there would be a way for the MCU to poll VCRIGHT for current set temperature, but as temperature set commands always come from either the display or the Tesla API, the display isn't polling the VCRIGHT for set temperature, because why would it? There's no scenario where this would happen on a factory car.

I really like the simplicity of this screen and how oem it looks. After less than 3 months though, the display portion has popped out of the housing and there is no way to put it back in. I would have thought it was pressure fit with clips but it is glued in. The other issue is that the display and housing are not the same shape and gluing it back in requires bending the display which could eventually lead to a failure. Great idea - poor workmanship. The warranty is supposed to be 1 year so hopefully Hansshow honors it without hassle.

I really like the simplicity of this screen and how oem it looks. After less than 3 months though, the display portion has popped out of the housing and there is no way to put it back in. I would have thought it was pressure fit with clips but it is glued in. The other issue is that the display and housing are not the same shape and gluing it back in requires bending the display which could eventually lead to a failure. Great idea - poor workmanship. The warranty is supposed to be 1 year so hopefully Hansshow honors it without hassle.
Following as I was considering one of these for our new Y when it arrives in a few weeks.

Mine did the same thing. I assume its from the climate, cold here in Rhode Islands, then using the heat, etc. That being said. I was able to glue to back easily, and from the front. I agree. Bad workmanship.

Mine did the same thing. I assume its from the climate, cold here in Rhode Islands, then using the heat, etc. That being said. I was able to glue to back easily, and from the front. I agree. Bad workmanship.
Glad you were able to glue it back. Unfortunately if i push down and glue one side , say the left, then the right side pops up about 3mm like a teeter totter and requires force and clamps to glue in back. I suspect clamping wont be very good for the screen. I'll wait for Hansshow to reply and will post my response.

Glad you were able to glue it back. Unfortunately if i push down and glue one side , say the left, then the right side pops up about 3mm like a teeter totter and requires force and clamps to glue in back. I suspect clamping wont be very good for the screen. I'll wait for Hansshow to reply and will post my response.
What if you glue one side, let it set, and then glue the other? Would that help? It’s Chinese New Year so not sure how much support you’ll get over the next week or so.